Weird problem, help me if possible

XpediencY

Gawd
So, I build another computer for my mom, but the problem is, when I first turn on the computer, it powers on, but it does not post. I must push the reset button once, and then it'll post. It will not boot up cold.

What can be the problem? All of the hardware I have has been used and worked in my other previous machines as this is just a computer from scrap parts.

AMD phenom 9600
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770
Thermaltake Purepower 600W
Gigabyte 3870
2x Hitachi 160gb
2GB Corsair 6400

Bottom line: Power on, then reset. Then the computer works like fine.

Your chassis panel header might not be set up right. I've had systems light up and fans spin but no boot. Messed with plugs, and it works.

Are you saying reverse the + and - of the power plugs into the mobo?

The power switches have no polarity, so that wouldn't actually do anything. I think he means you should just double-check to make sure everything is plugged in where it's supposed to be.

Yea, it is all hooked in where it needs to be, otherwise a reset button wouldn't power the computer on anyways right?

Could be the motherboard, but i would try other things first.

First disconnect any HDDs if they are attached (including a floppy if you have that).

If you have another one to test out, pull out the vid card and replace it with a known good one.

If the error is the same, then do the same with the ram sticks. Try to boot with one, or in a different DIMM.

EDIT - I didn't see your last line. I would disconnect the reset switch or try a whole new switch. This was the culprit for me once.

I had this problem with a customer's computer, I put a banana on the motherboard (desktop case) and it solved the problem.

Back