Well what do we have here?

so where's the logs from the
Blue-Knocker showing what a killer card it is? :rolleyes: :p
 
Does screen saver/power savings (monitor turning off) screw these up?
 
Power saver, no. Screensaver with lock, yes. Non-3D screen savers behave okay and don't really slow things down, i.e. the windows xp moving logo saver. Heavy 3D ones, pipes, will run, but compete with the client for cycles on the GPU. Fullscreen, like ATI's space screen saver, will stop the client.
 
Thanks Mike. Something killed it off last night, I don't think I had a screen saver on (never do, clean install) and just tested power save and it worked.

Huh.
 
Changing desktop resolutions not such a good idea...
 
Yep, that'll do it. Anything that causes a board reset, like changing resolutions or changing clocks is bad. Or, going into exclusive mode, like a full screen game, screen lock, fast user switch, etc, will take the context away from us.
 
mhouston said:
Yep, that'll do it. Anything that causes a board reset, like changing resolutions or changing clocks is bad. Or, going into exclusive mode, like a full screen game, screen lock, fast user switch, etc, will take the context away from us.

That is not good. I understand it is a beta. Lots to improve on before a wide release.

Anyone I know that pays this much for a super GPU wants to use it, now and then, for things other than folding. Like a game.

Good luck fixing these issues. I'm looking forward to the r600 and saving my money!
 
It's actually not an issue on our side, but how Windows XP interacts with the GPU. Vista should solve some of these issues, but we haven't dug much into things there. You can stop the client at anytime and restart where you left off if you want to game or watch a video. In the end, you are trying to timeslice a processor never designed to do that, with an OS not designed to share the GPU well.
 
any word on how CPU/GPU interaction is coming? IE GPU client using less CPU resources.
 
mhouston said:
It's actually not an issue on our side, but how Windows XP interacts with the GPU. Vista should solve some of these issues, but we haven't dug much into things there. You can stop the client at anytime and restart where you left off if you want to game or watch a video. In the end, you are trying to timeslice a processor never designed to do that, with an OS not designed to share the GPU well.
Less excuses, more fixes.
:p :D
 
marty9876 said:
any word on how CPU/GPU interaction is coming? IE GPU client using less CPU resources.

We are playing with this. I think we can yeild a little better to other processes, but this may take awhile to play with. We still are seeing a few issues with the main core on a few WUs that we are still tracking down.
 
mhouston said:
We are playing with this. I think we can yeild a little better to other processes, but this may take awhile to play with. We still are seeing a few issues with the main core on a few WUs that we are still tracking down.


well that don't sound too promissing. I think when this first started you said DX 10 would help this a bunch.

Any word on if a faster CPU improves frame times on the same video card?
 
We don't yet know how well DX10 will help as we don't have the boards and OS to test. Vista is supposed to handle this better with DX10, we shall see.
 
I haven't done a lot of testing of this. You may want to ask here or on the folding forums. The expectation is that CPU won't matter much if you are farming, but slower CPUs will impact the usability of the system for other stuff.
 
I had my card in a 2.66 Celeron and a P4 D 3.0 system and I think the frame times were very close, +/- seconds not minutes.

I really should write some of this crap down... ;)
 
Back
Top