WD 4TB Black FAEX - $199

Wow, looks like prices have came down a lot lately. Bought a 2tb wd black for $130 several months ago :( haha

It's rare that a black drive above 1tb goes on sale. This is a decent price but I wouldn't jump on it.

I bought the WD4003FZEX model and it works pretty good I guess, it's $210 at Amazon.
WD_4TB_Black_Crystal_Disk_Mark.jpg

Because for bulk storage of this magnitude I'd rather get a red drive or HGST. If I wanted speed I'd grab a 500gb SSD.

With the lack of news on newer black drives may mean wd wants to phase them out or move them strictly to enterprise.

WOW.
Same drive is £185 in the UK.
Give today's exchange rate its equivalent to $290.

FML for being in the UK lol

Because for bulk storage of this magnitude I'd rather get a red drive or HGST. If I wanted speed I'd grab a 500gb SSD.

With the lack of news on newer black drives may mean wd wants to phase them out or move them strictly to enterprise.

Yeah, or a NAS drive. I've broken up and offloaded my HDD array some time ago and its been great. WD Blacks were fast for their time bridging the gap between Raptors and SSDs but their time has past, imo. Too loud, too hot, too expensive compared to other mechanicals. Now I run a NAS for our recorded shows and long-term file/photo backups, have my games on my 4TB SSD array and have an external mechanical enclosed HDD that is set to incremental backup on that array in case I need to restore it and not have to redownload/reinstall everything.

peasants have to setup a san just for steam 60gb games are alot more common

The price of the 4TB Black at B&H has fluctuated between $200 and about $225 for awhile now. I've seen it at $200 at least a couple times. I got one from B&H last July for the same $200 price, back when the product page (incorrectly) listed the retail packaged version as the WD4003FZEX. After an RMA process and talking with their reps, they updated the product page. I ended up keeping the second drive they sent me, since it was still a good price at the time.

If I recall, another retail packaged 4TB Black that I bought from Microcenter a couple months ago (in the same blue box) was also an FAEX. I paid about the same ~$200 after coupon+tax. They also still have it listed for $200 (+tax) in store.

Basically, in the last year or so, the sale price of that retail 4TB Black hasn't really changed.

sure, but lets say you want to work on video or lots of raw photos (20-150MB/picture)? A faster drive is useful and while an SSD is faster, most of what I've read indicates the advantage of an SSD over a fast HD isn't as much as you'd expect.

I can tell you that the green drives are a bit slow for photos. I suspect they're worse for video. AFAIK, there's no performance advantage for red vs green.

Back