Web browsing and HD streaming

Vorret

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to build a computer for my stepfather , he currently owns an 8yo laptop that's dying he doesn't have many requirements but he likes to stream HD movies, does alot of webcam with his kids/grandkids and reads e-mails. The only thing that worries me is the HD streaming to his TV, I'm fairly certain I'll need a dedicated GPU for that.

At first I thought I'd just tell him to buy a new laptop but I like towers they're easier to upgrade/repair if needed and you can get better performance for the price, lastly it needs to be as silent as possible.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Webcam, HD Streaming via HDMI, web browsing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

1,500$ I guess, money isn't really an issue here

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Case, Motherboard, CPU, Ram, GPU, SSD, Basic storage, Screen, PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

None , starting from scratch

6) Will you be overclocking?

No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Need one , he told me not larger than 24 inches, and I guess 1080p is more than enough, he'd like to have a webcam in it if possible but I'm not sure if that exists.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing fancy, basic is fine

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

He's still using Vista so nothing, need an OS and Office would be good as well

I'm not sure how much power he really needs but it would stil be nice if he could keep it for a while so quality is important and longevity without going overboard with the specs.

Thanks!

Your father really isn't doing anything that strenuous that would really require a $1500 budget.

At the very MOST, he's looking at the Core i3 4130. Though I'm fairly sure he'll be fine with the Intel Pentium G3258. Nor would he actually require a dedicated video card. The onboard video will be more than enough for his needs.

Which Canadian online computer hardware stores will you be buying from?

For low noise, I recommend the following cases:
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$112 - Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX Case
$114 - Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ATX Case
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case
$250 - Silverstone FT02S-W-USB3.0 ATX Case

As for the webcam, buy it separately as there aren't many good monitors with built-in webcams anymore. Plus the separate webcam will more than likely be better than the built-in webcam.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Interesting, I thought he'd need a powerfull GPU for the movies.
Good to know !

Thanks

edit: I usually shop at ncix

Back