Ways to block Microsoft store on Windows 10?

Eiolon

Gawd
Are there any ways to block the Microsoft store on Windows 10 Pro now that the official method by Microsoft was removed with the anniversary update? Or at the very least, is there a way to stop people from downloading and installing apps? Even though the user is logged on as a User, not Administrator, they can still install the app (but not traditional software executables). Is there a way I can maybe do this on the network level by blocking ports?

I do have some Enterprise licenses but I would rather not have to waste them if the computer already comes with Windows 10 Pro.

Wow, I didn't know that "Turn off the Store application" is ignored now (despite not saying it's for Enterprise/Education SKU's only, like "Disable all apps from Windows Store" now is).
You can enable that GPO - doesn't matter now, Store still opens. o_O

You can remove it completely with Powershell, along with all the apps (linked above by Bird222) - however, there's always a chance an update will re-install it behind your back.

Last edited:
Reactions: muz_j
like this
IP security policies, the Windows Advanced firewall or a 3rd party firewall if required. But as stated above, I've removed all the default windows apps from Win 10 via Powershell and I intentionally do not use the Windows update services at all (I'm a professional and I update my OS'es as and when I see fit - but that scenario clearly isn't the best for a lot of other people out there - I'm just saying what works well for me :) )

Back