Weird Beeping Noise from File Server - [H] Guru's Required!

VenomousDesigns

Limp Gawd
Good evening guys - have a weird one for you :).

My setup:

CPU: Intel Quad-Core Xeon X3440 2.53 GHz, 8MB Cache, 2.5 GT/Sec, Socket LGA 1156
MB: Supermicro X8SIA-F
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G 2x2GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Reg CL9 DIMM
PSU:Corsair AX-850
Controller: SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8e
Misc: HP SAS Expander
HDDs: 18xSamsung F3 1TBs + 4xSamsung F4EG 2TB
Case: Norco 4224

Also for the record I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 and FlexRAID.

Problem:

Video Here (Uploaded from the iPhone, sound is at about 5/6 seconds, sorry for the long 'intro' haha)

But to sum it up, every so often - and for some reason tonight after switching on my File Server after being away for two weeks, its become more frequent - every 15-30minutes now.

I have checked the Event Log and no Warnings/Errors and all my Hard Drives are fine, FlexRAID is fine. I'm at a loss to what it is - something related to compatiablility or?

[H] Members, lend me your dectective skills!

Have you tried restarting to see if it goes away after a restart?

Indeed I have. Should of mentioned I've had this beep since I built this Server over 8 months ago.

Used to happen maybe once every few days, but as I mentioned this is happened 2-3 times an hour now.

Sounds like the motherboard making a noise (possibly bad ram?). That sounds nothing like the standard LSI alarm sound which basically is a constant quick beep (very loud, and very annoying).

Sounds like the motherboard making a noise (possibly bad ram?). That sounds nothing like the standard LSI alarm sound which basically is a constant quick beep (very loud, and very annoying).

Hmm - it was brand new RAM when purchased. Is there a way to confirm this? I haven't Overclocked or touched BIOS options.

Keep suggestions rolling in - anything else I can provide you with to help?

Well I'm about 90% sure its the mobo, but have to tried using the system without the Controller/Expander installed?

What do you see when you boot the system during POST....anything unusual?

Just spent the last 2 hours running MemTest - everything passed ><:

memtestc.jpg

Also took another short video of 2 green blinking lights - one on the SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8e and the other on the Supermicro X8SIA-F - not sure if this helps:

http://img585.imageshack.us/i/2dd.mp4/

EDIT: Also nothing out of the ordinary re-BIOS/POST - no errors.

Last edited:
I have had a supermicro board do this when a fan began to give erroneous tach signals.. the board would essentially alert due to a failed fan for about half a second then go back to normal. Install the superodoctor monitoring software from supermicro, only the client is needed as to not install a bunch of other stuff. It will log any fan failures or any other issue that will cause supermicro boards to alert...

Joe...

jmack is right. I had a fan die on my ms board. on its way out the mobo chirped quite a bit. you should see something in the doctor error logs. sometimes I thought the mobo just wanted me to know it was there...
Posted via Mobile Device

Back