[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Guys,

I just signed us up for some team challenges under WCG:
Name, Type, Start Date, End Date
Call 2 the HIV Support Srvs Netwk, Points, 09/01/2007, 12/31/2007
i love natumi-chan, Points, 09/01/2007, 09/30/2007
Run Time World Championship, Run Time, 09/01/2007, 09/30/2007
4 Months Points Race, Points, 09/01/2007, 12/31/2007

Add some boxen if you are already folding for WCG. Join if you aren't and let us have a good showing for these competitions.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BP5XNJBR9N1

Well heck, I'm up for it. I'll add a couple home computers when I get off from work today.

I've got 5 more PC's waiting to come online for WCG, I'll see what I can do to hurry that along.

We're at 3rd in most of the competitions and 4th (moved from 5th) in the other competition. Two more teammates have joined and it's helping. Keep it coming guys/gals.

I just switched over my P4 to WCG and I'm thinking about throwing some more power it's way. Is there any way to run multiple instances on quads or dual-cores?

doesn't it automatically spawn threads to those cores? You can run project 1 on core 1, project 2 on core 2 etc.

No SMP action, just an instance on each core.

I dunno. WCG is new to me but that would make sense. I'll have to experiment.

It's kinda cool in theory you can control the type of work/when your machines work on projects/% CPU usage the machines uses all from one central web page (no messing with individual machines etc.).

In theory, I've never really played much with it.

Careful with WCG, it's kinda boring. Just *works* and that's about the end of the discussion.

I just switched over my P4 to WCG and I'm thinking about throwing some more power it's way. Is there any way to run multiple instances on quads or dual-cores?

If youre using the WCG client then no, but if you're using the BOINC client then it will do it automatically.

If youre using the WCG client then no, but if you're using the BOINC client then it will do it automatically.

I downloaded the client from the WCG site and installed it as a service. The control panel says World Community Grid BOINC Client at the top. Is that right for multiple instances or do I need to download the client from the BOINC site? I checked and both installers are v5.10.45.

I downloaded the client from the WCG site and installed it as a service. The control panel says World Community Grid BOINC Client at the top. Is that right for multiple instances or do I need to download the client from the BOINC site? I checked and both installers are v5.10.45.

It looks like the BOINC client on the download section. When you open the client, is there one tab or two at the top of the running project? In the last screenshot here:

EDIT: link deesnt work, on the download page, its the link for instructions.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do

you'll see the tab with a green dot and hpf2 on it. This is the tab I mean. If you have one of them, you're only running one instance. If you have two tabs, you're running two.

Yeah, I installed the "WCG"-branded client on my E6700 and got only one instance. I installed the generic BOINC client over it and now I'm running a project on each CPU. The World Community Grid projects are still in my preferences.

Is there any downside to using the generic BOINC client?

I wonder why they've dumbed down the WCG-branded client?

Yeah, I installed the "WCG" branded client on my E6700 and got only one instance. I installed the generic BOINC client over it and now I'm running a project on each CPU. The World Community Grid projects are still in my preferences.

Is there any downside to using the generic BOINC client?

I wonder why they've dumbed down the WCG-branded client?

No, the BOINC client is much better, its the only one that I use. The WCG client was quite different last time I looked at it, as it was not BOINC based, but the limitations are still there. I really have no idea why.

Edit: Holy thread bump batman. Just noticed this thread started on my last birthday. :eek:

I just snag the Linux BOINC client off the WCG site and install it on my machines. After attaching it to the WCG project and entering in my username and password it automatically picks up my default client settings I already have configured and starts the work.

I installed it on my main quad system last night and it automatically started running a project on all four cores. When I processed a couple work units last year when testing the client it did the same thing for my dual core system.

I've been running the Windows/Linux WCG clients for almost a month now with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I'm getting ~1K PPD with two single core machines. HCC units take ~10 hours on the Sempron 2800+ and ~24 hours on the Athlon 1000.

I just passed Xilikon tonight in the WCG standings ...probably not for long though.

The WCG stat updates on hardfolding.com are still not happening ... got a reply from Kyle B. a couple of weeks ago but still no word on when the updates will be fixed.

I thought I saw where King was still working on re-writing the FAH stats. I don't think the WCG stats will get updated until that is complete.

I thought I saw where King was still working on re-writing the FAH stats. I don't think the WCG stats will get updated until that is complete.

It's not an issue of rewriting the stats code necessarily. Ever since there were changes made on the forum server and a couple other things, not everything has been running smoothly with the WCG stats and there isn't anything King can do about it right now. Once some issues are ironed out and taken care of, the WCG stats will be up and running properly. Trust me, King wants to get this done as much as anyone else.

Back