Watch Dogs: E3 2012 vs PC Release

No one seems to notice that the E3 demo sequence was a different time of day in game? it appears to be dusk with long shadows cast by the trees and sunlight vs night time in the "PC release" with only artificial lighting.

Also notice areas where 3d objects are replaced with flat textures....e.g when Aiden walks under cover in front of the club, the lights bulbs in the roof have been replaced with a flat texture.

Also, the whole graphics fiasco wouldn't be nearly as controversial if Ubi hadn't lied its fucking arse off about the issue in the lead up to release...

original.jpg

It's very obvious there was and is a downgrade in visual quality between the E3 2012 build and the current PS4 and especially PC release. The DSOGaming article is damning enough.

If anything, don't believe whatever Ubisoft showcases at this E3 if this is the case. Actually, avoid them altogether.

So glad I passed on this game. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its embarrassing that companies do this to Show Off products at E3 and then this shit happens. Bait and Switch no no, just downright lies.

Still not as bad as Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Bullshit, I'm more inclined to believe that the E3 footage was prerendered marketing crap than them toning it down for consoles. It was 2 years ago and running that smooth with much better gfx, vs much better cards now, worse gfx and running a lot worse. Bullshit.

This is hardocp, where hatred of Apple and consoles runs deep and defies logic.

It's no use.

Hopefully shitty game companies will go out of business. To see that 90 degree train in a game is just really bad.

I love ho people get pissed off at this kinda stuff, like it was "false advertisement" or somethin... do you also complain about trailers and tv ads? What about the picture of food on labels/boxes? It's really simple folks: don't judge a book by it's cover... same goes with pre-release game footage.

43403521.jpg

As PC games are being subjected to consolization (catering to the lowest plaform) console games will suffer due to mobilization (console games designed for the mobile market).

Lol can't wait to see the first E3 BS video of a mobile>console>PC port and resulting fallout on release.

What a fail this looks like. GTASA graphics anyone?

It looks like the game was castrated for consoles and a having a experience parity across all platforms?! If this turns out to be true i say to hell with that that!!! I want my rig catching fire when i try to play this game!

Since they made it on the PC first, why they hell the game just can stay the same?
It's take extra work to downgrade visuals and alter storylines after the initial build. Just stupid.

Ive been burned by ubisoft way too many times before. I had this game payed for 2 months ago and Im glad I went and got my money back. I feel bad for you all that believed the hype.

Since they made it on the PC first, why they hell the game just can stay the same?
It's take extra work to downgrade visuals and alter storylines after the initial build. Just stupid.

PC gaming is a threat to Sony and Microsoft, plus there's no incentive to give more visuals to PC gamers. Game developers aren't going to go out of their way to give benefits to PC gaming. A lot of those minor details aren't something that any decent gaming PC couldn't handle, but the PS4/Xbone might struggle with.

But this isn't the first E3 game to look worse on release.

It's getting
out of
control.

To the point that maybe we should just treat E3 demos as games you'll never truly get.
bonus

and people buy this garbage ? the game looks nothing even close to that e3 video.. its sad how they get away with this :(

I've said it and I'll say it again: Cross-gen? Crossed off my list.

Thats pretty much it. Contrary to what some die hards claim PS4 and xbone are capable of some damn nice visuals (just not in 1080p 60fps) but if the game is cross generation, meaning its developed for the X360 and PS3 too, you know its going to look shitty no matter what you play it on.

Simply put, the ghosts of the x360 and ps3 are still haunting us and ruining next gen graphics.

Bullshit, I'm more inclined to believe that the E3 footage was prerendered marketing crap than them toning it down for consoles. It was 2 years ago and running that smooth with much better gfx, vs much better cards now, worse gfx and running a lot worse. Bullshit.
Well actually top hardware from 2 years ago still had a lot of muscle. But let's look at either scenario:

Scenario 1: This was running realtime, then it got gutted, because "fuck PCs" apparently.

Scenario 2: You're right and this was pre-rendered. They still added the details for that video to build this up into something it's not, make it LOOK like it's gameplay footage and is essentially a form of false advertising.

Either way, the message is clear: Consumers, FUCK YOU

i only buy ubisoft games at 75+% off because of uplay alone, this jus tmakes it worse ^ ^

It's not really a big deal to me but I'm guessing I'm one in a few that cares more about the actual game than the visuals these days. Yeah, it did look better during the E3 demonstrations but it's not to the point that's it's worth crying over. The game still looks great with the settings cranked. Some smoke & reflections is not going to make me act like someone took a crap in my Cap'n Crunch. Besides, these kinds of situations should come as expected. It's been occurring in PC gaming since the 90's.

It's not really a big deal to me but I'm guessing I'm one in a few that cares more about the actual game than the visuals these days.

That's the thing...the game itself isn't even that amazing. It's basically just a GTA clone.

Moreover, how is it we should just come to "expect" being lied to in the face by E3 presentations?

When they say it's ingame and rendered in realtime, I guess from now on I should expect all companies to be showing totally fabricated bullshit and just be thankful some of them are honest? It's people like you who are to blame for DLC and infinite patches (as opposed to actually finishing the game the first time) taking hold of the current gaming market.

It's not really a big deal to me but I'm guessing I'm one in a few that cares more about the actual game than the visuals these days. Yeah, it did look better during the E3 demonstrations but it's not to the point that's it's worth crying over. The game still looks great with the settings cranked. Some smoke & reflections is not going to make me act like someone took a crap in my Cap'n Crunch. Besides, these kinds of situations should come as expected. It's been occurring in PC gaming since the 90's.

Games should be advancing in detail, not reducing detail.

So basically the same thing EA did with Star Wars The Old Republic? Make the "high" settings what were the "medium" settings before the game was released.

Moreover, how is it we should just come to "expect" being lied to in the face by E3 presentations?

When they say it's ingame and rendered in realtime, I guess from now on I should expect all companies to be showing totally fabricated bullshit and just be thankful some of them are honest? It's people like you who are to blame for DLC and infinite patches (as opposed to actually finishing the game the first time) taking hold of the current gaming market.

Ubisoft is King Bullshit

Wow that's pretty ridiculous. Wonder if people will start suing over shit like this. Release a demo with unreal graphics then release the actual game with castrated, degraded graphics that barely resemble the demo. Isn't that false advertising? As long as the game is good I'll still probably buy it but I'd still rather it be those superb graphics that were in the demo.

Holy shit, the hype machine for this game as faded FAST. Woohoo, Ubi! I look forward to playing this after my next Steam $2.79 sale ($4.99 for the game + all the bullshit DLC).

Didn't Dark Soul 2 did the same thing?

Oh well, console again....

It doubt it's even a console thing... The developers could of easily included sliders/various settings for detail and such between playforms. My guess is that the game would of been way too demanding, trying to render so much detail, even with current 'high end' PC gaming hardware if it shipped as the E3 demo portrayed. Even with the game in it's released state, many high end rigs have trouble maintaining 60fps, averaging in the 40-50 FPS range. Vastly increasing the number of shaders and poly's would of only made it that much worse, sadly (and they would of been raked over the coals for how shitty it performed).

Crytek did the same thing with their Crysis tech demo. It looked a lot better than the final product and that game was PC only (at the time) and was intended to 'set the bar'.

With all that said... if it's fun, then who really cares? Seems sort of dumb to get all upset about IMO. In all my years of playing video games, I don't think I've EVER played anything that looked better than the advertising portrayed.

Wow that's pretty ridiculous. Wonder if people will start suing over shit like this.

I'm definitely going to sue, yes. Emotional cruelty barriers were violated, I've been in bed for three days. When the game was released and I saw the street wasn't as shiny and his jacket wasn't as wavy, I was a depressed little zoloft lump and couldn't even hit the screen.

I'm convinced that all early development cycles have a "pretend you're developing for a super computer and do whatever the fuck you want" phase. The question is why, considering the inevitable backlash.

That's what happens when you let Tea Baggers lie to you. It's all about being promised a Ferrari and getting a 1969 VW Beatle. Fucking greedy corporate whore bean counters raping us for short term profit. Disgusting! :rolleyes:

Back