Well so much for AMD getting priority with HBM 2

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-outs-imac-with-8k-display-for-later-this-year/

The display maker says 8K means images as sharp as the human eye can discern, and indicates that Apple has an "iMac 8K" coming this year.

Can anyone tell me how AMD plans to release a video card to drive a 8k monitor within the next 6-8 months? I dont see anyone gaming on this monitor with an AMD card anytime soon

iMacs use laptop parts and eDP v1.4a supports up to 8K. According to VESA, "it is anticipated that eDP 1.4a will be used within systems by 2016", so just about the same time frame as LG from your source. I don't see anyone gaming on that monitor at 8K with any kind of video card anytime soon.

Stock price by itself doesn't have anything to do with it, but if we look at actually assets + cash and cash equivalents vs. debt and compare that to AMD's market performance over the past 2 years, gives us why the stock price is so low.

And at the current rate they are burning cash, they only have 5 quarters to go before they have no cash so UnrealCpu, 829 million in cash isn't much for them at this point.

stock price has alot to do with it HENCE why AMD has no capital and is clearly reflected on the stock price and performance of the company.. If you are going to be a successful company you need money and it clearly shows AMD has none for R&D for future products.

I would not doubt it if samsung takes over AMD. Shame since AMD is an american company

AMD holds the patent for HBM and actually did most of the work in it. AMD stated they are not going to ask for any royalties for HBM use.
http://www.google.com/patents/US20130346695

Nvidia and AMD has a cross license agreement as well, so Nvidia already knew HBM will be available for them in addition if Nvidia didn't agree to use HBM I am sure Hynix and Samsung would have had second doubts in mass producing it. For AMD getting the price down means allowing a more free use of the new standard which AMD worked with Jedec for a open standard.

In short if AMD restricted access, charged royalties etc. HBM may have not have even gotten to the HBM stage. The first dibs for HBM to AMD from Wccftech.com on HBM2 appears totally wrong.

If mass production of HBM2 starts first quarter next year, the earliest I see Pascal using it would be June and more like Sept-Oct of next year. As for AMD they also have a tape out of a few 14nm parts, as for what I do not know. When will HBM2 hit the stage? Who knows but it does not look like anytime soon ~year +.

AMD holds the patent for HBM and actually did most of the work in it. AMD stated they are not going to ask for any royalties for HBM use.

Nvidia and AMD has a cross license agreement as well, so Nvidia already knew HBM will be available for them in addition if Nvidia didn't agree to use HBM I am sure Hynix and Samsung would have had second doubts in mass producing it. For AMD getting the price down means allowing a more free use of the new standard which AMD worked with Jedec for a open standard.

In short if AMD restricted access, charged royalties etc. HBM may have not have even gotten to the HBM stage. The first dibs for HBM to AMD from Wccftech.com on HBM2 appears totally wrong.

If mass production of HBM2 starts first quarter next year, the earliest I see Pascal using it would be June and more like Sept-Oct of next year. As for AMD they also have a tape out of a few 14nm parts, as for what I do not know. When will HBM2 hit the stage? Who knows but it does not look like anytime soon ~year +.

Very interesting
Thanks for the info.

Stock price by itself doesn't have anything to do with it, but if we look at actually assets + cash and cash equivalents vs. debt and compare that to AMD's market performance over the past 2 years, gives us why the stock price is so low.

And at the current rate they are burning cash, they only have 5 quarters to go before they have no cash so UnrealCpu, 829 million in cash isn't much for them at this point.

I forgot to mention Samsung makes about 850million positive cash flow the last 2 years that i know of.
So yeah you are right about AMD cash flow
IT sucks!

Yep, HBM wouldn't have gotten anywhere without handing it to JEDEC as an open standard. It benefits AMD for everyone to start using it so they can purchase it in mass quantities at cheaper prices than if they had exclusive rights to it. I imagine if they tried that, NVIDIA probably would've used the new faster GDDR5X as a stop gap until something better came along. AMD does deserve credit though for pioneering work on HBM. If AMD doesn't make it for some reason, I hope their engineers find a new home at NVIDIA or other places.

stock price has alot to do with it HENCE why AMD has no capital and is clearly reflected on the stock price and performance of the company.. If you are going to be a successful company you need money and it clearly shows AMD has none for R&D for future products.

I would not doubt it if samsung takes over AMD. Shame since AMD is an american company

I think the chances of Samsung taking over AMD are slim to none.

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out why the hell I should even care. :rolleyes: As long as AMD is around, I will be buying their GPU's since they perform very well. Oh, wait, fanboys must look down on AMD buyers and users, never mind, carry on. :D

Still trying to figure out why the hell I should even care. :rolleyes: As long as AMD is around, I will be buying their GPU's since they perform very well. Oh, wait, fanboys must look down on AMD buyers and users, never mind, carry on. :D

It's not really looking down on AMD but more to quell the b.s perpetuated by WCCFTech and many AMD fans of AMD having priority with HBM 2. If anything, I'm glad AMD developed HBM.

Stock price by itself doesn't, PE ratio, P/L ratio have better correlation than just the price of the stock.

Now if we calculate the outstanding shares with the stock price and compare that to what the company is true worth then yes that will also give us an understanding of how healthy a company is too.

You insulted fanboys immediately after admitting to being one. Impressive.

Stock price by itself doesn't, PE ratio, P/L ratio have better correlation than just the price of the stock.

Now if we calculate the outstanding shares with the stock price and compare that to what the company is true worth then yes that will also give us an understanding of how healthy a company is too.

yeah i took graduate finance class

LOL Nvidia was using HBM2 from the beginning. How is this news and why does this matter? and how does it benefit either company? People need just more reason to argue about stuff like this, nvidia vs amd. I don't think either will have shortage of HBM2, let the products talk. And I don't understand about how amd is not competitive. They compete just fine with Nvidia, may not overclock like hell. 390 vs 970 and 390x vs gtx 980. Fury is too big and to early of a product on HBM, HBM2 and 14nm will be what matters. If amd is on 14nm and Nvidia on 16nm, AMD will certainly be able to put more under the hood. Time will tell, for me both companies are competitive, but dumb moves by AMD and not lowering the prices on 290x series on time and stupid bitcoin craze just hurt them.

LOL Nvidia was using HBM2 from the beginning. How is this news and why does this matter? and how does it benefit either company? People need just more reason to argue about stuff like this, nvidia vs amd. I don't think either will have shortage of HBM2, let the products talk. And I don't understand about how amd is not competitive. They compete just fine with Nvidia, may not overclock like hell. 390 vs 970 and 390x vs gtx 980. Fury is too big and to early of a product on HBM, HBM2 and 14nm will be what matters. If amd is on 14nm and Nvidia on 16nm, AMD will certainly be able to put more under the hood. Time will tell, for me both companies are competitive, but dumb moves by AMD and not lowering the prices on 290x series on time and stupid bitcoin craze just hurt them.

just buy a 980 :D
faster , cooler, and better driver support.:D

Personally I dont see why anyone would want a 290x now with much better options out there

kinda like the AMD Fury card at the price it is at now

I am still confused what engineer decided it was ok not to put HDMI 2.0 on a Fury card

I mean my one year old GTX 980 MSI forza card has HDMI 2.0

The only people competing against themselves right now is AMD charging an outrageous price for their Flagship card.

Why buy it dead when alive is so much more fun? :D

Buy two and you get a three pack of tarantulas free!

Mr. Bluntman i notice you have some retro systems in your sig.

Do you find having a Pentium 233mhz necessary when you have a athlon for dos games?
Too much of a speed increase in certain games?

thanks!

I remember it being that AMD had the first go at HMB because they were more vested in using it. Never that they had gotten exclusivity.

Do you find having a Pentium 233MHz necessary when you have an Athlon for DOS games?
Too much of a speed increase in certain games?

Thanks!

That's... part of it. First off, it's easier to slow down a Pentium MMX to 386 DX33 levels by turning off all the caches (disabling just the external L2 will slow it down to 486 DX2 levels). Second, Voodoo Graphics cards do not play nice with fast FSB systems - Athlons in particular.

Even though the Voodoo5 5500 in the Athlon has great compatibility with older Glide stuff, the earliest titles using the original glide.dll file like MechWarrior 2, Screamer 2, Whiplash, or Scorched Earth refuse to work.

So, this is why I have 2 separate retro builds, to maximize compatibility for older games. All I really need now to complete the circle is a 19" Trinitron monitor and a Roland MT-32/Sound Canvas - which in my area is like trying to find a virgin in a maternity ward.

Last edited:
I remember it being that AMD had the first go at HMB because they were more vested in using it. Never that they had gotten exclusivity.

I could see corporate politics playing into it too. "How do we get an edge" to engineering. What I've noticed is in corporations once someone gives an idea they'll defend it to the death even if it's proven wrong.

Last edited:
That's... part of it. First off, it's easier to slow down a Pentium MMX to 386 DX33 levels by turning off all the caches (disabling just the external L2 will slow it down to 486 DX2 levels). Second, Voodoo Graphics cards do not play nice with fast FSB systems - Athlons in particular.

Even though the Voodoo5 5500 in the Athlon has great compatibility with older Glide stuff, the earliest titles using the original glide.dll file like MechWarrior 2, Screamer 2, Whiplash, or Scorched Earth refuse to work.

So, this is why I have 2 separate retro builds, to maximize compatibility for older games. All I really need now to complete the circle is a 19" Trinitron monitor and a Roland MT-32/Sound Canvas - which in my area is like trying to find a virgin in a maternity ward.

I have an MT-32 that despite my noble designs haven't made use of other than to test it when I got it. It's in good shape, and I may (will need to check) have the manual for it too. PM me if you'd like to talk about acquiring it. I'll let it go for less than what I'm seeing on ebay...

Also, sorry for the O/T.

In my defence a dead snake is far more useful. It can be cooked. I can even make a pair of boots with the remaining skin or a snake wallet and a rattlesnake penaant

But how long has it been dead? Is it diseased? Has it recently shed its skin? These are details that very much impact the going rate, and how palatable it would be as food, useful for wallet-building, etc.

I have an MT-32 that despite my noble designs haven't made use of other than to test it when I got it. It's in good shape, and I may (will need to check) have the manual for it too. PM me if you'd like to talk about acquiring it. I'll let it go for less than what I'm seeing on ebay...

Also, sorry for the O/T.

Aww, snap. PM sent!

Apologies as well to the thread for off topic.

We all lose if AMD exits the market and there is no competition...

And how do we "win" if AMD is just flat-out failing to compete?

AMD: Yesterday's performance, tomorrow.

I like how the title is snarky but misleading.
It was HBM 1 they got priority with not HBM 2.
I am sure some raging fanboys said otherwise, but is that really worth a thread?
Official word was always something along the lines of we did it first but soon everyone can use it.

I am sure some raging fanboys said otherwise, but is that really worth a thread?

We always need at least one live bash AMD thread. It's like picking on the wimpy kid at school. It's easy and it makes you feel good and superior.

Gozer was a demigod worshiped by the Shuhites, Mesopotamians, and the Sumerians. :p

I thought it was already rumored when HBM first came out that NVIDIA would be getting in on HBM2 at the same time.

Back