Weird lock up, possibly ram related?

Fantasysage

Limp Gawd
Specs are in my sig (minus one 280 atm).

So, 30 minutes ago my screen froze, the music I was listening to stopped and my speakers wailed from the high heavens making a deafening screech. I wasn't doing anything intense, just music and browsing the web. The front power button was ineffective and I had to kill the power with the PSU switch. I let the PC sit for a minute, flipped the PC back on and turned it on. Everything spun up, but just sat there and it wouldn't post. No video, no system beeps, nothing.

Fuck.

I pulled all the cords, and set it up at my little test bench I have going. Nothing but a monitor KB+M. Turned it on, same deal. Shut it off, pulled the power and one stick of ram, and boom, she boots right up. Put the stick back in, and it boots right back up again. WTF? Right now I have the system back on my desk and listening to the same song writing this.

This is a fresh rebuild. The CPU, Ram, Mobo, PSU, and GTS250 are all brand new. When I first built it (yesterday) I had issues booting, but heard that it was best to boot a system with one stick of ram. So I did that and windows found everything fine. Shut it off and put the other stick in. After that the system was on since then for a little over 24 hours till this crash. And I spent around 5 hours last night at BC2 and Metro 2033 maxxed out @ 1920X1200.

I just burned memtest 86 to a cd. Is that a good idea? The first thing I did with the system is run Prime95 for 2 hours and it never had a hiccup. Everything is at stock clock.

Now, could it be my soundcard being wonky? It has always been a little temperamental with Win7, but never anything more than the occasional cracking, nothing system breaking. I say this because after the crash, all my sound settings went back to default. I find that odd.

Okay [H], give me thy wisdom. I am kinda worried that my rebirthed system is having issues! :(

Ok, HUGE problem. Now the PC won't boot no matter what I do to it. One stick, both stick, in either slot.

The mobo just revs all the fans up and then stop, and keep doing this every few seconds. Rev, stop, rev, stop. Until I kill the PSU.

Also, sometime when I turn the PSU back on, the glowing E doesn't start telling me I have system power, what gives?

This is not good. The laptop I am typing this from sucks big time. Anyone know the turnaround on G.Skill RMA's? Because I cannot wait a week, that is unacceptable.

Could be a mobo issue actually.

Try another stick of DDR3 RAM.

I have no other parts to test this by the way.

Well start buying. From what you've said so far, it could be either a RAM or mobo issue. The only way to rule out the RAM is to get another stick of RAM from a different manufacturer and use it with the eVGA mobo.

Aaaaand I am a fucking idiot. Thankfully my roomate is not. He has a bit of network admin experience and immediately suggested ditching the old surge suppressor and power cable. Guess what?

Instant post, ram's fine, system's fine.

And I feel like I am a few sandwiches short of a picknick.

Back