We need more [H]ard folders

Yay! i built my Grandma a new rig ( 1.1ghz clery OCed to 1.4 something Ghz ) its not much but after she saw my rig with the graphical client on it ( i use it for just this purpose )
she wanted her boxen running for the horde!!!!! :D

u_DR_K13

DR_K13 said:
Yay! i built my Grandma a new rig ( 1.1ghz clery OCed to 1.4 something Ghz ) its not much but after she saw my rig with the graphical client on it ( i use it for just this purpose )
she wanted her boxen running for the horde!!!!! :D

u_DR_K13
What's her handle, 1337 01d 14dy? :D

Edit: color badge

Chugiak said:
What's her handle, 1337 01d 14dy? :D

Edit: color badge

na i just put it in my name. set it up for no deadlines. Will just have to see how it folds
u_DR_K13

Hey, decided to jump ship from p2p-community (hanging around 17th in the team charts :p)

Got tired of hanging around in a mostly french-speaking forum.

Looks like a much stiffer set of competitors here though, guess I'll just have to plink my way up with my weenie machines till I can begin cultivating a garden (and perhaps someday a farm) of my own :)

As it is right now, score one more barton cpu for the [H]orde :D

DaSmurf said:
Hey, decided to jump ship from p2p-community (hanging around 17th in the team charts :p)

Got tired of hanging around in a mostly french-speaking forum.

Looks like a much stiffer set of competitors here though, guess I'll just have to plink my way up with my weenie machines till I can begin cultivating a garden (and perhaps someday a farm) of my own :)

As it is right now, score one more barton cpu for the [H]orde :D

nice/ welcome Dasmurf!!!!
u_DR_K13

Scorpionjwp,

It depends on the cpu's you are using, if they are running 24/7, and what other loads are being run on them.

To see how you are doing versus other people, I have found extreme overclocking the best tool (that I have seen so far).

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=100118

To give you a reference, I am running 5 CPU's 24/7. They are a AthlonXP2100+, AthlonXP2400+, AthlonXP2500+ Mobile (at 2.25ghz), Opteron 240 and an Athlon XP 3000+ in laptop form (It doesn't do as well because of power saving features). All the computer get some use outside of folding, but it is usually minimal (DIVX, games, web browsing, file serving, etc...)

I have them set to higher level priority, maxed out CPU useage and accept large files. I have also worked to remove any extra items in the task bar in order to maximize CPU cycles.

Currently, with this set-up I have a 24-hour average production rate of ~690.

Rank is based on score not on Work Units.

Hope the information helps you gauge how you are set up.

I was a SETI@HOME l-user, but might as well switch to Folding@home.

count a P4 3.2 to the mix and another P4 3.0 as well.

Ok this is what I have currently added, so I don't how I stack with the rest of you.

a dual pentium3 866mhz box
a dual pentium3 xeon 500mhz 512kb cache pc
a 2.4ghz with ht enabled box

I have the computers running 24/7, I only use my 2.4ghz p4 for other stuff like surfing the web and games. The other two boxen is in the basement running nothing but Norton antivirus server, sygate pro firewall, windows 2003 server with most of the services disabled and F@H client on them. The cpu usage for both machines are set at 50% on both processors.

Scorpionjwp,

Are you running 2 instances (each) of folding on the duallies? I am not running any 2 processor systems, but my understanding is that is the way to go....

Scorpionjwp said:
Ok this is what I have currently added, so I don't how I stack with the rest of you.

a dual pentium3 866mhz box
a dual pentium3 xeon 500mhz 512kb cache pc
a 2.4ghz with ht enabled box

I have the computers running 24/7, I only use my 2.4ghz p4 for other stuff like surfing the web and games. The other two boxen is in the basement running nothing but Norton antivirus server, sygate pro firewall, windows 2003 server with most of the services disabled and F@H client on them. The cpu usage for both machines are set at 50% on both processors.

Set them for 100%. Folding will give up the cycles if something else needs them. Otherwise, I don't think they are running any more than 50% at any time. That way you get full use out of them. The only reason I would have it set to anything below 100% is if there is a problem with cooling the processors.

Also, make sure you run two instances of folding, each instance from it's own directory on the dualies. That way it will use both processors.

I've got an old PII dually here. I won't run it since it's not worth the power it would take to keep it going (and I'm short on power supplies) for the work it would do. Plus, it's only 66 FSB and I've only got a couple of PII 266's.

Yes I am running two instances on my dually systems.

Well sometime soon, I will be adding another dual processor system, as soon as someone have help me find me a pair of slot1 500mhz pentium2 processors. Then later after that system, a quad Pentium3 xeon system with 4 instances running on it.

I have them set at 50% because I don't want my generic powersupplies to burn out on them, you see I have tied up most of my time and money to get my quad system built. The only good powersupply I have is in my 2.4ghz p4, which I repeat, Play games online or work on animations with and it only has a 256mb ddr2100 stick of memory in it.

The quad system is still in the shop being worked on. btw the p3 xeons run very hot when at full load, but if you guys have parts to help me out, I am open to any free pc hardware I can find at the moment.

And yes the two duallies in the basement is somewhat lacking some cooling, I am at the minimum on them.

I just tossed a dual PII 266 into the fold. Sure it's not much and I had previously said that I had no plans on using it for folding since it really isn't cost effective. But I just tossed the system together last night for a dually to play with since I've never gotten my hands on one before. Since it's going to be sitting there on, I decided to run with timeless units for the time being.

I may keep it up and running in the long run. It may be good as a fileserver and may end up using it for that. Every little bit helps.

After messing with it for a while last night, I find that it's suprisingly responsive considering I'm running WinXP on it with only 224 meg of RAM. Now I seem to have the bug for more duallies. Maybe I'll see about getting an Athlon dually one of these days if I can scrounge up the money for one.

I actually have a PIII 500 Slot 1 processor sitting next to me but unfortunately it's not mine so I can't part with it. Too bad I don't have a case and power supply to use with it, cuz I'd have it running at least temporarily.

I'm Back to the fold, or have been back for quite some time. Gettting a dually ready to fold, if only someone around here had a pair of slot1 processors laying around, could I get this boxen running.

Humm, but who would be kind enough to send me a pair of old, outdated slot1 processors of 450mhz or 500mhz 100 fsb processors. Since it is the holidays, and winter has arrived who could help me out?

I have a question, Who here thinks we can beat the aussies and get back to number 1?
We maybe without our beloved Relic but he will be back soon. So who is with us to get team [H[ardocp back to number 1.

have'nt read everything yet on what folding actually is and does ..but I got my FX-53 online for the [H]orde now .. and have 3 boxes at work that I will be bringing aboard as well come monday ...yay :)

ThreeDee said:
have read everything yet on what folding actually is and does ..but I got my FX-53 online for the [H]orde now .. and have 3 boxes at work that I will be bringing aboard as well come monday ...yay :)

Welcome ThreeDee. Hope your folding goes well. Let us know if you have any questions.

just a quick question ... with each box do I need to setup a different user? ..or can I just put ThreeDee for the name and 33 for team on each one?

setting up 2 comps at a friends house right now , and they are on 24/7 so thought I'd get them folding too :)

You can, and will want to, use the same name and team number. The server will understand that they come from different comuters.

Edit for improper comma placement.

New to the horde, have a 2.6ghz barton, 2.2ghz T-bred, 1.8ghz AMD64(sometimes, laptop), 1700+ and 1.2ghz t-bird folding. Migrated from SETI, cancer is prevalent in my family, I lost a family member and another one is in remission. Not sure why I didn't switch sooner.

Hello :)

CzarDestructo said:
New to the horde, have a 2.6ghz barton, 2.2ghz T-bred, 1.8ghz AMD64(sometimes, laptop), 1700+ and 1.2ghz t-bird folding. Migrated from SETI, cancer is prevalent in my family, I lost a family member and another one is in remission. Not sure why I didn't switch sooner.

Hey,

If we had found aliens, they may have had a cure for cancer.....

Oh, I neglected to say this when I started, but several weeks ago I started running Folding@Home on my computer. Though a measly Duron 700, I hope it helps a bit.

Legomancer said:
Oh, I neglected to say this when I started, but several weeks ago I started running Folding@Home on my computer. Though a measly Duron 700, I hope it helps a bit.

It all helps! Who knows if you get the bug, you could start building boxen for everyone you know. :eek: Or holding up a sign on the street corner...Homeless...need more boxen! :D

Welcome Legomancer!

Scorpionjwp said:
I'm Back to the fold, or have been back for quite some time. Gettting a dually ready to fold, if only someone around here had a pair of slot1 processors laying around, could I get this boxen running.

Humm, but who would be kind enough to send me a pair of old, outdated slot1 processors of 450mhz or 500mhz 100 fsb processors. Since it is the holidays, and winter has arrived who could help me out?

I have a question, Who here thinks we can beat the aussies and get back to number 1?
We maybe without our beloved Relic but he will be back soon. So who is with us to get team [H[ardocp back to number 1.

I have a couple of PII 266's sitting here. But they are in a box working on timeless units. I think one of these days I may actually set it up as a fileserver or something but for now it just folds. I just wish it wasn't an old LX chipset board. Then I wouldn't be so limited in the processors I could throw on it. The fastest I can stick in it are PII 333's if I remember correctly.

I think it has given me a bug for multiprocessor systems now. Even for a couple of PII 266's it's really responsive. I'd love to see what a dually XP system can do or better yet a dually Opteron. :D

CzarDestructo said:

That's a nice little garden you have there. You should go up in the stats rather quickly with that.

Legomancer said:

Every little bit helps. Otherwise I wouldn't be running a dually PII 266 system or my PIII 700 at work. They can take a while to crunch work units but they get them out.

Just got a new lappie for school, after 24 years of slacking. AMD Mobile 3000+. She screams. 4:15 a step on a Gromac. Got a 4 port KVMS in my bedroom, but it outputs in PS2, and there are no PS2 ports on the new girl. 4 USB 2.0 ports are available. The USB ports are so close to each other, end connectors are not an option. Anybody know of a connector, wired, that will go from PS2 to USB? Basically 2 wires with PS2 female connectors and 2 USB male (you know what I mean) connectors.

Mayhem33 said:
It all helps! Who knows if you get the bug, you could start building boxen for everyone you know. :eek: Or holding up a sign on the street corner...Homeless...need more boxen! :D

Welcome Legomancer!

Thank you very much. It's so nice to belong to as welcoming and friendly a community as [H]ardforum and the folding team here. And yes, if I ever get any more PCs, I am sure they will be happily placed in the [H]orde.

heya,

how can you tell if you computer is crunchen stuff fast or not?

ThreeDee said:
heya,

how can you tell if you computer is crunchen stuff fast or not?
You can take the point value of a protein you're folding and divide it by the time it's expected to complete in to calculate points per hour. Or if you're using EMIII, right click on a client and choose "Calculate Points." Here's what the boxen in my house are getting at the moment:
Sempron 2500+: 3.6pph, gromacs
P4 1.7: 2.5pph, gromacs
P4 2.4C @ 2.9GHz: 5.6pph (two instances of FAH, hyperthreading), gromacs

It can vary from WU to WU, depending on the protein and whether it's a gromacs or a tinker

Back