• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Weird case noises

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
4,312
So my PC is making weird noises that i've never heard before. It's making a crackling sound. It also kinda sounds like if you put a baseball card on a bicycle. It's coming from the front and I don't think it's a fan. I'm almost positive it's the hard drive. I'm running PC Doctor on it to see if any of them fail the tests. I noticed the sound increased when I started the tests.I have 7 HD's, 4 of which are Internal and it's definitely one of them. I ran the quick test on them (~10 minutes) and they all passed. I'm about to run the full test on them but in my experience with using this at work i've noticed that the full test can take quiet a few hours on smaller HD's (160gb, 250gb, 320gb) whereas I have multiple large HD's.

Basically what i'm asking is...

A) has anyone ever heard this noise from a HD?

B) Does this mean the HD is dead/dying? I know when you hear the ticking noise it pretty much means it's going to shit out on you but I have no clue what this might mean.
 
A) If the sound is akin to a basebal card in a bicycle, then yes I have heard that sound from a dying drive
B) Read A.
 
That's what I figured. Usually any sound from a HD isn't good. It isn't constant so I guess I have some time. The only thing is i've tested it with PC Doctor which also does SMART tests and all the HD's pass. I'll just have to wait until it's near dead so I can figure out which one needs replaced.
 
Don't assume that. Back your shit up *RIGHT NOW*.. trust me. :)

That will be tough to decide what to back up though. It could be any one of my internals which total at about 3TB. All the stuff that is important to me is backed up already though.
 
open the case and put a finger on each drive in succession. you will almost for sure feel the one that is clicking back that one up and sell it on the forums to some sucker. :D no jk DONT DO THAT!!! its junk and if its under warranty replace it, if not then trash it as its no use to anyone.
 
Back
Top