Weird PC issues Re: booting

Svengali

Limp Gawd
From a friend:

": I put my PC together, have all of the retail drivers for the hardware installed, havent updated windows. It reboots instead of shutting down, and it does it in a weird way. From a powered down state, I hit the power button and it powers up--then powers down--then powers up again and boots. From windows, I tell it to shut down and it shuts down, powers up, powers down, then powers back up and reboots"

She also adds: "but when I unplug power to the CPU, theres no powerup/down fluxuations"
Any ideas?

Her build is:
Antec 900
Q6600
Abit IP35
2gb Corsair XMS Ram ddr2-800
evga 8800GTS 320
thermaltake 700w psu (cable management)
Windows XP

(She just built the PC yesterday)

First thing to do ;

Goto control panel>system properties>advanced>startup and recovery settings.

Uncheck the 'automatically restart' box.

This will cause the computer to actually show you bluescreens that may be causing the computer to reboot.Make sure to write down exactly what it says if you get a bluescreen.

Several things that could cause that. The first thing I would try is a BIOS update, and be sure that wake on lan and wake on USB are disabled.

Im having a similar issue

ip35-E
antec 900
e6750

When I boot up it boots, shuts off then reboots fine.

I hit the power button and it powers up--then powers down--then powers up again and boots.

That bit is normal, annoying but normal. A lot of P35 boards do it, its initializing something, what we dont know for sure, Google your board model and "double boot" and you will find it commonly reported.

Now the Shutdown from Windows resulting in an automatic reboot is weird and not normal. Sorry no idea there.

Back