• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Water block for the 4890?

If you look at the 4890 vs. the 4870, they're pretty similar: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4364024

My guess is a GPU only block that fit the 4870 would fit the 4890 with no problem. Full cover blocks or something like the full cover heatsinks to be used with GPU-only blocks I'd be wary of using (they might not contact the VRMs or they could short something, etc.). That said, you could try combining a GPU-only block and tack on some simple heatsinks to cool the RAM and VRM's (just make sure you have airflow over the VRM's).
 
my guess is that they would be pretty much the same since they are the same card just an updated gpu.. i would just look for some pictures of the 4870 and the 4890 with the heatsinks off and see if they match up..
 
That said, you could try combining a GPU-only block and tack on some simple heatsinks to cool the RAM and VRM's (just make sure you have airflow over the VRM's).

No, that doesn't work.

Here's what I did to my 4890 before slapping on an EK VGA-Supreme GPU-only block.

Sapphire4890withheatsinksattached.jpg


Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The VRM overheats rather quickly and crashes the entire system.

I'm back to the stock hsf now while waiting for the arrival of my EK full-face block.
 
No, that doesn't work.
Here's what I did to my 4890 before slapping on an EK VGA-Supreme GPU-only block.
*snip*
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. The VRM overheats rather quickly and crashes the entire system.
I'm back to the stock hsf now while waiting for the arrival of my EK full-face block.
That's because those heatsinks on the VRMs are way too small for the heat they output. You have to make sure your heatsink can adequately dissipate the heat put out by the chip while maintaining a reasonable temperature delta with the surrounding air. I remember that the VRMs on my 4870 used to put out insane amounts of heat, I doubt the ones on the 4890 are any better (and are probably much worse). Try tacking on a very large heatsink that bridges all five of them, or using the stock backplate in combination with the GPU waterblock (if it fits).
 
Last edited:
@ Mr. K6, thanks

I've just installed a full-face block and it is now working great :)

Sapphire4890withEKfull-faceblock.jpg
 
thank god they have one because this thing seriously sounds like a jet taking off.. its so much louder than my old 200 series cards
 
@ Mr. K6, thanks

I've just installed a full-face block and it is now working great :)

Sapphire4890withEKfull-faceblock.jpg

thats beautifull man. Cant wait to get one of these new cards. The biggest mistake I mage was getting a gpu only waterblock for my 4850. I should have went for the full face, wont make that mistake this time.
 
Back
Top