Watercooling for folding

heh... now here's something I can help in. :D

For starters, the waterblock. Not at all what you want. I am assuming you were trying to do this as low cost as possible, but a few bucks more will get you a much better block. That one is a few years old now, and overpriced for the performance. Instead, try this: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/waterblocks.html. Pick the block with the mounting hardware for your CPU, and make sure its a 6002 model, not 6000. The 6002 is 1/2" tubing, the 6000 is 3/8".

GPU block.. fine choice. Though if space is not an issue, you may want to get the high-profile block. It will will be less restricting on flow, but takes up another slot.

Radatior... that won't work. It doesnt have the heat disipation to handle a cpu and a gpu. What case do you have, ill see if I can find something that will fit better. How do you feel about modding your case?

As far as a reservior, I really like this one: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcre1.html. It's small and easy to place, and its actually better for your flow. Basically, in one of those big dual radatiors, your going to have water sitting in it. This means when your pumps sucks water from it, its got to accelerate the water. More work. With the swiftech, its designed to keep water flowing, so the pump is just sucking along already flowing water. Means better flow and longer pump life. Plus its small, and can be conviently mounted vertially alongside 3.5" bays.

As far as a pump goes... if your interested i've got an eheim 1048 sitting on my shelf. Havent used it in a while. Its big, but if you can make room for it, its super quiet and its a low-flow pump, which will get you better temps on that CPU block I reccomended. I'd sell it to ya for $25. Goes for $50 on DD. If your looker for something smaller, look to the DD5... but I think they run $80 or so.

You're going to want a 120mm rad MINIMUM for GPU and CPU. And I highly suggest going dual 120 at that.

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
You're going to want a 120mm rad MINIMUM for GPU and CPU. And I highly suggest going dual 120 at that.

Dual 120 probably isnt feesable, and it's really not necessary. I've seen pleanty of GPU and CPU loops with just a 120mm rad. What may be neserray though, is a thicker (BIX) radatior, and two fans doing push/pull.

I'd think it'd be neccesary with the highish end parts he's running if he wants nice overclocks. If he is willing to mod his case it would be very feasable.

I have a coolermaster preatorian case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119035
I already self modded it with a custom window and etching, stealth drive, etc. I'd be very interested in that pump if I can make room for it.

BTW, wit hthe case, i only have 1 hard drive slot used and only 2 of my 5" drive bays used, if that gives you any help with how much room I have.

Thats a tiny case. Can you get a measurement from the power supply support to the front of your 5.25 bays? I think a 2x120mm radatior may be to long...

as far as the pump goes... it would fit, but it would be tight. You would probably want some tygon tubing (though I reccomend it anyways) to avoid kinks. I will go make a mock up in mspaint :D to get you a visual.

EDIT: It's sloppy, but it gets the point across. You woudl have to mod some holes in the top, and screw holes in the bottem of your case for the pump, but thats about it. As I said its tihgt, expecially from pump to reservior, but it should work as long as you route your tubing correctly.

wcsample.jpg

Yeah, Viper got the locations for the rad and res spot on. Other than that the pump placement is really up to you even though you only have a few possible spots for it.

When I get home I'll make those measurements and see if that will work. Otherwise It sounds Like I may have to house some of the components outside the case. Any Suggestions on how that might go about working? Maybe and easy way to add some extra to the bottom of the case (like a basement kind of thing.) that might hide some of the stuff, right?

poddo said:
When I get home I'll make those measurements and see if that will work. Otherwise It sounds Like I may have to house some of the components outside the case. Any Suggestions on how that might go about working? Maybe and easy way to add some extra to the bottom of the case (like a basement kind of thing.) that might hide some of the stuff, right?

This is something alot of people do. Fabricate a box that can go on top of or underneath your PC. This will work, but it all but kills the portibility of your PC... keep that in mind.

As far as a radatior goes... if a 2x120mm won't fit, you could always mount that externally outside of your case. The PSU would cut off a bit of flow but it wouldn't be terrable.

SpoogeMonkey said:
The radbox is such a wonderful tool for externally mounting your rad. Works great.

Indeed, but it doesnt come in an 80mm flavor does it?

I don't think so, but if you're gonna hang a rad off the back it might as well be a nice big 120x2 :D I personally like the look of it......and it always gets peoples attention when they see my box.

SpoogeMonkey said:
I don't think so, but if you're gonna hang a rad off the back it might as well be a nice big 120x2 :D I personally like the look of it......and it always gets peoples attention when they see my box.

No room, thats the problem. His case only has a single 80mm fan slot... and no room to drill holes for a 120mm.

So basicly my case is preventing my watercooling potential? that sucks because I love this case. And I do tend to take it to lans and wahtnot, so I'd like to keep the semi-portability.

poddo said:
So basicly my case is preventing my watercooling potential? that sucks because I love this case. And I do tend to take it to lans and wahtnot, so I'd like to keep the semi-portability.

Yes at no... it depends entirly on if you could fit a 2x120mm rad up top. If you can, than no worries. If not... your going to have to get creative.

Hey Viper- what should I do with this-

deltastarmain.jpg

Water chiller...

Model Number DS-4
Horse Power 1/3
BTU Removal Capacity 4050
Volts 115
Amps 7.2
Flow (gpm) Min/Max 10/20
In/Out 3/4"
Weight 69 lbs.

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/

I'll make the measurements now. If i did that, would I need to cut 2x120 holes in the top of my case? how would the fans be set up on the radiators if the Rad was attached to the top of the case?

marty9876 said:
Hey Viper- what should I do with this-

deltastarmain.jpg

Water chiller...

Model Number DS-4
Horse Power 1/3
BTU Removal Capacity 4050
Volts 115
Amps 7.2
Flow (gpm) Min/Max 10/20
In/Out 3/4"
Weight 69 lbs.

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/

Do you actually have one of those just lying around?

Measurements from PSU support to front of drive bay is 290 cm. w00t!

poddo said:
Measurements from PSU support to front of drive bay is 290 cm. w00t!

Nice. This is 277cm. It will be tight, but you could mod it to fit up there. I suggest you go with teh layout I showed you in my exellent ms paint work.

your ms paint work WAS excellent. props to you. Will my hard drive still have a space somewhere if I put the res where you had it? And would that pump you wanted to sell me fit where you had it in the drawing?

poddo said:
your ms paint work WAS excellent. props to you. Will my hard drive still have a space somewhere if I put the res where you had it? And would that pump you wanted to sell me fit where you had it in the drawing?

yes, and yes.

Here's a shot of the pump from my system a few months back. Ignore the hanging gpu block ;)
256cdb34.jpg

Hooray for Fortron Blue Storm, viper! my favorite PSU. Looks like that pump should fit just fine. And its 1/2" id, correct?

poddo said:
Hooray for Fortron Blue Storm, viper! my favorite PSU. Looks like that pump should fit just fine. And its 1/2" id, correct?

Yeah, 1/2"

Viper87227 said:
That is awesome. Do you have plans to use it? How knowledgeable are you about watercooling, and more importantly insulation (condensation = bad)?

Let's start over. Hey Viper, know anything about water cooling and more importantly insulation? :p Me know nothing!

poddo- sorry about the thread crap, get use to it! :)

I dunno, it's a big a$$ water chiller. Gotta be good for something. I was reading over at the xtreame folks add anti freeze and chill water below freezing. Crazy stuff.

If this could really do somethign neat up, that would be cool. I was thinking a QMD monster. The chiller costs ~$900.00 or so, I'd rather not screw it up.

I've good with plumming (ok, sort of).

marty9876 said:
Let's start over. Hey Viper, know anything about water cooling and more importantly insulation? :p Me know nothing!

poddo- sorry about the thread crap, get use to it! :)

I dunno, it's a big a$$ water chiller. Gotta be good for something. I was reading over at the xtreame folks add anti freeze and chill water below freezing. Crazy stuff.

If this could really do somethign neat up, that would be cool. I was thinking a QMD monster. The chiller costs ~$900.00 or so, I'd rather not screw it up.

I've good with plumming (ok, sort of).

Haha. Watercooling i've all but perfected, I can help there. Insulation... i've never dabbled into that market, but i am researching as we speak. Rumor has it heatshrink tubing works, but I am not sure thats the best solution. Kyle used it when he reviewed a TEC though, and it worked. :confused: As far as using that thing... anti freeze wouldnt lower temps at all. The purpose of anti freeze in a wc loop is to kill off creepy crawlies really. I don't think your going to get temps down to freezing, not witha scorching CPU underneath. However, I bet you could get a CPU down to 5-10C with that thing... which makes for some damn nice oc headroom.

I'm gunna put some research into this and get back to you. In the mean time, just out of curiosity, why do you even have a $900 waterchiller?

EDIT: Or... if you don't want to risk breaking it.. you can just send it my way. I'll take good care of her for you ;)

Viper87227 said:
I'm gunna put some research into this and get back to you. In the mean time, just out of curiosity, why do you even have a $900 waterchiller?

EDIT: Or... if you don't want to risk breaking it.. you can just send it my way. I'll take good care of her for you ;)

Umm no thanks.

Yea, let's make a project out of this for a later thread if your up for it. I'm kinda short on parts to OC... Main shortage is a good PSU, I've got a cheapo 450 Watt, and some better 335/350 PSU's. Best OC setup is Asus P4P800 w/ 3.2 P4.

Why I have this... I was into high end salt water reef tanks. I've got enough pumps to be a solo water supply plant for a small city. Enough metal halides to grow a rain forest, enough plumbing fittings to raise the Titanic. CO2 system to make who knows out of.

Honestly I want to get something above 4.x Gzh. Maybe pickup a Celly and OC the living hell out of it. I dunno, I'm open to ideas. I have a drain in the floor of my shop for when things go wrong...
:D

marty9876 said:
Umm no thanks.

Yea, let's make a project out of this for a later thread if your up for it. I'm kinda short on parts to OC... Main shortage is a good PSU, I've got a cheapo 450 Watt, and some better 335/350 PSU's. Best OC setup is Asus P4P800 w/ 3.2 P4.

Why I have this... I was into high end salt water reef tanks. I've got enough pumps to be a solo water supply plant for a small city. Enough metal halides to grow a rain forest, enough plumbing fittings to raise the Titanic. CO2 system to make who knows out of.

Honestly I want to get something above 4.x Gzh. Maybe pickup a Celly and OC the living hell out of it. I dunno, I'm open to ideas. I have a drain in the floor of my shop for when things go wrong...
:D

Your p4p800 and 3.2 would almost certainly climb above 4x. Ive never OCed much with P4's, but i'd be shocked if it couldnt. A celly d... same thing, 4Ghz+ should be a given. Another thing to concider though... whats it going to do to your electic bill running that thing 24/7?

Don't worry about the threadcrap. for somereason in this forum it doesnt feel like a crap. more like an evolution. Everyone here is really nice so I don't mind. I'll pm you later about the pump, I'm definitely interested. Thanks for all the help! full fold ahead!

Viper87227 said:
Your p4p800 and 3.2 would almost certainly climb above 4x. Ive never OCed much with P4's, but i'd be shocked if it couldnt. A celly d... same thing, 4Ghz+ should be a given. Another thing to concider though... whats it going to do to your electic bill running that thing 24/7?

I was thinking about doing this at shop= free

Right now the Asus/P4 does ~3.6 on air. POST's at 3.8/3.91 but not really stable (no Windows boot up). The CPU hates lots of voltage, quits posting above 1.525 I think. Options fo up to 1.8 or something like that.

Ohh, also short any decent ram.

Maybe not a long term run deal, just something for shits and giggles.

marty9876 said:
I was thinking about doing this at shop= free

Right now the Asus/P4 does ~3.6 on air. POST's at 3.8/3.91 but not really stable (no Windows boot up). The CPU hates lots of voltage, quits posting above 1.525 I think. Options fo up to 1.8 or something like that.

Ohh, also short any decent ram.

Maybe not a long term run deal, just something for shits and giggles.

Those are some expensive shits and giggles.... but it would be fun. If your curious, here you can check out some worklogs and pics to get an idea of how these are set up and insulated. Lots of pictures
:D :D

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78513
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30787&page=1&pp=25

Back on the topic, how loud is that pump you we're looking to sell me? Also, If I mount the Rad on the ceiling of the case, where do the fans go? just underneath it, blowing upwards?

Also, do you think it's worth it to WC/OC my graphics card?

Nice, thats how I was thinking about mine, fans on top (except without the cable mess :p) Are those 2 80s on top there with something massive underneath moose?

poddo said:
Nice, thats how I was thinking about mine, fans on top (except without the cable mess :p) Are those 2 80s on top there with something massive underneath moose?
The cables are a mess and a half!

They are two 80mm's on top and a 172mm from Comair Rotron called the Patriot.

It was all the rage when I built this thing 4 years ago... ;)

I'm going with a radiator that is 2x120. So would it work if i just ahd 2 120s on tope and 2 on the bottom? And what would the flow look like? in from the top, and out through the bottom? or reverse?

Back