We need a new DAB rep

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
We need to elect a new DAB rep. We need somebody who is available to put the time in as needed, who is consistently involved on the forums and/or IRC, and who is able to adequately represent the wide variety of team members and their unique viewpoints.

Apparently the DAB is holding meetings without representation from our team, hence the reason we were blindsided by the bigadv points cut.

Whoever does it is going to have to swallow their pride and explain to Pande and Co why we have now elected two failed DAB reps and willing to make the commitment to stick with the DAB and be a stable presence for our team.

So, lets hear some nominations or hear from some volunteers.

I nominate both Kendrak and Musky; they've both been here for a long time, are committed and extremely active team members, posses the perspective and tact this position will require, and are consistently pushing the hardware envelop.

I support both of those, if they are willing.

I support the nominations of both Kendrak and Musky and would like to add both Jebo and MIBW's names to the fire... I mean hat.

I second all the names above (apart from mine), and include Patriot...

But whoever it is, they have to want the job. Our 3rd rep will have an uphill battle...

I would personally love to do the job, but I have a business to run and a new baby due any day now, so I could not take it on and do it justice.:(

But whoever it is, they have to want the job. Our 3rd rep will have an uphill battle...

I would personally love to do the job, but I have a business to run and a new baby due any day now, so I could not take it on and do it justice.:(

That is precisely my thought as well, we need a passionate crusader in this role.

Kendrak
Musky
Patriot
Jebo
OR MIBW

all 5 are very active and very project intesive, however I can state that whoever does this would have to devote time as well, and Kendrak has a wife and kid, MIBW has a kid I believe as well, Patriot, Jebo and Musky I dont know about personally, but whoever is elected, will have to be able to devote time to this endevour as well.

I'm not a failed representative, it was just shunned out without notice after seeing zero activity for 2-3 months from the start of the DAB. That's why I now lost any interest about folding or the DAB.

I hope a new representative would represent team 33 well and they must make sure meetings will be attending.

Kendrak is the only person on the team who I believe should hold this position.

I would like to respectfully request that my name be removed from this list. I am not interested in participating. Thanks

i think Zero82z would be a decent choice, along with some of the other names.

I would say instead of nominating people we need people to volunteer. Not everyone will have the sense to bow out like musky did.

So who is volunteering?

If we have more volunteers than we can reasonably have a vote on then we will figure that out.

I second all the names above (apart from mine), and include Patriot...

First, congratulations.

Second, I think the above are good choices. If the DAB rep needed me to make a physical trip to Stanford to meet in person, they can let me know.

I might be interested. However I Need to know:
What are my responsibilities to the team?
Responsibilities to Stanford?
Is this something with a set schedule?
Aprox time per week or month that will be needed?

If I where to obligate myself to this, I need to know what is expected of me so I can do a proper job.

I would say instead of nominating people we need people to volunteer. Not everyone will have the sense to bow out like musky did.

So who is volunteering?

If we have more volunteers than we can reasonably have a vote on then we will figure that out.

I was thinking the same thing.

It is never going to work, if someone doesnt WANT to do it.

I might be interested. However I. Need to know
What are my responsibilities to the team
Responsibilities to Stanford
Is this somethin with a set schedule?
Aprox time per week or month that will be needed

If I where to obligate myself to this, I need to know what is expected of me so I can do a proper job.

I've been wondering the same things. I'm not sure we really know the answers. Maybe we could pm the evga rep to find out. I will do that in a couple hours.

What are my responsibilities to the team?

Collect and prioritize the top concerns of the team, and communicate those to the DAB. Discuss with DAB. When a course of action becomes available for a concern, share that with the team.

Is this something with a set schedule?

Yes and no. The DAB rep needs to visit the DAB forum regularly, at least weekly if not more often. Also depends on the number of active topics in discussion, and how much feedback you'd like to provide and take away. Alternately, subscribe to the discussions so you get notified of new info, and you wouldn't have to check in so frequently.

Aprox time per week or month that will be needed

Again, this will vary, depending on the topics up for discussion, and the schedule at which feedback helps the discussion, and the schedule at which improvements can be made. But it goes in spurts, from what I can tell from Xilikons older DAB posts. ;) Some weeks, nothing, other weeks the discussions may be lively. Other weeks you may just get an FYI of pending changes. Reading a few posts, and making one or two posts, if needed, doesn't take up a lot of time.

The DAB is a communication tool. The more you put in, the more you get out, but it's not heavy time commitment. However, a strong commitment is beneficial in many ways, to both fah and your team.

And the previous two [H] reps can correct me if I missed anything.

HTH

thanks 7im

Are there ever any "meetings", set for specific times?

I don't know the exact answer to that. I don't think there is a regularly scheduled meeting. Previous reps would have mentioned it already if there were.

At most, Vijay might "call a meeting" at a specific time, if there is an important topic that needs to be discussed due to time sensitive issues. But that seems like a rarity, not a regular thing. And that date and time would be set to allow for everyone to attend, schedules permitting.

I'm also guessing the DAB has some ground rules spelled out in the DAB forum, but I'm not a member, so I couldn't say for sure.

Again, a previous rep can confirm for you.

I sent a PM to rjbelans at evga asking for a bit of clarification

My other thought is that the DAB rep can step down at any time for any reason I would just ask that they let us know. Also they can and should step down if they feel that it isn't working due to personality conflicts or any other reasons. This isn't a career choice the rep doesn't have to hold out to the bitter end. If it is due to a personality conflict just say so these things happen maybe once that other person moves on maybe that rep can have another shot at it.

People who step down can later volunteer again once they feel they are ready to do it again. Maybe they will get voted in maybe not but no reason to exclude them (if we feel they did a bad job we won't elect them).

I don't have the time to do this right now but I can see myself volunteering at some point.

My last thought on this topic.
We would like to have someone who is technical and can coordinate all of this stuff but failing that just having someone who can coordinate is probably a better choice than having someone who is technical and can't coordinate things very well. I am sure if the DAB rep posts a question here he/she will get all of the help they need to post the correct answer back to the DAB. In fact this should be encouraged as it gives all of us a voice back.

Alright enough from me.

nwrtarget has some good ideas. I would say that reliability and communication is more important than their understanding of all things folding. Asking for help in the forums on descisions would be a good resource. I would also add in that the new rep should become an IRC addict as well. Many of our stout folders regularly visit the IRC, but may not be that active on the forums.

Good thought nwrtarget

That's probably the biggest source of our two past issues. Our reps left without letting us know. Open communication is the key.

Nobody should be nominating anybody. This should only be self-nominations and then we vote.

I'm willing to give this a try if people want - I've spent some time (if not always a lot) on IRC, and I lurk here just about daily. My only concern is that I may find myself without much time once classes start up this fall - I'm taking 17 hours, and 7 hours of that is honors classes. Definitely would be willing to act as a temp for whoever winds up doing it if they ever need a week or two off, for example.

Giving the team's past issues with the DAB, we need to be extremely selective in chosing who will represent us.

Nothing against anybody who wants to volunteer, but our next DAB rep needs to be somebody that we would all recognize as a leader of the team, not to mention somebody who has the flexibility in their schedule to be a regular participant.

Clearly, we will need somebody who is willing to do it. Let those who have been nominated take their names out of consideration if need be, like musky did.

At this point, it sounds like Kendrak would be universally accepted. If he determines that he can fulfill the responsibilities of the position, and accepts the nomination, we can put it to a final vote.

I'm willing to give this a try if people want - I've spent some time (if not always a lot) on IRC, and I lurk here just about daily. My only concern is that I may find myself without much time once classes start up this fall - I'm taking 17 hours, and 7 hours of that is honors classes. Definitely would be willing to act as a temp for whoever winds up doing it if they ever need a week or two off, for example.

I would be willing to be your wing man or vice versa.

I would certainly support Kendrak but my statement stands, communication is key, this position needs to communicate with us and the DAB. Their goal is to gather information and then summarize and post what they get from us as a team and from the DAB. This is not a position where we need someone who knows everything (although that is certainly nice to have) but they have to be able to communicate. I don't believe they need to be recognized as a leader of the team (again, certainly would be nice) just that they need to be recognized as reliable and good at communicating while keeping their own emotions and opinions muted and instead show the team's message to the DAB. When you look at it correctly the representative shouldn't matter as they should be pulling the information from the team as best as they can. In the long haul that is what I am going to look for in a DAB Rep.

I want someone who will carry the message from the team even if they personally don't always agree with what the team wants. This is an ideal view and may not be practical but to me that is one of the two big qualities (communication being the other).

Giving the team's past issues with the DAB, we need to be extremely selective in chosing who will represent us.

Nothing against anybody who wants to volunteer, but our next DAB rep needs to be somebody that we would all recognize as a leader of the team, not to mention somebody who has the flexibility in their schedule to be a regular participant.

Clearly, we will need somebody who is willing to do it. Let those who have been nominated take their names out of consideration if need be, like musky did.

At this point, it sounds like Kendrak would be universally accepted. If he determines that he can fulfill the responsibilities of the position, and accepts the nomination, we can put it to a final vote.

rjbelans responded to my PM. Here are the relevant bits

There are many things to consider when choosing a representative, but what I see as a few of the most important things to look for in a team rep are:
- well known and respected on the forums
- proven dedication to folding (longevity and past contributions)
- proven dedication to the forum
- able to check DAB forum at least weekly, but occasionally more frequently
- good communicator (our main role is to pass on information between our team donors and Pande Group)
- able to see more than one side of a discussion/argument (nothing will be gained by taking a stance without being able to understand where others are comming from)

I will link you to a couple of threads we had when the process started here so you can see how we handled it. Please remember to ignore any ill-willed posts as it was not fully understood at first.
Original Information - http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=696025
Nomination thread - http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=696170
Rep Vote - http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=701236

Required participation has actually been a lot less frequent than I was expecting. We only interact about every week or so, unless there is an issue that we are working through. I would say on average I only spend a couple of hours a week on DAB issues. There have not been any Chat or Skype meetings so far, but they could possibly happen. We have been able to take care of all of our discussions through forum posts in the DAB private section of the folding forum.

The biggest thing is to have an open process that the majority can have confidence in who is ultimately selected to represent your team. Good luck, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

This seems like a manageable job.

If the [H]orde will have me, I will take the position.

This is something that the team needs. And it needs to be done properly.

This seems like a manageable job.

If the [H]orde will have me, I will take the position.

This is something that the team needs. And it needs to be done properly.
excellent. I'm gonna put up one more thread to put it to a vote.

Back