WD Blue 1TB SSD Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Legit Reviews has published a review of the Western Digital Blue 1TB SSD that was announced earlier today. If you've been thinking about upgrading to a large SSD, this review will certainly be of interest.

WD is taking another stab at the Solid-State Drive market after purchasing SanDisk earlier this year by releasing the WD Green and WD Blue SSD series. The WD Green SATA consumer SSD is aimed at the entry-level market whereas the the WD Blue SATA Consumer SSD is aimed at mainstream consumers. Both series are available in both 2.5″ and M.2 form factors, so they will fit in a wide range of desktop and mobile systems.

To sum up the 10 page review - "Meh".

I'll add a few more syllables to "Meh":

"At the very highest level, this is basically the SanDisk X400 drive that came out earlier this year with re-tuned firmware and no encryption support."

Summary: much slower than Crucial MX300. Twenty bucks more expensive than MX300. Same warranty as MX300.

Either buy an MX300, or a high-end MLC drive like the 850 Pro. Anything else is a waste of money.

A 1.75 million hour mean time between failure and these guys put just a 3 year warranty on it?

Man, they have some confidence in their product!

I was being sarcastic - they obviously don't have faith as a 1.75 million hour mean time between failure translates into just under 200 years of operation.

Well, MTBF and warranty don't always align the same. WD's and Seagate's Enterprise drives have a 2 mill hr MTBF, and only a 5 year warranty. Warranty is really more of a marketing point than an engineering point.

The SanDesk X400 (see above) had a warranty of 5 years. WD reduced the warranty to 3 years. Did they do that from a marketing standpoint?

$0.28/GB is progress!

I say in the wrong direction..

I paid $185 for a 1TB Sandisk Ultra II on Black Friday of last year. It's been on sale for less a few times this year.

The X400 is as good as this WDC blue with a lower price tag and longer warranty.

Last edited:
They need to get in the game. They have been dragging their feet on SSDs.

I am glad that they are finally getting into the market if even with rebadged SanDisk drives. They could've done a lot worse. I don't see them competing with Samsung in performance but establishing a reputation for reliable SSD just as their HDDs have.

I am glad that they are finally getting into the market if even with rebadged SanDisk drives. They could've done a lot worse. I don't see them competing with Samsung in performance but establishing a reputation for reliable SSD just as their HDDs have.

It's going to take some time, But I believe they can be right up there with Samsung if they play their cards right.

WD owns Sandisk, so technically all Sandisk drives are now rebadged WD drives.

"Hey guys, lets charge planar TLC at the same price or even more of what Samsung's 3D TLC and then be completely surprised why our shit doesn't sell."

Back