Waving goodbye..... (for now)

one down side for me, while I was gone, housing decided to start charging for electricity use.....

I simply cannot afford $800 a month electric bills. So the SWMBO killed off folding while I was away. Also the AC... not to cheap either.

Ultimately, I'm probably not going to be able to do any significant folding in support of the team until I move. Then, assuming I get the job in NY, I most likely will be a winter folder, supporting the team and folding for heat. We will see what the future brings. I assure you, I'm not done folding for our team. I'm lining up a replacement for my rig that uses a 920 and I have some $ saved up for new CUDA based cards... 2x560(?), 2x570, or even a pair of 580s so when I do get folding, I should be even faster than I was.
 
If you're looking into GPUs, 460s are your best bet for PPD. For the price of two 580s you can literally buy 8 460s, which would get you about 90k PPD as opposed to 35k PPD.
 
$800 mo. for electricity? WTF? That sounds unrealistic.
 
at $0.30 a KWhr?

Folding Rigs and AC to cool them adds up fast.
 
damn $.30 KWhr? and i thought california was bad. hell i only pay between $.065-$.072 KWhr. my parents in california i think pay $.25 KWhr.
 
I simply cannot afford $800 a month electric bills. So the SWMBO killed off folding while I was away. Also the AC... not to cheap either.

Nor should you have to mate. That's pushing things for sure. I didn't like my bills during the summer. Luckily this month I've only had to turn on the A.C. two days.
 
Wow I can't believe you pay $.30 kWhr...I thought my $.1303 was high here in MD....Congrads on a safe return brother, and we can't wait to see what you will do in the future!

 
Welcome back :)

That bill is unrealistic but not a surprise. I received a 810$ bill recently but consider that it's for a span of 4 months and include a 280$ connection fee for a new house. It's hard to swallow but that's life and future bills would be more normal.
 
My worst was $975 for two months. GPUs were directly shut off upon bill reception.

Ouch, that sucks though. $0.30 a kw/h is in-frickin-sane.
 
Solar might be an option at .30

Very true Kendrak. Here is a link to a modeling software developed by NREL for a program called solar advisor model. I used it for a class to do some cost benefit analysis on various solar sites. Its no substitution for a proper field study in your exact location but it should give you an idea whether or not solar is worth it in the long run.
 
ehh maybe for some one who: owns their own home and plans to live there longer than 3 months. I don't fit into either category. But a lot of people building or remodeling are definitely going that route here in HI. I do have solar water heat tho...
 
Back
Top