Wasteland 2 devs open Kickstarter

LeninGHOLA

Vladimir Hayt
The father of Fallout, Wasteland, has a current Kickstarter project open. Many of the original devs from the original Wasteland RPG are on board.

They have promised a return to the old school. Those who remember the original should be in for a treat. Those who never got to try it should be following this one closely.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Your link doesn't work. You need to remove the "live" from it.

Good luck to these guys they're up to 265k right now.

I happily donated already, in the early morning.

I fully expect for them to hit atleast 1.5 million.

Lot of been been waiting for a game like this, that the marketing mooks reject.

They should make this on a mobile platform.

Really, I wish all these old school RPGs would be remade for the leading mobile systems...

They should make this on a mobile platform.

Really, I wish all these old school RPGs would be remade for the leading mobile systems...

At least the Infinity Engine games can/are easily put on mobile platforms. GemRB made all fo this very doable.

As far as Wasteland 2 goes, I'm glad to see PC as lead platform. I have a feeling this will actually be a worthy sequel.

Now, let's see if Obsidian takes the bait and starts their own Kickstarter (hopefully after this is funded, not to steal Fargo's fire).

I really love the Kickstarter concept... but I'm waiting for one of the fathers of the space shooter genre to get on board. I'd donate to that in a second!

Wow already at 1/3 of their goal in the first DAY.

This + Tim Schafer's kickstarter should be sending a message to publishers/developers.

I hope this allows a lot moreo smaller/indie developers to branch out an dmake games that publishers "shoot down" because tehy don't have faith in them.

Now if we could get a new Myth game out of this :(.

Wow already at 1/3 of their goal in the first DAY.

This + Tim Schafer's kickstarter should be sending a message to publishers/developers.

I hope this allows a lot moreo smaller/indie developers to branch out an dmake games that publishers "shoot down" because tehy don't have faith in them.

Now if we could get a new Myth game out of this :(.

I don't really know that this would work for smaller indie developers. Its a risk that I don't mind taking with established developers with a good track record but I would have a hard time taking the gamble on some almost no name indie developer. Look at Natural Selection 2, how long ago did they start taking pre-orders saying that the game would be released at the end of the year? Thats got to be about three years ago now.

I'm more excited for Grim Dawn than just about any other game at the moment and I can't bring myself to pre-order based on the lack of updates and eta.

UGh my wallet is taking a hit this week.

I didn't buy a single generic $60 FPS POS this year, but I'm donating $200 to Doublefine and interplay

TAKE A FUCKING HINT PUBLISHERS

I don't really know that this would work for smaller indie developers. Its a risk that I don't mind taking with established developers with a good track record but I would have a hard time taking the gamble on some almost no name indie developer. Look at Natural Selection 2, how long ago did they start taking pre-orders saying that the game would be released at the end of the year? Thats got to be about three years ago now.

I'm more excited for Grim Dawn than just about any other game at the moment and I can't bring myself to pre-order based on the lack of updates and eta.

Actually if you keep up with industry news 2011 was a slamdunk year for Indie publishers. The only disappointments have come from established AAA studios

All they would need to do is have some form of guideline and preview to show people what they are aiming for.

A lot of indie developers you'd be surprised at what they may have worked on before hand (ltos of indie developers have came from great past developers/stuidos) and probably worked on games you've known.

They would simply need to pitch it asthey would to a publisher, Usually have some type of early concept gameplay, a guideline of their goals, etc.

Throw that on kickstarter to see if people are interested, set a goal where you can get your team and make it, if people want it you make it, if they don't you loes nothing, the same as shopping around traditional publishers, except without the hassles of losing creative control/deadlines, etc.

What his can set for gaming blows the doors wide open.

I mean think about it, ALL of us would probably love to see more space sims (A la X-wing, Freespace, etc). Well now developers out there can have a way to shop that game directly to players, and if we want it they can have us, the fans, directly fund it without having to rely on publishers to decide for US if "we" want it or not.

This puts a LOT more of games in control of the developer>fans, rather then the publishers controlling it and telling the developers what the "fans" want/dont' want.

Awesome, though I never heard of Wasteland before. (negative internet points for me?)

Halfway point and the kickstarter is only part of a day old. Looks like we are getting a Wasteland 2!

Graphically that looks awesome! But from their comments it sounds like they are taking the project a different route if they are still working on it at all. Also, multiplayer only is a drag. It was the singleplayer that hooked me on Tie Fighter and Freespace.

I would hope it is more simulator than shooter. But I think the project is dead - but like I said, maybe if they started a Kickstater, some money to help fund them might help them release something. Clearly they have done a decent amount of work on the game already.

If they can release an MP game, then they can always use the profits for an SP game/expansion.

Sorry for going off topic.

You know I really feel like interplay got a bum deal on the Fallout MMO

Depends, if you are under 30 you can be forgiven for not knowing the awesome goodness that is Wasteland. :p

Guess I can't be forgiven then. I think I was playing flight simulators and Commander Keen somewhere around then. I was late to the game with Baldur's Gate 2 being my first RPG.

This is freaken sweet! Brian Fargo is awesome! ......And Mark Morgan is doing music...wow....
LOL "There was a Fallout 1 & 2?".

pretty much.

Thank you OP this is awesome news!

30 dollar pledge.

Last edited:
They've got my money! I'm going to be up to my ears in kickstarter video games in 18 months.

UGh my wallet is taking a hit this week.

I didn't buy a single generic $60 FPS POS this year, but I'm donating $200 to Doublefine and interplay

TAKE A FUCKING HINT PUBLISHERS
That makes two of us :p

Actually if you keep up with industry news 2011 was a slamdunk year for Indie publishers. The only disappointments have come from established AAA studios

Yup. In the recent history, my purchase ratio of Indie to AAA games has been about 4 to 1. :cool:

Holy sheet! A new rpg which adheres to the design philosophy of some of the greatest rpg's of all time??!! Sign me up for a boxed copy!!!!

I just watched Fargo's video on kickstarter.....fucking hilarious! The first publisher scene is exactly how imagined such a meeting to turn out with some ignorant young punk in a suit derisively dismissing anything that isn't a multibillion dollar fps.

Now everyone, start harassing volition into doing a freespace 3 kickstarter project!!!!

Guys, we need to support this. I really hope this kickstarter thing takes off and good devs can tell publishers to fuck off.

$600k in the first 24 hours. Almost there already! Luckily, if they go over their goal, they use the extra money to make the game larger than would have been possible with less.

Guys, we need to support this. I really hope this kickstarter thing takes off and good devs can tell publishers to fuck off.

Word! Would be fantastic if they raised 5 to 10 million. Probably unlikely, but we can always dream right?

33 days to go and it is already at 621k O_O nice. FO1 and 2 are among my all-time favorites. just recently started another playthrough of FO2 and it did not lose it's charme and immersion.

Count me in on this too. I haven't thought about some of those games in years...brought back memories of playing Bard's Tale with a friend, one of us on the C64 controlling our party of monks and the other mapping the world with graph paper as we explored.

I was a toddler when this game came out so I never played it...but it LOOKS sweet, and I love Fallout 1 and 2. I'll definitely throw a donation their way. If only I could afford a donation worthy of getting to be an NPC.....I'm going to start a kickstater to afford my own kickstarter donation.

They had me at Brian Fargo...

They had me at Faran Brygo... :p

WASTELAND is hands-down my all-time-favorite rpg ever! It is right up there on my all-time-favorite video game list as well and may actually be #1... I have to ponder that a little more.

I was excited to hear this news, especially when Brian said it was going to be a turn-based, party-based, top-down rpg like the original.

I have such fond memories of conquering the Citadel for the first time, or rebuilding Max in the sewers under the Mushroom Temple, or discovering the cloning facility and cloning my pc's... perma death... hardcore rpg for the ages!

I still have my original game with packaging on 5 1/4" floppies with the paragraph book.

Back