Water Cooling Optimization

NExUS1g

Gawd
As I was advised in another thread, it appears the standard setup for water cooling is a daisy chain of water blocks instead of each node having its own path to the radiator. This raised the question of efficiency. For instance, once the water goes through one block and picks up heat, it will not be as efficient on the second block it visits and so on (at least in theory that's what I'm thinking).

Is this correct? And if it is correct, what's the most efficient pathing for the water to take?

/edit: Found the stickied FAQ and answer to my question. Sorry. :)

Its widely accepted that your premise is mistaken. While it cannot be argued against that water leaving the block has to be warmer than water entering the block ( or else the block is not cooling) the difference in temp is very small, it is the volume/flow rate that carries away the heat so effectively. The delta in temps between inlet and outlet is typcally so small, less than 2C that it is within the error of most enthusiast measusing devices and to be determined accurately very high precision temp monitiong equipement is required. The other point is that water conducts heat so effectively that the delta in temp is rapidly spread throughtout the flulid, you just do not get "hot spots'. The entire point is that water conducts heat so well and carries it away so fast that any single loop will quickly come to some "working" temp and it is almost impossible to measure accuratley the temp differences around the loop. In simple terms, done right, it works so freaking well your concern does not matter.

The major heat producers are the cpu and video card. Some cool the NB and it helps with extreme OCIng but the NB puts out less than 25Watts even highly OCed so is nothing compared to the 100+ wats of the cpu or the 200+ watts of a monster video card so at most if you decide to go seperate loops (really seperate, 2 pumps 2 independent loops) one for the cpu + NB and one for the video card(s) is all that is needed if you are absolutely intent on seperate loops.

The time effort and expense of running dual loops is rarely worth it but in some cases it can be justified and in the end its your call. Monster SLI setups would be a good excuse.

If you run the blocks in parallel you run into big flow problems and the heat conduction of the water pretty much negates any benifit and the routing and tubing mess is a nightmare.

Lots more reasons but bottom line, a lot of us been doing this for lots of years and unless you are up to something very special the best, easiest, most effective is the dasy chain. Put the CPU first after the rad (pump does not count) then go to your other blocks, yes they might be 1C warmer but I guess its your call if the 1C is worth the time and expense.

Doh! (for the edit - I was getting on a roll haha . !)

Back