• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Waving goodbye..... (for now)

jfb9301

[H]ard DCOTM x4
2FA
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
1,745
Some time in the not to distant future, I will be going on deployment for 6 or more months.

I'm leaving the rigs up, and hopefully my son will clean them out once in a while. So I'm doing what I can, but if stanford releases new clients..... I'm out of luck when the old WUs dry up.

I'll be able to check in from time to time as we hit foreign ports, but I won't have any kind of VNC set up so my network is on it's own.

Good luck to you guys in the fight against EVGA.....

HOOYAA...... I'm going west of 180 again.....

 
Take care and thank you for serving and protecting our country. I'm sure your sons will take good care of your folding rigs. Have a safe deployment!
 
Thank you for your courage! I am a huge sissy and could never do something like that. But if you change your mind, I can accidentally break your arm.

Good Luck and God Speed!
 
Good luck and have a safe deployment..Have you ever used LogMeIn?

I actually use it to check on my dad's F@H client all the time...

 
So as we all ride some kind of horse into battle as it were.....

I thought I'd share a couple pictures of mine.....

submarine.jpg


PD.jpg


DSC_024.jpg
 
Last edited:
nice ride.. to bad im way to tall to ever stand in one of those things.. tried walking in one that was decommisioned and parked out here in SF.. kept slamming my head into every friggin bulk head.. good luck to ya and have fun or at least try too :p
 
We recently got a radioman who is 6'8"......

He's almost a full head taller than the rest of us, and can't walk anywhere standing upright.
 
We recently got a radioman who is 6'8"......

He's almost a full head taller than the rest of us, and can't walk anywhere standing upright.


wow that sucks for him.. wonder what he was thinking getting into that line of work for the navy..
 
Hey everyone.....

I'm here in Guam, USA

Sunny, HOT and Humid..... I'll keep checking back
 
Glad you arrived safely :) Now stay safe over there too :D
 
Heretic, I did 8.5 years on boomers....

now I'm 5.5 years.... Fast Attack Tough..... Hoooya

oh, and west BTW.... hence the west of 180 here in Guam.
 
Stay away from mega sharks and giant octopusses, I've watched loads of films (films are based on reality) and you survive as long as you are sexing one of the main characters.
 
Find a new boat :)

or just join another branch, Army could use a few more guys like you :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
What, no robots!? I thought it was all modern!! But anyway, when theres giant octopus around its all hard decisions! But just go with the flow.

Damnit I seriously have a submarine phobia. Do they really spring leaks that you have to hold cloths over lots?
 
I'm sure it's like anything else we use in our military, the best equipment in the world made of and assembled by the absolute lowest bidder :)

but like everything else, even tho it may have issues, things always seem to pull off their inteded functions, it's just the everything else part they get caughtup on
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
gotta add that it uses technology that is at least 20 years old......
but in any event, we get the job done.... yea there are more advanced boats in the fleet but all that technology breaks more often. Sometimes old, tried and true is the best. I spent 3.5 years on THE 688 (USS Los Angeles) she was 37 years old. she broke all the time but we still managed to stay out 75% of the time getting the job done. God rest her soul, she's being chopped up for razor blades now. She took me places I can never say where I went, but I can at least say it made me nervous being there, and I've been doing this for over 18 years. End of the day, the old girl brought me home.

navy let the cat out of the bag on female submariners..... looking like in a year or two boomers will have them....but not fast boats anytime soon.
 
You know that's just gonna be more hassle than it's worth lol, they ban smoking on subs and now wanna add women, they thought sailors were stressing before, wait till all the ladies get on the same cycle, and your stuck in that fish can with em, and you know a few atleast will out rank you

At least up on the surface we can still smoke and catch fresh breeze lol

(no offense to women, all joking in good manor with fellow SM)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Heretic, I did 8.5 years on boomers....

now I'm 5.5 years.... Fast Attack Tough..... Hoooya

Which have you liked better overall for duty ?

As far as females on the boats, I'd be Ok with it as long as that was the full crew's compliment. I'm not sure how thrilled they would be hotracking with us up in forward torpedo on deployments.
 
You know that's just gonna be more hassle than it's worth lol, they ban smoking on subs and now wanna add women, they thought sailors were stressing before, wait till all the ladies get on the same cycle, and your stuck in that fish can with em, and you know a few atleast will out rank you

At least up on the surface we can still smoke and catch fresh breeze lol

(no offense to women, all joking in good manor with fellow SM)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Few out rank a pissed off Chief.........even the officers steer clear...
I had a bite or two of lieutenant a couple of weeks ago. Training was effective tho, he won't try that again without letting me know first.

Honestly, from a personal perspective I could care less if women are allowed on submarines. We'd both wear the same color blue and bleed the same color red. The important part is "being a Submariner". If anyone can't cut that (male or female) I have no use for them and they are probably a risk to my life (and I will treat them as such)

From a professional standpoint, I forsee women on subs as a challenge. Not insurmountable, but a challenge none the less. It is a matter of managing the personnel, the logistics. And EVERYONE male and female need to understand things like privacy. There is precious little on a pig boat. and they need to manage that carefully. Female berthing will probably at some time have to allow men in it. Most probably for waking people up. This cuts both ways, women will probably at some point have to enter male berthing for similar reasons. That and there is no personal space when passing someone in a passageway (if you don't know what that is, think hallway). At best on a 688 they are roughly 2 feet wide. I can't pass some bigger guys without rubbing all over them. I'm sure women and men passing in the passageway might bother someone. Well that's life on a sub, get over it.

the Ausies have had co-ed crews for years now. They just "got over" everything. Co-ed berthing, bathrooms... everything. Life on a sub is what it is. It would be good if we could just do that, but with American "norms" being what they are, I doubt it.

Life on boomers would probably have been my favorite. More predicable schedule, better living conditions. But they never go anywhere.

Life on Fast Boats, well, it's the hardest duty I've ever done. They go places sometimes. The crew is a much tighter team. Tho I can't tell you about the interesting things I've done, the assignments are more rewarding than "go out and hide for 10 weeks". The SWMBO and I just cant keep living with the schedule written in luke warm Jello. I'm looking forward to shore duty after I finish out the rotation on this sub.
 
What, no robots!? I thought it was all modern!! But anyway, when theres giant octopus around its all hard decisions! But just go with the flow.

Damnit I seriously have a submarine phobia. Do they really spring leaks that you have to hold cloths over lots?

not really......well never, but every once in a while you get someone actively trying to kill you. Once one of the mechanics who works under me left a seawater drain for an air-conditioning unit open when he started it up. He didn't know it was open because the drain was clogged and no water came out. As we went deeper, the clog cleared and we got 200 gallons of water in real fast. The valve got shut, we cleaned up the mess, and we got him a new pair of shorts, the old ones might have gotten some dirt in them.
 
The mixxing issue is where I forsee the problem. In combat and true forward bases it's mixed gender areas, and like you said, you've only so much room on a dive, it's not like here on the surface where you just add more tents or trailers. When my BN does field training we mix genders to better suit the training, and not very often do we find other units that do that, we have to play it careful around the higher brass sometimes. They have their own field showers when available, if not, we do rotations. Other than that we eat/shit/train/sleep together. Altho I will say there is a group of the males we always keep with just males, you know the ones that create problems when you mix, usually the damn kids. We've also been lucky to have females that don't mind this for the most part, hell most of them are so comfortable with some of us we'll sleep in the same beds when we go places with a hotel or change all in the same tents, just a matter of y'all look this way y'all look that way, but it's got to the point where the ones we can mix don't look around anyways and if they do see stuff no biggie.

But it is a slippery slope with all the current EO stuff out there, I can see where that would get even worse on a dive
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
But for what it's worth you sound like a hell of a guy, you run a tight ship I bet, if you were on the surface I wouldn't mind serving under you fwiw
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Which have you liked better overall for duty ?

As far as females on the boats, I'd be Ok with it as long as that was the full crew's compliment. I'm not sure how thrilled they would be hotracking with us up in forward torpedo on deployments.

Hot racking would be a significant problem.

Hotracking - 2 bunks for 3 people. based on 6 on 12 off, you only need 2 racks for 3 guys. Its miserable, but it is a way of life for a boat that has berthing for 110 and 135 people assigned. Called such because when you craw into the rack it's still warm from the person who got out to relieve you.

Heritic - try being assigned to squadron 1 like the LA..... you get underway with 185 or so onboard, including Seals, Divers and Ships Force. Only 3 First Classes and the Khakis had their own racks. Fwd crews, Aft Crews and 18 out 21 Man was hot-racking. I lived it for a mission. we lost all our R-12 toward the end, so we lost freeze box and chill box, the athwart ships smelled terrible with both of those decomposing.
 
We used to do that in tents, atleast we could open the windows, that would suck in a can lol, hats off to you two, takes a special kind of person from what I hear
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
From a professional standpoint, I forsee women on subs as a challenge. Not insurmountable, but a challenge none the less. It is a matter of managing the personnel, the logistics. And EVERYONE male and female need to understand things like privacy. There is precious little on a pig boat. and they need to manage that carefully. Female berthing will probably at some time have to allow men in it. Most probably for waking people up. This cuts both ways, women will probably at some point have to enter male berthing for similar reasons. That and there is no personal space when passing someone in a passageway (if you don't know what that is, think hallway). At best on a 688 they are roughly 2 feet wide. I can't pass some bigger guys without rubbing all over them. I'm sure women and men passing in the passageway might bother someone. Well that's life on a sub, get over it.
.

That really sums it up pretty good.

The prospect of having to deal with situations like hotracking is just the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about them allowing females on the boats. It's nothing to do with their abilities or skills, but just how there is such a lack of privacy present in that environment and not sure if that could work for a full crew.
 
Back
Top