Well... like a dummy. I used windex on my LCD.

PhattyT

Limp Gawd
Like the title says.... i used windex on my LCD like a moron and now there's a yellow blob on the bottom corner. Looks like it's spreading and i believe i might of damage the LCD.

Any clue as to how to fix this? or am i S.O.L.? :(

Thanks.

Sounds like a reaction with the screen's coating, the best I can suggest is attempting to rinse it off with water and wish you good luck. *You'll Need It*

Sounds like a reaction with the screen's coating, the best I can suggest is attempting to rinse it off with water and wish you good luck. *You'll Need It*

NOT rinse...lol

Wipe with a damp (but not dripping when it's pressed) cloth.

Though, it may be too late?

thanks guys... I recently bought it used from a local who bought it new beginning of august... if he still has the receipt... do you think i'll be able to some how get a new one from the company?

NOT rinse...lol

Wipe with a damp (but not dripping when it's pressed) cloth.

Though, it may be too late?

lol definately with a cloth (I would use a cotton) not just sticking it under the kitchen sink. :eek:

I think your odds of getting this covered under warranty are rather low. Most companies take at least minimal steps to prevent obvious fraud/abuse these days. :eek: Sure you can place a little blame on the LCD manufacturers for making screens that can't handle Windex as that does stink, but it's been at least somewhat common for years. I know it hurts to do something silly like that (ok maybe not exactly like that) but this is one to just mark it down as an irritating life lesson and move on.

Last edited:
thanks guys... I recently bought it used from a local who bought it new beginning of august... if he still has the receipt... do you think i'll be able to some how get a new one from the company?

Not a chance.
You can ask if they do repairs which you will have to pay for and the 2 way postage.
They probably wont though.

I was just starting to think about ways to clean my screen and the windex bottle isn't too far from my desk...sorry you had to be the one to find out! The link says
"next time, dont use all purpose anything. use "screen" type, cuz thats wats best. so go to the store and ask a pharmacist..."
What is "screen" type? anything more specific than that? Are the wallmart wipes better?

good luck Phatty T :)

Next time just use a regular microfiber cloth, which are available just about everywhere. If there's a stain, just use a slightly water damped cloth.

Agreed.
The screen layers are permeable by water and other liquids, especially solvent based cleaners.
As water is much much slower to impregnate, it is safe to use for cleaning if the water is removed quickly.

Like the title says.... i used windex on my LCD like a moron and now there's a yellow blob on the bottom corner. Looks like it's spreading and i believe i might of damage the LCD.

Any clue as to how to fix this? or am i S.O.L.? :(

Thanks.

How old is the monitor? If you just bought it from a place like BBY, you can just return it. This happened to me 2-3 years ago when I bought a new monitor and the next day my mom wiped it down with windex. There was a yellow blob in the bottom right hand corner. I returned it to Best Buy and said it was defective and they didn't really care so they gave me a new one. They only ask you if the product your returning is defective so they can make a note of it when they send it out for repair/back to the manufacturer.

Just DON'T tell them you did it haha.

Also, if you it's outside of a return policy, you might be effed. :(

Just use a clean, damp cloth towel or shirt or something in the future (water only). And be sure to dry it with the other side of the towel. Gently.

Good luck for now though!

They do make LCD cleaning solution, it's pretty inexpensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plasma-Screen-C...in_0?hash=item5ad3562b2b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Basically, you only use the solution for what ever a brush or cloth won't remove. Never used compressed air or solvent based solutions. Compressed air can blow the particles into the panel and under the film, and solvents can damage the AG coating or penetrate the film itself. Never put more pressure on the screen than is needed to remove the dust and other debris, just lightly wipe or brush the debris away.

For dust, I actually use those new duster cloths from Swiffer, and then a micro-fiber cloth for anything more stuborn, and the cleaning solution on any sticky stuff.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Monitor cleaning solution is just isopropyl alcohol and water. put a 20/80 solution of this in a spay bottle and wipe with a microfiber cloth.

Windex has ammonia in it, which is terrible for LCD panels. I'd bet that you permanently damaged the LCD.

At one time I thought Windex was ammonia-free (so it didn't eat your car's paint job
when you cleaned the windows). Luckily I haven't used it on my car windows in a long time
because I just took a look at my Windex Bottle: "...with AMMONIA-D*"

A friend sent me a kind of stuffed toy with a very soft bottom that was advertised as a Monitor
Screen cleaner and it's what I always used on my Sony G420 CRT, with nary a scratch or scuff.
I've left the plastic protector sheet on this relatively new Hann-G so cleaning it hasn't yet been
an issue. I think I'll keep it that way for now ;)

A long time ago someone else turned me on to sprayed on water and crumpled-up newspaper for
cleaning mirrors and stuff, and it works surprisingly well, no streaks or anything. But I wouldn't try it
on a monitor because the sprayed/misted-on water would pool at the bottom of the screen before I
could wipe it off.

Sorry to hear about your accidental disaster. It looks like you are going to have to pony up for either a
repair job or buying a replacement monitor. Bummer.

Last edited:
...and the cleaning solution on any sticky stuff.

:eek:

Just kidding :p

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to start using a brush. I don't clean lcds often but when I do I use lcd monitor cleaning solution sprayed directly onto the panel and then wipe it away with the included microfiber cloth which is apparently the wrong thing to do as mentioned in this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=715674

but the product was designed to be used that way so it's a bit confusing...

At one time I thought Windex was ammonia-free (so it didn't eat your car's paint job
when you cleaned the windows). Luckily I haven't used it on my car windows in a long time
because I just took a look at my Windex Bottle: "...with AMMONIA-D*"

A friend sent me a kind of stuffed toy with a very soft bottom that was advertised as a Monitor
Screen cleaner and it's what I always used on my Sony G420 CRT, with nary a scratch or scuff.
I've left the plastic protector sheet on this relatively new Hann-G so cleaning it hasn't yet been
an issue. I think I'll keep it that way for now ;)

A long time ago someone else turned me on to sprayed on water and crumpled-up newspaper for
cleaning mirrors and stuff, and it works surprisingly well, no streaks or anything. But I wouldn't try it
on a monitor because the sprayed/misted-on water would pool at the bottom of the screen before I
could wipe it off.

Sorry to hear about your accidental disaster. It looks like you are going to have to pony up for either a
repair job or buying a replacement monitor. Bummer.

well apparently your doctors visit went ok, because you are still posting every day, but i am somewhat confused about why you refuse to answer my pm's. bummer.

if you changed your mind about buying that stuff, just man up and let me know.

Monitor cleaning solution is just isopropyl alcohol and water. put a 20/80 solution of this in a spay bottle and wipe with a microfiber cloth.

yup. apple even tells people to make their own solution, no need to buy unless you just like the convenience of getting dust free cloths to use too.

without a picture is hard to tell, but he might just have liquid rising up through capillary action. if he just waits a few weeks it will dry up and be nearly as good as new.

That's kind of gay, I didn't know you weren't supposed to use cleaners on LCD's. I always spill pop or beer on my CRT and sometimes sneeze on it. How are you supposed to clean an LCD properly geez. I just get out the Windex bottle and all is good.

That's kind of gay, I didn't know you weren't supposed to use cleaners on LCD's. I always spill pop or beer on my CRT and sometimes sneeze on it. How are you supposed to clean an LCD properly geez. I just get out the Windex bottle and all is good.

even some crt's are coated with a finish on the glass, and windex can ruin those screens too. amonia = BAD for plastics. i honestly wonder why windex still uses ammonia, you would think there would be better alternatives by now.

If you're referring to AR coated glass, I'm not sure if my monitor has it, but I haven't noticed any problems in that regard.

Though I am starting to get a minor screen shake, which is of course unrelated. I think it might finally be starting to give up the ghost after more than 9 years. :(

I want another CRT, not an LCD type, but I don't want to spend $800 on an new FW900 (if I can find one).

Wow...I have to admit I'm a little baffled as to why someone would use glass cleaner on plastic. If the screen is actually discolored now, I would say it's likely that you've permanently damaged it. The company is not going to give you a new one...why would they? It's not a defect...you damaged it. You can try some of the suggestions others mentioned like rubbing it with a slightly damp cloth. There is a good chance that you are going to have to have it repaired or buy a new one though (or live with the damaged one).

Soak it with cat urine. The acid in it will dissolve the ammonia D and create a reaction leaving the screen crystal clear and lemony fresh to boot.

^ are you serious or joking with the cat urine one? lol

It's a lesson learned and i've moved on. I'm just hoping it doesn't spread... it blends in during movies though so i can deal with it for now. Thanks everyone!

^ are you serious or joking with the cat urine one? lol

It's a lesson learned and i've moved on. I'm just hoping it doesn't spread... it blends in during movies though so i can deal with it for now. Thanks everyone!

Sorry! best of luck (and good memo for me!).

Stop being a klutz and turn away when you sneeze. I've owned my current monitor for about two years and it has A) Never had anything spilled on the screen B) Never been sneezed or coughed on C) Never been touched by human fingers. Consequently, spraying it occasionally with an air can is the only cleaning it's ever needed.

If you're referring to AR coated glass, I'm not sure if my monitor has it, but I haven't noticed any problems in that regard.

Though I am starting to get a minor screen shake, which is of course unrelated. I think it might finally be starting to give up the ghost after more than 9 years. :(

I want another CRT, not an LCD type, but I don't want to spend $800 on an new FW900 (if I can find one).

Figured out my screen shake problem. It was the power adapter for my Bose stereo speakers plugged in above and behind the monitor. That's okay though, I went looking for a new monitor and found several cherry condition 22" flat screen CRT's at state surplus for $5 apiece. Right now I'm running a minty Diamond Pro 2070SB made in December of 2005. There's nothing like a large flat screen CRT for movies and gaming. :D This monitor has a friggin huge viewable area. 20" diag. And now I've got a couple more for backup. :D

Even as a lubricant?

Not only that, I even use it on ur mum. ;)

Last edited:

Windex has ammonia in it, which is terrible for LCD panels. I'd bet that you permanently damaged the LCD.

perfect, thanks

Back