Water cooling from a medical laser?

viscountalpha

2[H]4U
So I help out a friend who owns a surplus hardware shop and I was noticing some of the water cooling parts off of this laser. I've always resisted water cooling because it looks like a lot of work and Honestly? I don't really OC at all.

However, I think I could get a water pump and some basic set of parts for finally doing water cooling. I love the idea of recycling useful parts and pulling it off a laser no less. (15watt 350 microsecond laser )

I'll get some images up of the parts available and update this later.

20170424_163415.jpg

The fittings looked standard which is why I was considering it. I don't have a water block and I dont have a GPS block (yet)

Attachments

• 20170424_163358.jpg
    20170424_163358.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
It might be nice for the "wow, this came from a laser" factor...but I'd imagine it's going to be a lot more headache than it'd be worth for day-to-day use.

What parts from the laser setup are you planning on using? Is there something shaped like a CPU block? What fittings will you use? What about the rest of your loop?

I mean... if you're committed to the project have fun with it, but with all the commercially available purpose-built watercooling hardware on the market, adapting something else seems like a lot of work for potentially not very much benefit.

Just the radiator and the pump. I'm not sure how loud they are. If they are stupidly loud it will be a non-starter.

A 15W laser cooler isnt going to cool a 150W clocked CPU.
Get a 280mm or larger car heatercore for a radiator, a reliable pond pump and 1/2" ID tube + a decent block.
Golden performance for minimal cost.

ps radiators arent loud.
Fans can be, pumps can be.

Just the radiator and the pump. I'm not sure how loud they are. If they are stupidly loud it will be a non-starter.

That's a pretty small pump, but you could probably do something with the rad/res combo. I'd be really careful though, it looks like some aluminum parts in there. Mixing those with copper/nickel/brass that most CPU/GPU blocks contain can cause galvanic corrosion, depending on the coolant you use.

That's a pretty small pump, but you could probably do something with the rad/res combo. I'd be really careful though, it looks like some aluminum parts in there. Mixing those with copper/nickel/brass that most CPU/GPU blocks contain can cause galvanic corrosion, depending on the coolant you use.

That's what I was looking for. Yeah. I saw those pipes and it clearly says de-ionized water only so that may not work at all. Thanks!

That's what I was looking for. Yeah. I saw those pipes and it clearly says de-ionized water only so that may not work at all. Thanks!
Thats what you should use at minimum to prevent solids building up inside the water block, pump and radiator.
Not to mention they can make pipes look ugly and slow flow.

I use Reverse Osmosis water.

Back