WD Black 1 TB $130 (recertified)

The current hard drive production situation is the cause of the high prices and we probably won't see prices get back to the pre-flooding levels until close to the end of the year. Refurbs are going to be the deals as manufacturers try to make up for what is going to be an awful year with lower production and falling SSD prices.

Based on all the facts this is about par for the course for a 1TB HDD.

It is unbelievable how much prices have gone up. 6 months ago we all would have laughed at something like this.

Well, I just bought a 750 black for $99 bucks shipped, which works out to about the same price per gig. I figure for 100 bucks I can hold out until the prices drop. I'm in the same boat, I saw a special from Newegg a couple weeks ago with hard drive special sale. Many were refurbs, old ATA and SATA 1 and even some IDE drives. They are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

I say just hold off....

Ask your self "do you really need extra storage?"

139 for a new is one thing, but 139 for a recertified piece of shit is another

I'm sitting on a 2TB drive that I got over the summer for $50. I wonder if I should just sell it instead of keeping it around until I need it...

I'm so glad that I have a good 800gb left to go. Somehow all of my friends have decided to need new hard drives right now.

I'm sitting on a 2TB drive that I got over the summer for $50. I wonder if I should just sell it instead of keeping it around until I need it...

I would sell it and buy 2 or 3 of them when prices drop back down.

There are still deals around if you wait.. I am loving the new 3TB USB 3.0 Seagate external I got for $82 shipped from staples on Black Friday..

I dread pricing out servers for customers right now for this very price reason. With 2-3 drives in a standard config, every drive listed makes that system price fly through the roof, compared to PF (pre-flood). Doing RAID-5 configs was a no-brainer PF but now I only config that for companies that really really need it.

Personally, I am glad I got in on a bunch of 1/1.5 TB drives just before the price hikes.

Please God let my 2008-era WD 640AAKS drives last another year.....

I have a got a whole bunch of barely used drives 1.5TB and 2.0TB < 50 hours of use sitting around. I should just sell them. I dont really need them, thats for sure. I was going to build a mega file server but decided to hell with it.

Please God let my 2008-era WD 640AAKS drives last another year.....

I've got one of those, too. If SSDs keep dropping, I might just drop some cash into a completely solid state set up though. I'd have to move a lot of my long term storage onto either off site or external storage that I can leave at home, but it might be worth it.

Smiling at my small collection of $35 500gb single platter drives.

Never thought they would be an "investment".

I've got a feeling like gas prices, even though their costs are going to come down, prices won't.

Who in their right mind would buy a recertified hard drive?

Could be shorter than a new drive but maybe not. Either way the warranty doesn't cover all the data you lose if the drive fails.

Building another gaming system, I have two teenage boys. Data loss is no big deal if there is a failure. Any games that require save on the drive can be backed up on the network. Not everything is 'mission critical' so in this case, refurbished is worth a shot. In general I agree though, dont risk your important data. I wouldnt hesitate to use one of these as my primary drive on my main computer though with sufficient back-up.

That 2 TB USB drive mentioned earlier sounds great, but I wouldnt want to try and run my operating system from it. Might see about getting one for another back-up drive though.

That 2 TB USB drive mentioned earlier sounds great, but I wouldnt want to try and run my operating system from it. Might see about getting one for another back-up drive though.

What would make you assume that? Person was just gloating about their deal.

Long sob story: two weeks ago, a 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 drive on my media server (which had about 900GB of my DVD rips from my movie collection, my entire digital home photo/video collection going back 10+ years - pretty much every picture I've ever taken of my kids, and all my monthly backups for all my network machines) started "clicking": "<7seconds>...ka-click...CLICK...ka-click...CLICK...<7 seconds>...ka-click...CLICK...ka-click...CLICK..." The odd thing is, there were no S.M.A.R.T. problems reported from a utility I used to check it. Anyway...

I've got two 24x7 machines on my network (this is one of them); I was able to free up about 200GB on one of them and about 300 GB on the 2TB "sister" drive on the media server itself; the remaining 400GB is on my main development PC now temporarily. And the whole time I'm crossing my fingers..."PLEASE don't fail until I've gotten everything off..."

The 2nd step after backing everything up was to try imaging the 30GB boot partition off the failing drive so I wouldn't have to rebuild the box, so I booted from an Acronis TrueImage rescue CD, made the image and backed it up to the 2TB drive. Rebooted. 2TB drive reports "This drive isn't formatted, format it now?" AAUUUGGGHH!!!!

Fortunately, what happens was something (unknown) "reset the capacity" on the 2TB drive to 931.53MB. Which is an awfully specific number; after a couple hours of frantic googling I was able to reset it back to max capacity via the SeaTools utility (had to use the DOS version, not the Windows one which was part of what took me so long to figure out), and presto - drive capacity back AND all the data...I'm telling you, that was a Hanes moment when that "drive needs to be formatted" message came up.

So..."the part of the 1.5TB drive in the media server is now being played by a very old 80GB ripped-from-a-Dell EIDE drive" and I'm in the market for a new 2TB drive to replace it...and whereas I could have gotten one for around $80 three months ago, the cheapest one I can find (and it's a "green" drive - 5900rpm variable speed spindle, which likely is NOT a good choice in a 24x7 media server) is around $140.

In short, I hope Taiwan dries out soon...VERY soon...

In the beginning of last year I picked up 2 Western Digital 300gb Velociraptor HDD's for 99$ each brand new from the Egg. This market inflation is a joke.

Back