Western Digital BLACK SN850X 4TB $230 + extra 10% off & free 128GB flash drive/Wireless charger

Idle temps for this SN850X are 48C. My SK Hynix P31 is 39C. I do not have the included motherboard heatsinks installed on either of them. Although the WD drive is in the slot between the CPU and GPU, so I assume that limits airflow a bit. Probably will be fine for now, but in the summer I may put the heatsink on. The heatsink is massive and essentially has to be removed if I want to pull out my GPU for cleaning which is why I didn't install it initially.

For comparison, my current boot drive is a 2TB SATA Sandisk which is at 28C, and my WD black HDD is 32C.

What Crystal Disk Mark shows:

WD Black SN850X 4TB Benchmark New.jpg

Edit: Threw heatsink on, brought temps down by around 16C at load.

Last edited:
How does the WD 850x compare with Nextorage Japan 4 tb? Just bought a few of those for my ps5, steam drive and to host game servers.

Idle temps for this SN850X are 48C. My SK Hynix P31 is 39C. I do not have the included motherboard heatsinks installed on either of them. Although the WD drive is in the slot between the CPU and GPU, so I assume that limits airflow a bit. Probably will be fine for now, but in the summer I may put the heatsink on. The heatsink is massive and essentially has to be removed if I want to pull out my GPU for cleaning which is why I didn't install it initially.

For comparison, my current boot drive is a 2TB SATA Sandisk which is at 28C, and my WD black HDD is 32C.

View attachment 615510

In my G14 it idles at 39C. It just has a mobile RTX 4060, though and ASUS actually has semi decent conducting tape used. I figured temps wouldn’t be too much worse as I already had a 1TB SN850X that the 4TB replaced.

I couldn’t care less about battery life just focused on gaming in a hotel room with headphones.

EDIT: CrystalDiskMark and the temps during that test...really good, IMO! Looks like my mobile chipset is slower.
g14_4tb_sn850x.png

Last edited:
How does the WD 850x compare with Nextorage Japan 4 tb? Just bought a few of those for my ps5, steam drive and to host game servers.
Right off the bat - this SSD is by WD which is a well-known company with a great warranty. I have never heard of Nextorage - so unless it is a great deal cheaper I would say the WD is a far better drive - even if somehow the Nextorage is faster.

Damn I'm ready for it now and it's back up to $270 😫😩
I suppose I'll wait for a Christmas 🎄sale?

Damn I'm ready for it now and it's back up to $270 😫😩
I suppose I'll wait for a Christmas 🎄sale?

Current deal is $290, I think some coupons may or may not work as I got some emails with them. As of a day or so ago, when I added it to the cart you get a choice of a 64GB USB drive or SD card. Clearly not as good as it used to be. I believe SSD prices are going to go up a bit but hopefully they will re-run the same deal for Christmas.

If you want comparable performance to the WD Black 4TB you can get the Teamforce Cardea A440 Pro Aluminum 4TB instead for $219 on Amazon.

The version linked with the aluminum heatsink has better thermal performance, but if you can't afford the height clearance because you're installing it into a laptop for instance, just get the low profile version without the "Aluminum" tag.

Aluminum heatspreader:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JCCJSCN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Low profile heatspreader:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JCD3D7K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I went for the 2 TB low profile version instead for my laptop which is just $99:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JCCSZ4W?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Performance comparison:

1701808538914.png

Review article:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/team-group-t-force-cardea-a440-pro/3

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want comparable performance to the WD Black 4TB you can get the Teamforce Cardea A440 Pro Aluminum 4TB instead for $219 on Amazon.

The version linked with the aluminum heatsink has better thermal performance, but if you can't afford the height clearance because you're installing it into a laptop for instance, just get the low profile version without the "Aluminum" tag.

Aluminum heatspreader:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JCCJSCN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Low profile heatspreader:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JCD3D7K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I went for the 2 TB low profile version instead for my laptop which is just $99:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JCCSZ4W?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Performance comparison:

View attachment 618195

Review article:
Careful there is a set of testing done that shows only the SN850X not to have a cache problem like all of the other drives had. I just can't remember the link.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Careful there is a set of testing done that shows only the SN850X not to have a cache problem like all of the other drives had. I just can't remember the link.
To be accurate it’s not a cache problem. It’s a cache tradeoff in design. Once any SSD drive has saturated its cache typically between 200gb to 600gb you get a steep slowdown in throughput.

The ironic part is that drives with smaller cache generally has higher throughput in these cases because it has lower latency to work through smaller cache to the TLC data transfer. But in case where caches are not oversaturated, the bigger cache has better results for obvious reasons.

The sn850 has one of the bigger caches around 600gb.

To be accurate it’s not a cache problem. It’s a cache tradeoff in design. Once any SSD drive has saturated its cache typically between 200gb to 600gb you get a steep slowdown in throughput.

The ironic part is that drives with smaller cache generally has higher throughput in these cases because it has lower latency to work through smaller cache to the TLC data transfer. But in case where caches are not oversaturated, the bigger cache has better results for obvious reasons.

Do you have the literature of the tests? It's good information for the perspective buyers.

Well who has access to that new AI function that sums up YT videos?

Would you ask that AI to sum up all videos from levelonetech with mr. Allyn Malventano looking for mentions about drvie fullness and how accessing the lower layers (on a decently full drive) can only be done by changing all layers above it as well?
I can´t find it :banghead:

View attachment 615510

You might not be making %100 contact with the memory controller. It can be close to 50 degrees with less than perfect contact. When there is full %100 contact on the heat pads connected to the plate it should be closer to 40. I have three 4tb drives and they all are about 40c. If you care that is. Either that or the Z790 Aorus Master has an big ass heat plate which is why it's so cool lol.
Either way I needed to add an extremely thin thermal pad to the drives front and back because of the chips on the backside for the temps to drop down to 40.

Last edited:
You might not be making %100 contact with the memory controller. It can be close to 50 degrees with less than perfect contact. When there is full %100 contact on the heat pads connected to the plate it should be closer to 40. I have three 4tb drives and they all are about 40c. If you care that is. Either that or the Z790 Aorus Master has an big ass heat plate which is why it's so cool lol.
Either way I needed to add an extremely thin thermal pad to the drives front and back because of the chips on the backside for the temps to drop down to 40.

Yeah I will double check, though it was a pain to get it on. Idle temp right now is around 39-40C. I copy pasted two games onto the drive (source was on the drive) at the same time, each 85GB in size. Peaked at 54C. When I did one, it peaked 48C. That seems okay, but it is a cold day. I do worry about when it gets warmer and ambient temps rise.

What thermal pads did you add to it?

Yeah I will double check, though it was a pain to get it on. Idle temp right now is around 39-40C. I copy pasted two games onto the drive (source was on the drive) at the same time, each 85GB in size. Peaked at 54C. When I did one, it peaked 48C. That seems okay, but it is a cold day. I do worry about when it gets warmer and ambient temps rise.

Your issue isn't necessarily lack of perfect sized thermal pads. Get *any* heatsink on it- the motherboard-supplied, or a cheap $10 from Amazon, plus the slightest amount of airflow - they really don't need much. Without the airflow, the heatsink is just a heat capacitor and not benefitting the drive much during sustained operation once it's soaked.

Also, testing while the PC case is open versus closed makes a diff to airflow across motherboard (obviously), but people forget and then get a false sense of the readings. my SSDs are 10C cooler with all the case covers on.

Last edited:
Your issue isn't necessarily lack of perfect sized thermal pads. Get *any* heatsink on it- the motherboard-supplied, or a cheap $10 from Amazon, plus the slightest amount of airflow - they really don't need much. Without the airflow, the heatsink is just a heat capacitor and not benefitting the drive much during sustained operation once it's soaked.

Also, testing while the PC case is open versus closed makes a diff to airflow across motherboard (obviously), but people forget and then get a false sense of the readings. my SSDs are 10C cooler with all the case covers on.

I have the motherboard heatsink on it. That brought temps down by around 16C at load. Still thinking it will climb into the 60s at load (when copy/pasting large files) when it is hotter. My SK Hynix drive has a heatsink and runs about the same or cooler but that heatsink is a lot thinner; that also came with the motherboard.

WD has is in the slot between the PCI-E and CPU, and has the larger heatsink on it.

Check out these few.
https://www.xda-developers.com/best-thermal-pads/
I bought a multi sized pack and used the thinnest ones I believe 0.05 double check though.

Do you have the literature of the tests? It's good information for the perspective buyers.
It's from the Tom's Hardware article where they test specifically for performance after "hammering" the SSD cache by doing sequential writes for 15 minutes to saturate the drive's cache.

Admittedly this is a niche case usage for most people unless you move a lot of data for that amount of time but it demonstrates the throughput of the drive in an intense usage scenario.

In the benchmark below the performance of the A440 Pro is in red and the SN850 is in light blue. You can see a far bigger dropoff in performance for the SN850 in this use case scenario.

1702240981749.png

I'll quote the last sentence of that section and let you draw your own conclusions, "Recovery matched what we saw with the 2TB A440 Pro, although again the smaller cache design ensures a certain level of relatively high TLC performance."

You can read more the full article yourself in the link below.

Tom's Hardware testing article:

I thought you two were going to reference PCPartpicker's post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1146b0s/ssd_sequential_write_slowdowns/

^ The April 2022 TomsHardware test on SN850 2TB isn't relevant to this thread, because

A) 4TB SN850X > 2TB SN850X > 2TB SN850, if the same tests were re-done today it'd look different.
B) 4TB models = 2x the pSLC cache of 2TB models
C) There have been WD firmware updates since April 2022

chameleoneel The Reddit thread is interesting, and though the test patterns are different than what TomsHardware performed, the results looks congruent with other sources where 4TB SN850X shines in sustained write-performance tests relative to other drives in its class.

Bottom line there's no issue really with any of these drives, unless you're shuttling terabytes of files back and forth all day long, in which case you shouldn't be on M.2 to begin with since it's a price-performance tradeoff form factor, and instead should be on U.2 enterprise SSD's - they run way hotter, suck lots more power and most don't include end user support, but are rated for 1-3 DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day, overwriting the entire disk every 24hrs).

Last edited:
^ The April 2022 TomsHardware test on SN850 2TB isn't relevant to this thread, because

A) 4TB SN850X > 2TB SN850X > 2TB SN850, if the same tests were re-done today it'd look different.
B) 4TB models = 2x the pSLC cache of 2TB models
C) There have been WD firmware updates since April 2022

chameleoneel The Reddit thread is interesting, and though the test patterns are different than what TomsHardware performed, the results looks congruent with other sources where 4TB SN850X shines in sustained write-performance tests relative to other drives in its class.

Bottom line there's no issue really with any of these drives, unless you're shuttling terabytes of files back and forth all day long, in which case you shouldn't be on M.2 to begin with since it's a price-performance tradeoff form factor, and instead should be on U.2 enterprise SSD's - they run way hotter, suck lots more power and most don't include end user support, but are rated for 1-3 DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day, overwriting the entire disk every 24hrs).
Agreed. The splitting of hairs over nvme performance when 99% of people will never use them anywhere near these tests is a bit amusing.

Agreed. The splitting of hairs over nvme performance when 99% of people will never use them anywhere near these tests is a bit amusing.
True. Although good food for thought, the benchmarks mentioned above go into "extreme" case usages which won't even happen in normal everyday use.

Just a real life example - I installed Baldur's Gate 3 on a Sata III Corsair MX500 1TB SSD rated for 560 MB/S reads. Then I installed Baldur's Gate 3 also on the new A440 Pro 2TB version which I benchmarked on crystaldiskmark to read over 6400 MB/S on the gen4 interface on my motherboard for comparison.

I then took a stopwatch to time how long it took to load the game from first launch click to first menu. Exactly the same amount of time to load the game on each SSD within 1 second of each other! LOL where did the extra 5 GB/S advantage in read speeds go?

Maybe there will be a game that fully takes advantage of the increase in NVME speeds but I haven't found it yet. Hahaha.

Now If I move 500GB files between each drive, will I notice the difference? Probably, yes! But in reality how many games even read 500gb worth of files in a whole day of gaming?

Last edited:
True. Although good food for thought, the benchmarks mentioned above go into "extreme" case usages which won't even happen in normal everyday use.

Just a real life example - I installed Baldur's Gate 3 on a Sata III Corsair MX500 1TB SSD rated for 560 MB/S reads. Then I installed Baldur's Gate 3 also on the new A440 Pro 2TB version which I benchmarked on crystaldiskmark to read over 6400 MB/S on the gen4 interface on my motherboard for comparison.

I then took a stopwatch to time how long it took to load the game from first launch click to first menu. Exactly the same amount of time to load the game on each SSD within 1 second of each other! LOL where did the extra 5 GB/S advantage in read speeds go?

Maybe there will be a game that fully takes advantage of the increase in NVME speeds but I haven't found it yet. Hahaha.

Now If I move 500GB files between each drive, will I notice the difference? Probably, yes! But in reality how many games even read 500gb worth of files in a whole day of gaming?
Yup. This is why for normal joe rigs and for gaming, even a cheap gen3 nvme is just as viable as the most blazing fast gen4 drive.

Yeah only a handful of games can use the higher read. Even then the difference isn't too big. I assume it will become a bigger thing in the future, so going forward I would want all drives to be NVMe. The main reason to buy WD/Samsung/Crucial over other brands is generally these three are the most reliable and reputable.

I may have one of these drives I need to sell, new and unopened. Sent my first order (detailed above) back to WD for a free return. I kept the second order which was cheaper. For some reason WD declined the return. I chatted with WD customer service and am trying to get them to issue me the refund as their return policy does state free refunds on unopened orders, and their CS representative confirmed that. But the reason WD declined my return is "Non-WD Product." Which is concerning. I didn't even open the package, just had WD open a return, slapped their provided return label on it and shipped it back. So with luck I will get a refund, next best case is they send the package back with the new and unopened drive inside.

For me, some of the more common noticeable tasks that task the ability of my drive are dealing with multi-gigabyte archive files and copying thousands to tens of thousands (and occasionally hundreds of thousands) small to medium sized files at a time. When I went from WD Black 1TB platter drives to a pair of Sata III SSDs in RAID 0, I really noticed the difference. Many, many years later, when I jumped up to a Samsung 980 Pro, I again really noticed the difference. Temporarily using another machine with a then mid-range 1TB nvme drive with read/write in the 5,000 range, I didn't really feel much loss from the Samsung. Use case matters.

When it comes to a game, the biggest hurdles are going to be to what extent the launch system itself is the bottleneck rather than the bottleneck being transferring of the initial batches of files into RAM. For example, if a game has 20-30 seconds of un-skippable producer, studio, developer credit screens and animations, well you're stuck no matter how fast the drive is and the game can use that opportunity to pre-cache a good chunk itself while you wait.

On quite a few different tech/gaming podcasts its been described how one big advantage consoles tend to have over many mid range gaming rigs is the fast SSD helping move data around compared to people who are still using platter drives or a SATA III SSD.

Suppose this deal can be moved into the hot deals discussion section. Got back with WD, they claim I sent back a Samsung drive. I've never owned a Samsung drive in my life. I didn't even open the package. I assume someone in the warehouse opened packages and mixed my return with someone else's. Bit disappointing, because it looks like they will charge me $250 for who knows what kind of a Samsung drive. Had I known, I would have kept the 2nd drive.

I think I'll cross off both Amazon and WD web store for purchases in the future. Depending on how WD handles this, I may be done with WD completely.

Suppose this deal can be moved into the hot deals discussion section. Got back with WD, they claim I sent back a Samsung drive. I've never owned a Samsung drive in my life. I didn't even open the package. I assume someone in the warehouse opened packages and mixed my return with someone else's. Bit disappointing, because it looks like they will charge me $250 for who knows what kind of a Samsung drive. Had I known, I would have kept the 2nd drive.

I think I'll cross off both Amazon and WD web store for purchases in the future. Depending on how WD handles this, I may be done with WD completely.
Wow. That is cray. Sorry dude. Will they at least send you the drive you supposedly shipped them that wasn't WD???

Wow. That is cray. Sorry dude. Will they at least send you the drive you supposedly shipped them that wasn't WD???

Who knows. I'm probably going to have to call and waste a few hours more than likely. Chat customer support is more or less foreign people.

For the drive/order I did keep, great deal. For the other one, worst deal ever. :eek:

People often bad mouth Best Buy, but they do have a good return policy and being able to go in person for returns can have an advantage.

Who knows. I'm probably going to have to call and waste a few hours more than likely. Chat customer support is more or less foreign people.

For the drive/order I did keep, great deal. For the other one, worst deal ever. :eek:

People often bad mouth Best Buy, but they do have a good return policy and being able to go in person for returns can have an advantage.

Brick and Mortar stores absolutely do have an advantage for consumers in multiple ways. I always make it a point to buy from Microcenter/Costco (or Best Buy, but less likely) if I can, for anything that's a major purchase. My SN850X from Amazon has been working with no issues thankfully, but I can't say the same about the Thermaltake C700 CTE that I purchased off Amazon.

I found out one of the fans was defective and that the USB-C port on it was defective (I tested this with another case's internal USB-C cable). This is after Amazon already sent me a completely smashed in one that was "excellent" condition. The thing never actually shipped. Amazon does this shit all the time, where they will "secretly" just decide to not ship something if they don't want to eat the shipping cost of a high shipping item, if you've returned it more than once (even ignoring the fact that it was completely, 100% their fault the first one was returned). Obviously I could have contacted Thermaltake, but PC part RMAs tend to be a shitshow so I decided to just do an exchange. Welp yeah lo and behold, they didn't actually ship it. Eventually the shipment got "lost" and they just decided to let me keep it with a refund. So I got it for free (because I'm a Prime member, otherwise you can bet your ass they would have told me to pound sand), but I'm also stuck with a slightly broken case and have to track down some internal port replacement cable...

If I bought it at Microcenter, none of this would be an issue. I would have to drive there, but I would be in and out with a replacement in minutes. Of course part of this is that B&M stores HAVE to have better policies than online stores in order to compete. It's really hard to balance things for them, I'm sure. Just sucks that Microcenter didn't have the CTE C700 in stock at all. Every online retailer is probably like this, though I can see why. They have to balance the sheets, too. But Amazon specifically is annoying with their "no flexibility" policies that keep bending more and more in their favor every day.

Damn! That is crazy unfortunate, sorry to hear this happened to you especially since you were breaking these deals for them. Hopefully you can escalate with WD and make your case the package wasn't even opened.

But yeah that's why I try to deal with B&M and BB in particular for things I'm on the fence about with returns. Deal with a person, arms-length transaction that is completed with no chain of custody issues or unnecessary handling by 3rd party carriers or warehouse shenanigans. Honestly, BB probably made it SOP to make people pick up GPUs in person over the last few years for this very reason, simple cost-benefit shrinkage analysis. If an item is unopened they just glance at it, if it is open of any value, they'll have a Geek Squad person walk over and verify the part is the same and approve the return. Done and done, no surprises for anyone after I have that receipt and walk out the door.

The other part of it is.....hate to say it. People who tend to buy tech-related stuff are scammy. Some are even dumb enough to brag about their scammy behavior on forums like its acceptable to engage in return/mail fraud and that encourages others to do the same. Used to see people post about it more casually but now at least they are smart enough to stay quiet about their scammy behavior. The downside is that over time, retailers have absolutely cracked down and become more draconian with their return policies and cynical with their views on returns. Sucks but when you see idiots bragging about putting a broken GPU in a box of a $1000 graphics card and getting instant-credit from Amazon, and some warehouse worker doesn't realize they got a paper weight until 3 months later, what do they do after thousands of people do this kind of abuse? They treat every return like its coming from a criminal.

Hopefully things work out in your case, I would be pissed for sure if I had to eat $230 and got nothing in return, but there is the chance the one they sent you was the result of some scam return who did replace it with a Samsung SSD or something.

Also a few other options if you wanted to go nuclear:

1. File a claim with your CC company. I've never done this and it'll probably get you banned from WD store forever, but you would most likely get your money back.
2. Go the press about it. I've seen articles in the past about dud iPads and CPUs replaced with stone tablets etc. in the past that leads to wider investigations and positive outcomes for customers, maybe that puts some pressure on WD, especially if you can find evidence of similar claims elsewhere. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Damn! That is crazy unfortunate, sorry to hear this happened to you especially since you were breaking these deals for them. Hopefully you can escalate with WD and make your case the package wasn't even opened.

More or less after calling them a few times, chatting with them and sending some emails it seems like they won't budge. I bought this order via PayPal, so I will have see how buyer protection works... seems like it is a shit show though.

I wouldn't have minded keeping the second drive. I could likely have sold it to someone here who missed the deal at cost as well. Now I am about the money and item.

The other part of it is.....hate to say it. People who tend to buy tech-related stuff are scammy.

I had this happen last month with Amazon. Took them something like 36 days to issue me a refund. The difference there is that they received and acknowledged they received the item. They just didn't want to issue a refund. Amazon does respond to BBB complaints though, and that seemingly compels Amazon to issue refunds. I have to assume this past year or so has seen scammer activity increase significantly.

1. File a claim with your CC company. I've never done this and it'll probably get you banned from WD store forever, but you would most likely get your money back.
2. Go the press about it. I've seen articles in the past about dud iPads and CPUs replaced with stone tablets etc. in the past that leads to wider investigations and positive outcomes for customers, maybe that puts some pressure on WD, especially if you can find evidence of similar claims elsewhere. Just a thought.

Yeah I'll have to do that. Really tired of sitting on the phone or chat with customer service right now. Guess I'll be banned from WD store but not a big deal if I get my money back. I am still looking at HDDs and WD has always been my favorite HDD brand as I've max mixed results with Toshiba and Seagate, so that is disappointing for me.

For the order I did receive, the drive works great. Though I worry if I have to send it in for RMA if something goes wrong.

For the past two years, I record opening most packages I receive in the mail.

Last month, I bought a 7800 XT from Amazon Warehouse (sold and shipped by Amazon), which said it included the original packaging. What I recieved and opened, contained an RX580 box (with Amazon warehouse stickers on it). Which I did not even touch. I immediately set the box aside, initiated a return with Amazon, and scheduled a UPS pickup (which Amazon gave me the option to do, directly).

Its been standard practice for awhile now, that larger PC parts such as motherboards and videocards, take 30+ days to refund with Amazon.

Flogger23m Sorry to hear what happened to you. I know it's not going to help you now but usually with expensive returns I actually film the product, the SN (if visible from outside the box), and then myself packing it together and putting on the shipping label in a single unbroken take. That way if they claim they got the wrong item, I can say well I have proof what I sent you was not what you are claiming. Someone once told me I was paranoid when I told them I did this but I always say well it's cheaper if it saves me a hassle one time. You only have to store the video till the refund comes through also so it's not like it eats up a lot of HD space in the long run.

chameleoneel I really should get in the habit of doing that also for stuff I receive. I am usually so eager to open the stuff I ordered it doesn't occur to me till well after that I'd have no proof if they shipped me the wrong product.

Back