Weird, Ultra low temps on my E6700

Compfreak999

Limp Gawd
I currently have my setup running out of a case, i have the huge zalman 9700 (something) cpu hsf running at around 1318RPM, but my temp (under prime 95 test) is at max 32 degrees C. Isn't that a bit low? I also can't seem to get prime 95 to utilize the cpu 100%, it's around 50/50 per each processor.

Welcome to conroe, out of a case in a cool room running at %50 load that temp while low (good) is not out of the question.

Run Orthos, it will stress both cores

Use Coretemp to measure temps.

Most of us use those utils and thus we can better evaluate if your temps are in the ballpark.

whats your ambient temp? If you're in the Artic and your ambient temps are 10C thats only an OK temperature.

Do what Bill said... use Orthos Beta http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

And use CoreTemp it will show you a temp probably around 15C higher than Speed fan or whatever motherboard probe you're reading now.

It's in the 60s (F) right now (Oregon) So essentially my comp is only 10 degrees F warmer then the surrounding.

I'm using AsusProbe (or w/e the new one is called) to moniter the temps.

Compfreak999 said:
It's in the 60s (F) right now (Oregon) So essentially my comp is only 10 degrees F warmer then the surrounding.

I'm using AsusProbe (or w/e the new one is called) to moniter the temps.

DOWNLOAD CoreTemp or Intel TAT (Thermal Analysis Tool). Both use the INTERNAL on-die temperature sensors. Which are much more accurate.

It will probably be around 15C higher than AsusProbe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/compfreak999/temps.jpg

Under Orthos stress test (CPU 0/1) the temp from AsusProbe is constant at 44-45 C with 100% CPU utilization. Core Temp Beta 0.94 indicates Core#0 at around 41C and Core #1 at around 40C. I'm not sure what Tjunction is, but it's around 85C.

Room temp 65 degrees F

When my computer is idle the temperature is around 27 degrees C.

not so ultra low now that you're getting 100% utilization. ;)

Still low, so now you really need to overclock it !! :cool:

Jack that thing up!

Start going up and see how high you can get.

Then you might want to lower multiplier to get a nice FSB.

Shoot for 3.33Ghz (333FSB x 10 multiplier!)

chrisf6969 said:
not so ultra low now that you're getting 100% utilization. ;)

Still low, so now you really need to overclock it !! :cool:

Jack that thing up!

Start going up and see how high you can get.

Then you might want to lower multiplier to get a nice FSB.

Shoot for 3.33Ghz (333FSB x 10 multiplier!)

How high could i get this chip? It's an ES :)

(Rephrased question, any benefits to having an ES chip in terms of OCing?)

Compfreak999 said:
How high could i get this chip? It's an ES :)

(Rephrased question, any benefits to having an ES chip in terms of OCing?)

Some ES's are cherry picked (run extra cool / overclock extra high).
Some ES's are unlocked!!
Some ES's are just regular chips, with Engineering Sample stamped on them.

Hopefully yours is one or both of the first two!!
If your chip is unlocked (upwards) you can just raise the multiplier to 11 or 12.
11 = 2.93Ghz
12 = 3.2 Ghz
13 = 3.46Ghz!!!

Try raising the multiplier, to see if you're stable at 11, 12, 13, etc.

Then you can play around with the FSB to max your overclock.

Some ES chips also perform worse because they're the "first batch" so to speak.

Still, 3.4 ghz on air (3.1ghz with stock cooler actually) is more than easy to acomplish.

Arcygenical said:
Some ES chips also perform worse because they're the "first batch" so to speak.

Still, 3.4 ghz on air (3.1ghz with stock cooler actually) is more than easy to acomplish.

if you've got a B0, B1 rev, you should be fine. I'm not sure what the earlier revs were coined, but they really progressively get worse the earlier the revision. If it's a later revision, the chip should OC well. My PD950 does around 4.6Ghz at 1.36V, but my heatsink is the only thing holding me back. Crazy stuff, lol

StealthyFish said:
if you've got a B0, B1 rev, you should be fine. I'm not sure what the earlier revs were coined, but they really progressively get worse the earlier the revision. If it's a later revision, the chip should OC well. My PD950 does around 4.6Ghz at 1.36V, but my heatsink is the only thing holding me back. Crazy stuff, lol

Well my friend got it the second time around, Intel initially offered it a month or two ago, though he was too slow to get it. He got like like two weeks ago, so i'm hoping it's a newer one :)

(Not too tempted to take off the Zalman HSF to check....unless there's some software that can check)

Back