Weird lockup issue... need brain power!

-zax-

2[H]4U
Not sure which sub-forum to post this in, but I figured general hardware would probably do the trick...

I built a computer back in May of 2020 and it has been great. However, within the last 4-6 months, a lock-up issue has surfaced and I'm not sure of the culprit.
The "lock-up" in this scenario is the computer appears to be in a frozen state, but not BSOD. The video output remains on the screen until a forced restart.

- The issue "appears" to be when the computer comes out of idle time, but it happens randomly. Sometimes within an hour or two, other times after 2 or 3 days...
- I have all the sleep and hibernation settings turned off, including hard drive
- The only item I have set to shut off is the monitors after 15 minutes
- Drivers and OS are up to date
- Have ran SFC and DISM, everything passed

I cannot think of any instance of a lock-up during heavy or regular use scenarios such as:
- Multi-hour gaming sessions
- Running handbrake to compress video
- Even minor tasks like browsing the [H]

Ok, here is the crazy part...
- Apparently, the computer doesn't lock up until -after- I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to wake it up
- Both screens will wake up, but the image will be stuck in place (stays this way until a forced restart)
- Mouse pointer frozen on the screen (I have tried unplugging/re-plugging USB)
- Even happens if I remote desktop to it via Chrome Remote Desktop. Lets me connect, screen appears frozen. After I disconnect, I can no longer reconnect until I restart the PC.

And the kicker!
- I can ping the PC so I figured I'd try the next step below...
- I have enabled the open SSH server on the PC. When its locked up, I can SSH to it from another device on my network even though it's unresponsive via GUI?!?!
- I can successfully run commands via SSH and it responds normally to the commands

[H]ardware
Ryzen 3900X (No overclock)
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (BIOS updated recently to try and solve the issue)
64GB Trident Z NEO F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC (On Asus QVL, UEFI set to XMP)
Asus 2070 Super DUAL-RTX-2070S-O8G-EVO (No overclock)
(2) LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch monitors (both connected via display ports)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe (Boot/OS drive)
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (Game drive)
Corsair HX1000 PSU
Shiit Hel 2 for audio (Onboard is disabled in UEFI)
Windows 10 Pro (fully updated)

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Back in tha day, I had an amd vidyo card that would lockup on resume because the drivers tried to initialize the card but something wasn't in the correct state, or something like that. Actually, it may have been an nvidia card...was a long time ago. Anyway, turned out the driver wasn't setting up the card correctly before entering sleep, and that's why it wouldn't wake up properly.

Reactions: -zax-
like this
I should have also mentioned that my drivers are all up to date for everything.

I have also tried clean installs of the nvidia driver with no change. The only thing I haven't done is revert to a much older driver... may have to do that soon.

Could be either your keyboard or mouse, and what other usb devices do you have attached?

I'd suggest removing as much stuff from the mobo as you can and try remoting in again. Disable as much stuff in the bios as you can as well.

Also, is this a fresh install of windows or an upgrade? Might be you've got some old system driver causing the issue.

And what messages, if any, can you see in Event Viewer when it crashes?

like this
Hmmmm, may be the infamous USB disconnect issues of the X570 chipset. I'd switch USB ports on the mouse and keyboard and be sure to install the latest AMD AGESA version.

like this
Could be either your keyboard or mouse, and what other usb devices do you have attached?

I'd suggest removing as much stuff from the mobo as you can and try remoting in again. Disable as much stuff in the bios as you can as well.

Also, is this a fresh install of windows or an upgrade? Might be you've got some old system driver causing the issue.

And what messages, if any, can you see in Event Viewer when it crashes?
I have yet to try swapping the keyboard or mouse.. I'll need to get another set if that's the case, but probably not a bad plan.
As far as USB devices go... Mouse, Keyboard, Shiit Hel

In UEFI, I have some of them onboard items already disabled... audio, one of the 2 ethernet ports, wireless/bluetooth.

It's not a "recent" fresh install. When I built the PC back in May of 2020, it was a fresh install. The PC worked without issue for well over a year before the lock-ups started happening.

I have looked through the event viewer logs, and there was really nothing in there indicating an issue. I'll clear the log and to attach a snip of it next time it happens.

Hmmmm, may be the infamous USB disconnect issues of the X570 chipset. I'd switch USB ports on the mouse and keyboard and be sure to install the latest AMD AGESA version.
This was one of my first thoughts after I read about x570 and USB issues. I did upgrade my UEFI firmware in hopes that if it really was the USB issue, that a firmware upgrade would resolve it. No luck on that front though...

On a side note, I did some more digging last night and somehow I had missed disabling the "hybrid sleep" option. Either that or a Windows update re-enabled it...
I disabled it, and now the wait to see if that was the issue or not begins...

--- 1 week update ---

I'm still unsure how hybrid sleep got re-enabled. I'm wondering if a Windows update or AMD driver update re-enabled it...

So far, *knock on wood*, 7 days in and it's still up and running without a lock-up.

Cool nice find, if resurfaces then could be pcie link state power management settings in bios.

Back