Ways to block Microsoft store on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Eiolon, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Eiolon

Eiolon Gawd

Are there any ways to block the Microsoft store on Windows 10 Pro now that the official method by Microsoft was removed with the anniversary update? Or at the very least, is there a way to stop people from downloading and installing apps? Even though the user is logged on as a User, not Administrator, they can still install the app (but not traditional software executables). Is there a way I can maybe do this on the network level by blocking ports?

I do have some Enterprise licenses but I would rather not have to waste them if the computer already comes with Windows 10 Pro.

2. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

3. Bird222

Bird222 [H]ard|Gawd

4. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

Download CCleaner and uninstall the Store and other Apps you don't want.

5. zero2dash

zero2dash [H]ardness Supreme

Wow, I didn't know that "Turn off the Store application" is ignored now (despite not saying it's for Enterprise/Education SKU's only, like "Disable all apps from Windows Store" now is).
    You can enable that GPO - doesn't matter now, Store still opens. o_O

You can remove it completely with Powershell, along with all the apps (linked above by Bird222) - however, there's always a chance an update will re-install it behind your back.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    muz_j likes this.
  6. DPI

DPI [H]ardForum Junkie

Sad state of computing when now Microsoft is the single biggest threat to it's own platform.

DeathFromBelow, Nenu and zero2dash like this.
  7. muz_j

muz_j Limp Gawd

IP security policies, the Windows Advanced firewall or a 3rd party firewall if required. But as stated above, I've removed all the default windows apps from Win 10 via Powershell and I intentionally do not use the Windows update services at all (I'm a professional and I update my OS'es as and when I see fit - but that scenario clearly isn't the best for a lot of other people out there - I'm just saying what works well for me :) )

8. Dr Tuek

Dr Tuek Gawd