Watching DVDs Through Chrome Browser Tab

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ElectroPulse, Feb 10, 2018.

1. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse Limp Gawd

Hello,

My long-distance GF and I have been having some good success with using Rabb.it to watch movies and videos together. The way it works is it mirrors the content of a specified Chrome tab to the other person. There is no way to mirror the desktop. We've looked at a couple other alternatives that do this, but she has a very slow, unreliable internet connection and Rabb.it has been the smoothest, clearest, and most stable we've tried.

This works great for streamed movies and local video files (since you can right-click the local file and open with Chrome), but for DVDs and Blu-rays that means I have to rip them before we can watch them together. As a result, we have to plan our movie watching a day in advance if we want to watch something from my collection.

Is there any way to get a DVD/Blu-Ray playing directly in a Chrome browser tab?

Thanks

2. Twinsen

Twinsen [H]Lite

Cool, idea. But no solution that I've heard of, but have you tried just sharing a Netflix account and timing when you guys hit play? Could also incorporate Skype chat if you guys don't already do that so you can see each other's expressions while watching. I used to do this WAAAAAY back in the day kind of MST3k style in my mIRC days, lol.

3. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse Limp Gawd

Rabb.it already takes care of all of that. If you can play it in a browser, you can stream it to someone else (and see them while doing so). It's pretty neat, and any glitches we've run into with it are resolved with the good ol' "turn it off and back on again."

Literally all that I cannot do already with it is DVDs/Blu-Rays without first ripping them.

Twinsen likes this.
  4. Twinsen

Twinsen [H]Lite

Have you tried looking for a good remote desktop viewing app that supports video in high quality? I used to use one on my phone for my desktop that worked well, then they stopped supporting it.

5. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse Limp Gawd

Not yet. Rabb.it has seemed to work well for us (despite the bandwidth limitations and unreliability of her internet connection), so had hoped to find a solution that worked with that.

Or are you meaning a remote desktop solution that I can view in my own browser, and stream to her using Rabb.it? That might work... I could set up a VM that I could pass the Blu-Ray drive through to, and stream it from there. I'll need to look into this.

6. Twinsen

Twinsen [H]Lite

Exactamundo! :)

7. dbwillis

dbwillis [H]ardness Supreme