WCG Challenge 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
Maybe another pony?
e83e1a71c05f7a395d717b21c23c7d97.jpg

What is it with Ubuntu and USBs?

My good USB stick got corrupt while it was running in the middle of the night somehow. After I did the reinstall process the first time on the first USB, I attempted to repair and recover this existing OS and after almost 3 hours got it back online.

I complained enough about it that the wife bought me some older smaller capacity SSDs off of fleabay.

Skillz If this doesn't work then I'm getting a really large hammer.....

My only guess is that it can't handle the read/writes WCG does. Especially if it's got a lot of tasks running.

Its only running WCG and I stripped everything else off.

The Intel SSDs should do a much better job and may allow me to bring the GPU on line for F@H as the same time but I've had issues getting it to work on 16.04.

WCG will start a "task" for each core/thread the CPU(s) have. So if you have a quad core CPU then it creates 4 tasks. If you have a 32 core CPU then it creates 32 tasks.

I'm not too familiar with Ubuntu. I use CentOS.

CentOS does ZFS right?

How is it compared to other OS' for speed? All Linux distros about the same?

I stick with CentOS because that's what I've been using for years and years. I started with RedHat, then it went pay only, switched to Fedora and now CentOS. I believe CentOS focuses on stability rather than cutting edge. My web server(s) and game server(s) are all hosted on CentOS boxes.

My only actual server is a 2016 DC box. I've thought about going to Freenas but to not use a valid license seems alittle bit wasteful.

Although the clustering of boxes in CentOS for large amounts of data with ZFS is looking really appealing. I dont think Ive seen anyone do an SSI on windows server.

Ok, I'm back running WCG.....after almost two weeks of absence, other than running occasional SCC but now they have added new batches. Booyah.

You gotta run FAAH V1 we need results not points!

Damn the UK has put on some points but they do have 587 members compared to 365.

That's not that bad IMO.

We typically only have ~50 active users at WCG at any given time.

Well they started like a week before we did in the challenge.

Today we had 49 members post results. UK had 69 members post results today.

The 3rd spot team is losing momentum and we are gaining momentum. See the last 5 days trend.

[H]
upload_2017-4-21_8-11-27.png

3rd spot team
upload_2017-4-21_8-10-21.png

Graph-wise:
[H]
upload_2017-4-21_8-13-8.png

3rd spot team
upload_2017-4-21_8-14-44.png

Till this morning, I returned 4,775 results. Well I was out of action the last two weeks but I'm doing my part now. :D
upload_2017-4-21_8-16-19.png

Awesome, welxome back!

One of my 64 core rigs has been running 20 cores since I got it due to heat. Got some nrw coolers on her and she's been cranking 64 cores since last night. I think I'm returning around 8k to 10k results a day right now.

Get a few more [H]ordes to turn in a few thousand results a day, we have a good shot at No. 3 spot. It ain't over till it's over.

We basically need to average more than 7.7K more results than UK to place 3rd.

We have not done that on any day yet, but we gotta do it the next 9 days in a row.

If we would have started when this first started we would be fighting for 2nd place right now. Keep the D up. 3rd place isn't impossible.

Same here. I was focussing on PG challenge.

Skillz, that brings up an important topic: personal goals versus team goals. I know each of us can decide what we want to do with our own damm rigs (lack of team work) or be part of a team player (helping the team to achieve short term goal). I'm not sure how many [H]ordes actually switch their projects to FAH1 to maximize results, for example. I'm not free from this blame (I've being running PG). Something for us to ponder as a team. I like 80/20 rule where focus 80% of your contribution to personal goals and 20% to team goals. Just my one cent.

Anyway, second half update, I'm now contributing 8,076 results but I think it will go down since I'm getting the RIGID WUs now with longer task time.

upload_2017-4-21_18-3-13.png

Morning update:
upload_2017-4-22_8-0-26.png

delta: 52,248
min output required for 3rd spot: 6,531 results/day

I've asked people to switch their projects to FAAH1 for this challenge. Up to them to listen. I have all my rigs running FAAH1 right now. I returned 10.7k results yesterday. Seems after changing one of my rigs from 20 tasks to 64 tasks hasn't really made a difference.

Well I just looked at the individual devices stats. The day before yesterday it did 1400 results. Mostly seems to be closer to 1000 and the highest was the day before yesterday with that 1400 results. One of time did it reach 1400 results, but it was a few tens lower. Yesterday however it returned 2100 results. So ~700 - 1000 more results after giving it over 66% more cores. Weird.

How are you getting 8k results with only 38 day run time?

I am only getting 10k results with 300+ day run time.

I already keep 10 days stored on all my rigs (network issues) but they download a mix of non-RIGID and RIGID. Is it not possible to force them to download non-RIGID tasks? That's the part I am confused about. How do I force non-RIGID tasks?

How do you know when they're out of non-RIGID tasks?

Feel free to delete them. I've got the info I needed.

Morning update:
upload_2017-4-23_8-51-54.png

delta: 35,401
additional run rate gain required for 3rd spot: 5,057 results/day

Ah, I have a similar thread going on in there where I post more updates trying to recruit new members.

I've recruited three people for this challenge so far.

1o57
MixManSC
Priller

I think challenges are a good way to get people to join. It's the reason I joined back in 2015 during the Christmas challenge. While I didn't have much to contribute during the race I still created an account and had a few cores crunching away. I ended up leaving my laptop running tasks for majority of the following year before late last year putting forth more effort after I got my first 4P.

Yup and it's all your fault Skillz

You're the reason why I've spent many late night trying to figure out little issues instead of waiting til the following day.

Right now my 2nd rig refuses to boot even with a new CMOS battery and even after it booted once it fails to even power on. Still trying to diag.

Speaking of which, how do I make WCG only run on a specific number of cores?

Open the BOINC manager and go to

Tools | Computing Preferences

Then click the processor usage tab (it is the first one so it might already be open)

Then next to "On multiprocessor systems, use at most ___ % of the processors (0 means ignore this setting)

Enter a percentage of the number of cores you want to use.

For example. If you have a quad core and you only want two cores to run then enter 50.

Strange because no matter how I set it, it still hits all cores to 100%. It just limits how much time it spends at 100%.

So 75% is 3 seconds at 100% followed by 1 second of 0%.

Are you saying if I enter 0 it will change so that if I enter 50 the load would stay at 50%?

Back