WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s $119.00 w/ FS

Individual drives are not going to all of a sudden be faster just because they are striped.

Anyways, what is the obsession with Sata 6 on magnetic drives anyways? They are barely able to achieve sata I speeds.

It's new and purty?

Man i really feel bad now as it looks like i maybe the only "sucker" that bought one of these drives.

It is not a bad drive, just potentially not quite as good as the F3 which at this time is a bit cheaper.

Overall though you could have done much much worse ;)

But aren't the F3's 3 year warranty while the WD Blacks are 5 years though?

But aren't the F3's 3 year warranty while the WD Blacks are 5 years though?

What's a warranty matter if you've lost your data anyways? And would you take a 2nd chance with that data on a refurbed drive? A longer warranty is icing but it and of itself is not indicative of quality.

What's a warranty matter if you've lost your data anyways? And would you take a 2nd chance with that data on a refurbed drive? A longer warranty is icing but it and of itself is not indicative of quality.

So you rather buy a cheap drive and just replace it when it dies then? And not accept a refurbished drive either? That is why you back up your important data. But things happen though.

As i learned a long time ago all things fail, it doesn't matter what brand you buy. And if it is 10 -15 more dollars for a extra 2 years then yes i will pay for that. Same reason we buy extended warranties on products.

I have numerous products die, including wd and samsung. Got a seagate that has never once gave me any problems. But heck it could kill over tomorrow though.

I maybe at the dang if i did and dang if i didn't road crossing.............

So you rather buy a cheap drive and just replace it when it dies then? And not accept a refurbished drive either? That is why you back up your important data. But things happen though.

As i learned a long time ago all things fail, it doesn't matter what brand you buy. And if it is 10 -15 more dollars for a extra 2 years then yes i will pay for that. Same reason we buy extended warranties on products.

I have numerous products die, including wd and samsung. Got a seagate that has never once gave me any problems. But heck it could kill over tomorrow though.

I maybe at the dang if i did and dang if i didn't road crossing.............

Who said cheap? What's backup got to do with drive warranties specifically in regards?

What I'm saying is I don't use refurb drives for important stuff anyways so what's the point. You end up with a bunch of drives you don't trust and like I said having a long warranty in and of itself does not in any way equate to quality.

If you believe it does you might be believe that Dodges are the best made cars in the world too? They have warranties for 10 years. On the flip side Subaru's only have 3 year warranties but oddly 9 out of 10 Subies made are still on the roads...

You don't have to not trust refurb drives. They really are no worse in my experience than new drives. I have some refurbs that have been going for a VERY long time.

Hard drives fail, the question is when. Usually companies provide longer warranties on the drives that are rated to last longer and have higher MTBF. (like enterprise drives, RAID edition drives, WD Black drives, etc.)

$110.00 with promo code EMCYPYS27 for newsletter subscribers

So has anybody tried this drive in a RAID 0 yet? If so what kind of results did you get?

So has anybody tried this drive in a RAID 0 yet? If so what kind of results did you get?

I've got two of the 1TB Blue in Raid 0 as a media drive and they top at 285Mbps with around 13.6ms access times. Transfer rates on the black would be the same but access times and general performance would be slightly better.

The actual replacement doesn't matter, it's that these drives are considerably less likely to fail so you don't lose your data in the first place. I probably have this math wrong but basically these drives are 60% less likely to fail as compared to a 3 year warranty drive within the same time span. It's important to understand that these warranties are based on MTBF.

Back