Weirdest Problem I've Ever Encountered

tinate

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a second 7970 for CFX, and I've been having some issues with the drivers. Initially, I thought waking up to a computer that had no hard drive activity light blinking and wouldn't wake up (but I heard the fans) was a result of bad drivers, so I've been troubleshooting that. I have since become aware that my internet (wireless included) does not work when my computer is in this state. As soon as I reset my computer, my internet works again. This includes multiple devices - phone, laptop, tablet.

It makes absolutely no sense to me. What in the world would my computer have to do with my router not functioning correctly...

Defective motherboard spamming the router with requests?

What is the computer supposed to be doing when you wake up to this problem? By that, I mean that are you having it doing something overnight, like bitcoin mining?

How old is your power supply? My power supply recently died and the first symptons was my PC not waking up from sleep.

What is the computer supposed to be doing when you wake up to this problem? By that, I mean that are you having it doing something overnight, like bitcoin mining?

It's not doing anything overnight. It's just idle.

How old is your power supply? My power supply recently died and the first symptons was my PC not waking up from sleep.

This likely isn't the problem. Not only is my power supply only about a year old, but it certainly doesn't explain my internet not working until I reset my computer.

I guess then the question is, is the PC making the router freeze, or is the router making the PC freeze?

Which router do you have? It may have log files that you can peruse to see what kind of activity is making this happen, and you may be able to update its firmware.

On the PC side, the obvious place to start is the LAN drivers; since the LAN Is the Intel 82579V, the latest drivers are version 18.3, released May 15.

There's a huge, long thread at Intel about the 82579V having disconnect problems, but what they describe there doesn't seem to match your problem. The very last post does say this, though, and I quote directly:

final solution seems to be : Disable "Turn on fast start-up" in the power options - "choose what the power buttons do "

I would be curious if turning off fast startup solves your problem.

I guess then the question is, is the PC making the router freeze, or is the router making the PC freeze?

Which router do you have? It may have log files that you can peruse to see what kind of activity is making this happen, and you may be able to update its firmware.

On the PC side, the obvious place to start is the LAN drivers; since the LAN Is the Intel 82579V, the latest drivers are version 18.3, released May 15.

There's a huge, long thread at Intel about the 82579V having disconnect problems, but what they describe there doesn't seem to match your problem. The very last post does say this, though, and I quote directly:

final solution seems to be : Disable "Turn on fast start-up" in the power options - "choose what the power buttons do "

I would be curious if turning off fast startup solves your problem.

Yes, that is the question. I'll try to disable fast start-up, although I can't see why that would affect anything since my system is already up at that point. I have a Netgear N600 wireless router, and I've not had this problem until recently when I added a second 7970 - although I have replaced my mobo in the last month.

Back