We're in a hotel room. My dad's laptop connects to wifi. Mine does not. WHY???

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I have tried scouring the internet for a solution (using my dad's laptop) but every result I get addresses a home network, and people are talking about changing settings on the router. Obviously I can't do that, because it's not my router -- I'm in a lodge (by a ski resort). And the internet works just fine, because I'm typing this from my dad's laptop. Now, why the fuck is my laptop being denied internet connection??? :confused: :mad: This is super frustrating and super confusing. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I have a laptop running win 7 64x pro. My dad's is a macbook pro. My laptop connects to the network just fine, and the signal strength shows as good. But there's that yellow exclamation mark in the icon, and when I hover over it with my mouse pointer it says:

Unidentified network
No Internet access

Any other info I can provide that would be useful? I tried the automatic troubleshooter, and it reset the network adapter, but to no avail. I even tried plugging in my external network adapter -- it plugs in through a USB port -- which I happened to bring along, and that did not help either: same issue.

Wtf is going on?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update your WLAN drivers.

As far as no internet access goes.

If its Limited Connectivity, you could be in for a long
fight.

Make sure DHCP is enabled
Disable your AV software, especially if its Norton / Something with its own firewall
Boot to Safe Mode w/ Networking, see if you get a connect, if so, its your software firewall
You could also try and set a static IP based off the information thats on your dad's laptop.
Just add 10-15 #'s to your IP from his and give it a shot, it might screw up, it might work
but its at least worth a shot.

My first guess would be you only get one device connection included with your room/login.

My second guess is you have hard-set DNS in your computers configuration, change it to automatic/DHCP.

Have you tried opening a browser page to see if there's a login page from the lodge? Sometimes different OS's handle such things differently. If that's not it and your network settings are fine, my assumption is as someone else mentioned, you're probably limited to one connection at a time. Have you tried shutting his off and trying yours again?

Try these suggestions:

• On your laptop check TCP/IPv4 properties for a static DNS entry....change it to dynamic.
  • Update the wireless drivers on your laptop
  • See if you already have an wireless network with the same name already saved. Delete it if you do, and then try to reconnect.

My first guess would be you only get one device connection included with your room/login.

My second guess is you have hard-set DNS in your computers configuration, change it to automatic/DHCP.

I think you are right on the money. He likely is using a login, and it is limited. If it is a completely open network with no authorization, I am puzzled.

ok, this is beyond stupid. I came back from skiing today (laptop was in sleep mode), and IT WORKED. I did absolutely nothing different, simply woke my laptop from sleep mode. The network icon in the task tray now shows the network name (as opposed to "unidentified network" as before), and all is peachy.

The login thing was the very first thing I thought. I tried FF, IE, and Opera, and no login came up. And when it finally worked, I didn't have to do any login either. It says "Security Type: Unsecured" when I hover over the network name.

Also, my dad's laptop is also online right now, and there are no conflicts.

Soo.. anyone have any ideas about what the deal was??

Poorly configured setup on a very high traffic network.. it happens a lot in hotels especially if they were given generic no login access.

Poorly configured setup on a very high traffic network.. it happens a lot in hotels especially if they were given generic no login access.

does that mean the same thing i was thinking which is the network was full?

hmm interesting

We used to run into this a lot as we support between 800-1000 guest users at any one time. The initial growing pains were tough but Cisco controllers now support interface groupings allowing for more subnets to be added to the same SSID.

Also people don't set the DHCP leases short enough for public networks. Your pool gets eaten up by devices that aren't even still connected. I usually do an 8 hour lease for public wifi.

Back