Was Eyefinity/Surround a fad?

As far as getting past the black gaps (monitor bezels) your mind does begin to ignore them in a similar way that your mind ignores your nose. Even right now as your reading this post your big ass nose is sticking itself into your peripheral vision but you weren't noticing it until I pointed it out.

+1

Bezels bothered me for all of a day or two........true gamers can't see them ;)

Just finished doing my poor man's 3 screen because of this damn thread. I should make the OP send me 3 matching screens and none can be CRT like one of the 3 I had to use. Man that 3 screen was wonderful in those racing games. A total blast. Love seeing the turns way ahead of time instead of when it's right in front of you. I GOTTA GET 3 SCREEN SOMEHOW!

I use my eyefinity setup to it's full extent every day. Some games have issues, most have user-made patches. I build gaming rigs every day, and I'm seeing surround gaming becoming MORE popular, not going away.

I've also never heard a single person who has spent more than a few hours playing games on an eyefinity/surround setup complain about bezels.

I think a lot of non-surround monitors users see a setup rig of one and foucs about the bezels without actually trying it in person. Seeing a picture of it, watching a video of it, watching someone else play it while not in the drivers seat is completely different from playing it in person.

It's great for WoW because of the adjustable UI. I Mod wow up and move all my non-combat content off to the extra screens so my main screen such as chat bars, damage meters, non-combat actions (hearthstone, professions, ect).

Eyefinity user for 3 years,
I won't go back to singles. A friend of mine had me try out his new computer with a single 27" monitor and I honestly really disliked it. I felt like I had horse blinders on/tunnel vision now (uncomfortable).

I had become too accustomed eyefinity, and now everything else is lacking.

I have been running 3 X Asus 24" LCD's ever since eyefinity existed. I have a projector and a 50" 3D plasma but nothing compares to playing a game in eyefinity. If the game doesn't support it I don't bother playing it. Gaming on 1 screen feels like I have tunnel vision. Even just doing day to day computing I find i use all 3 screens.

I'm a fan of my NVSurround setup for day to day use, but I find that I rarely use it for gaming due to driver bugs and shoddy support in most games, and in the rare case that the game does work in Surround, then it's predominantly due to UI issues with most games.

In the end though, I was able to get my three screens for a hell of a lot less than one 30" monitor, which is a steal. I just wish nVidia would get off their ass and fix these performance issues.

Yeah, you're completely right, but when I could get a game to work I'd be more likely to finish the game rather then quit after a day. Eyefinity/surround isnt for the normal enthusiast who is angered by poor support. I personally liked when a game had minor issues that needed to be resolved either by editing ini files, hex editing executables, using shortcut commands, or force injection (thats where the fun stops). Sometimes its as simple as spoofing an nvidia card to boost your fps, but other times it can be nearly unplayable in eyefinity (Witcher 2 IMO. =/)

All and all, I might be ok with a 2500 x 1600 monitor, but i'd prefer a 5000+ horizontal res.

I don't use any of the surround setups mostly because they give me a nauseating sensation =/ I do like massive 30inch monitors with secondary and tertiary screens though = )

It seems that anyone that does not have, or can not afford, or does not like a different technology places it in a 'fad' category. Not every new technology is for everybody and different games lend themselves to different technologies. There is also the different uses for the differing technologies. Eyefinity and surround is not just for games, but also productivity. Also the same game can be played on different technologies giving it a different feel and therefore practically making it a new game. I have an Eyefinity setup and a S3D setup with a monitor and a projector. I will be receiving a 2560*1440 Monitor on Tuesday. Having played Crysis 2 in S3D on a monitor and projector, Eyefinity, I will now play it on a large screen high resolution monitor. ALL technologies are bound to be replaced by new technologies I do not see this as making them 'fads'. They are instead stepping stones to new and better technologies. Not either/or but also/and in my opinion.

I bought into Eyefinity when I had two 5850's only to find the experience terrible. Back then, one card was smooth, but Crossfire + Eyefinity was a stuttery nightmare. Adding insult to injury, the $100 active DP adapter would often flake out in the middle of a game. I also bought the dumbest monitors in the world to pair with it, as I was fooled by the early LED hype (Samsung PX2370, ugly TN panels). At least they were thin.

I tried to redeem the setup when the 6950's launched. Went with crossfire again and was pleased to see it work smoothly. Except now, the damn tearing on the third monitor (driven off the active adapter) began to drive me crazy. That and my fixed landscape monitors resulted in massive fisheye on the side screens, doing nothing for immersion. So I gave away the monitors I had spent 900 dollars on to family members, threw the hundred dollar adapter in the closet, and swore off multi-screen gaming.

Except I was drawn in again. I was happily married to a single U3011 when Eyefinity 2.0 gave a glimmer of hope for mixed resolution gaming. PLP with a 16:10 screen in the center would be the perfect setup! So I bought a bundle of refurbished 2007FP's (eventually had six of them) and picked up a 7970. The 7970 turned out to be defective, Eyefinity 2.0 doesn't support mixed orientation, and I sold two IPS 2007FP monitors for about 20 bucks in my pocket after Fedex royally F'ed me on shipping (long story).

It might sound like a rant, but I spent well over $1300 trying to enjoy Eyefinity and just never did. I'm far happier with the $1100 30 inch monitor I replaced the setup with. Maybe someday PLP will be a reality for gaming and the screens will be more than desk ornaments. Until then, my personal opinion is to just buy the largest, highest quality single monitor you can afford.

Sounds like the bulk of your problem was related to your choice of ATI/AMD hardware and some misinformation of the possibility of PLP in Eyefinity - NV hardware, including the 2xx series, never suffered from the stutter issue in Surround the 5xxx series was notorious for in Eyefinity

(As an observation, not meaning to come across as a fanboi).

Sounds like the bulk of your problem was related to your choice of ATI/AMD hardware and some misinformation of the possibility of PLP in Eyefinity - NV hardware, including the 2xx series, never suffered from the stutter issue in Surround the 5xxx series was notorious for in Eyefinity

(As an observation, not meaning to come across as a fanboi).

That's quite possible. I already had the 5850's and Eyefinity was initially exclusive to them (barring things like the triplehead). I went with the 6950's as they seemed to offer the greatest value with their 2GB of VRAM and ability to be unlocked. Being an early adopter didn't really pay off with the 5 series, but I continue to enjoy the remaining 6950 in my spare machine.

That said, I don't want to lay all the blame for my lack of enjoyment on technical issues. I used the three PX2370's in LLL and had a temporary 2007FP setup of both PPP and LLL. In all three cases, the effect came off as a gimmick. The side screens produced too much of a fisheye effect (I know this is intended) and the bezels were annoying. The only technical fault I really had at this point was tearing on the third screen.

The only case where I ever enjoyed multi-monitor gaming was the PLP setup. I had to use windowed mode, but games like Just Cause 2 were much better. The 20-30-20 setup created a reasonable aspect ratio and pushed the bezels away from all the action, creating a peripheral effect that was actually enjoyable. Others in this thread echo the same sentiment. I'll keep this PLP setup around until it breaks (hence my pile of spare 20 inch screens) as it is awesome for productivity.

Overall, I wouldn't call it a fad. I also wouldn't suggest it to any of my friends. I personally enjoy one large screen for gaming. It just works. If I had the ability and resources to create some of those amazing debezeled setups my mind might change. Those setups, however, are solidly in the realm of enthusiasts at this time.

jolli
I bought into Eyefinity when I had two 5850's only to find the experience terrible. Back then, one card was smooth, but Crossfire + Eyefinity was a stuttery nightmare. Adding insult to injury, the $100 active DP adapter would often flake out in the middle of a game.

I used the cheap $30 active adapter and had a seamless, trouble free experience. Maybe the ASUS cards I had (2GB 5870's)were better tweaked for the Eyefinity6 experience.

It is interesting how we also expect computer technology to be totally trouble free in whatever configuration we use. We need to consider all of the variations that drivers have to address in the different configurations a computer may take on. If you want something that is pretty much totally pre-digested go with a MAC. They have fewer problems AND fewer technological offerings. On the PC side yes there is a "Let the buyer beware" mentality but we are offered more choices. Show me the number of games on a MAC compared to a PC. What is the cost of a MAC to a comparable PC. I look at it as the cup being half full rather than the PC technology cup being half empty. It will always be like that because of the new technology being introduced.

I agree that a number of these technologies are for enthusiast and that is who they are marketed to. How many people in the general public need more than 1 screen? Two screens would probably be overkill for more than 95% of the population. Three screens!!!, this is the enthusiast area or people that are financial traders(that is what I do). I just setup my twin daughter's laptops with a second screen in their dorm. They did not think they needed them until I showed them what they could do with them. Three screens for them would be ludicrous on a laptop or a desktop and so it is with most people, two screens are usually just not needed. All that to say this. Surround and Eyefinity IS an enthusiast technology and we are on a website in a forum that caters to "enthusiast". I am just thankful for the choices I can try out and choose what I like and let others choose what they like. For some it is worth the tinkering.

Been using eyefinity since 6000 series came out with many different cards/monitors and it has been frustrating at times but worth it in the end. I've been seeing more and more people get into multi monitor gaming, sure seems like it's growing.

Its not a fad, but rather a niche segment. The biggest barrier is the cost, not just for the additional monitors, but also need for high performance graphic card to handle the additional 3d rendering workload. Most gamers are already having a hard time trying to justify a single high end graphic card. As performance gets cheaper in time, we'll continue to see more gamers adopting it.

Cost aside, I'm sure most gamers who are able to play any games with a first person perspective would be blown away by the experience.

I bought into Eyefinity/Surround and have tried it on both Nvidia and AMD setups. I can honestly say at first I thought it was very good and swore I would never change. The problem was I was assuming that at some point the developers of games would start to work with triple screen setups in mind. Boy was I wrong, almost 2 years later and massive fish eye distortion with stretched HUDS was still the standard.

I sold 2 of my 22" monitors and put the rest to a U3011 monitor about a year ago and have been enjoying hi-res large single screen gaming ever since. IMHO there is simply no comparison. Large single screen all the way, a single 2560x1440 monitor will set you back less money, you will need less GPU power to run it and it looks better without extreme fish eye effect.

I used to play on a 40inch tv...
now i play on 3x22inch monitors

but i think the sweet spot is 3x24 inch monitors.

It's nice if you have the space. I had a chance to try it at my local karting track a few months back between races. They had rFactor going and I swear, after the first lap you forget about the monitor lines. The thing I'm really excited about though is Oculus..

Last edited:
I had an Eyefinity setup for a while, unfortunately I really don't have the space for it right now.

Someday I will have an EF or Surround setup again, it's freakin' sweet!

I personally have 3x 24" BenQ monitors running off a 6950 2GB.
Some games will not run smoothly at 6k by 1k resolution, but will give you a decent gaming experience.
As far as GUI issues go, you can always check wsgf.org .
Eyefinity helps me with my work also, as i need multiple screens to stop alt tabbing all the time :)

ive only recently gotten into NV surround and love it but would love it even more on three larger monitors such as 30" as i am currently playing on 3 x 24"

if i am sik of playing on my surround i can alway plug my system into my 70" tv with my $11k AUD surround sound system.

my single 670 can run 3 monitors on its own right?

im thinking it might be smarter to get SLI 670s before getting 2 more monitors?

not sure though.

it sounds like you can run most games with high detail just no anti aliasing.

how necessary is AA at 5760x1200 ?

i run 3 monitors on my 5870 just fine in most games, but then again i'm not that big on having to have max AA turned up either..

for me resolution is always king

i run 3 monitors on my 5870 just fine in most games, but then again i'm not that big on having to have max AA turned up either..

for me resolution is always king

i feel like it might not be necessary with the resolution so high. damn. we'll see. 2 more u2412m would be pretty much 600$ hahaha i can swing it though soon

my single 670 can run 3 monitors on its own right?

im thinking it might be smarter to get SLI 670s before getting 2 more monitors?

not sure though.

it sounds like you can run most games with high detail just no anti aliasing.

how necessary is AA at 5760x1200 ?

I don't use AA with most games at 5760x1080 on my three 24" displays and I don't mind it... it's a very subjective thing though. my 470s have done remarkably well over the years pushing this res but I can only run AA on older games. yeah I think it's time for a gpu upgrade soonish here. :p

I much prefer Eyefinity / NV Surround enabled titles. It really pisses me off when games don't work right with these setups.

it all depends on the games you play.

Unfortunately, I forgot about GW2 and Borderlands 2 this last spring when I sold my eyefinity setup.
I really do love my korean 27" LCD, the picture quality is great.

I disliked having to tweak games to change the FOV. That & I had only used the setup to play Skyrim & Borderlands 1 for a bit.

Oh well. Now I have more deskspace.

I dont really consider it a fad, but more of a niche product brought about by the reality of market conditions.

I would much rather have a high resolution single large display. But so far no one makes such a thing. It could be because yields on such displays are too low to make the cost effective I dont know. It could also be just that its much easier to sell people 3 smaller monitors. Then you have the whole issue of the fact that LCDs suck so people are forced to buy different LCDs for different tasks.

Not a fad but a niche market because of cost. If everyone could do it they would. Once I went multi-monitor I could never go back. Its like going from IMAX to a 32" TV. Massive difference in immersion.

Until the video card companies get 20-30-20 working out of the box...I'm not interested.
I did the triple 22 setup and it was too small. I rather have the largest center display possible.

do you have pics of your setup?

Haven't taken many pics but here's one from a couple months back.

Diablo 3

It's hard to do the config justice in a picture but it's pretty awesome for anything 1st person. As you can see, 3rd person isometric is pretty good too :)

pretty slick sheeot, mang. :D

PS: the bezels never really bugged me but the lack of them there is awesome.

pretty slick sheeot, mang. :D

PS: the bezels never really bugged me but the lack of them there is awesome.

agreed i dont think they would bug me... but honestly when they arent there omg it does make it look sexy.

eventually bezels wont exist at all. with OLED coming this way to the consumer market in the next 5 years.. you will have 5760 resolution that just all blends into each other... gonna be awesome.

It's not a fad. The software is slowly catching up with what's possible with todays gpu hardware. More thin bezzeled monitors will hit the street. Once you go multimonitor there's no way back.

I had an 5760x1080 setup for quite some time, since pretty much the release of the original 5870 (bought 3 Dell monitors off the outlet). For the first 6 months they were in portrait, and then I flipped them back.

I really enjoyed the real estate, but I ended up playing pretty much everything in a window anyway... I've come to realize I'm one of those people who wants to be able to have multiple things open while playing a game. There's almost no reason I would ever want a fullscreen application to run fullscreen - I don't want to give up easy access to a thousand other things. And for me, the 'surround' experience doesn't outweigh that cost.

So the plan for my new machine is a Korean 27", and a cheap secondary for browsing/music/streaming/irc/etc. I'll still run everything in a window though ^^.

-HD

Edit: Bezels were such a non-problem I didn't even mention them... after two weeks in both portait and landscape mode they were easily ignorable. In three months they were invisible.

You haven't seen the best setups then :) I love my 3 projector rig. 3840x800 resolution, 120Hz, no black bars and individual pixels are .6mm x .6mm so at my viewing distance of 5ft it's pretty awesome. I think the only thing that I'd replace my setup with would be something like the Oculus Rift.

:eek:

That sounds AWESOME!

I bought into Eyefinity/Surround and have tried it on both Nvidia and AMD setups. I can honestly say at first I thought it was very good and swore I would never change. The problem was I was assuming that at some point the developers of games would start to work with triple screen setups in mind. Boy was I wrong, almost 2 years later and massive fish eye distortion with stretched HUDS was still the standard.

I sold 2 of my 22" monitors and put the rest to a U3011 monitor about a year ago and have been enjoying hi-res large single screen gaming ever since. IMHO there is simply no comparison. Large single screen all the way, a single 2560x1440 monitor will set you back less money, you will need less GPU power to run it and it looks better without extreme fish eye effect.

Yes, the problem with "only playing Eyefinity/Surround games"...is that you end up not playing a lot of games because they don't work properly and you just can't bring yourself to use only one of your monitors to play.

I had a triple-monitor setup from the launch of the 5870 until a couple of months ago, and the only reason I switched back was because I was able to get a 2560x1440 monitor for so cheap. Anything below that resolution I would have considered a downgrade.

For productivity, Eyefinity/Surround is the best; it's awesome just to have all that screen real estate. For general gaming (I.E. you don't just play FSX and racing games), the support has barely grown and you spend just as much if not more time making the games work properly than playing them. There's also the issue of always needing to upgrade your hardware if you want 60 FPS with the newer games and are a stickler for quality. Honestly it's been quite nice not worrying about whether the devs will take the time to add proper aspect ratios to games, fix their menus, or anything else that ruins the Eyefinity/Surround experience.

For me this question is almost tantamount to asking if having peripheral vision is a fad. Obviously, the answer to that question is no. There is something very enthralling about having the terrain of your game passing across not only your immediate field of vision, but also past your peripheral vision as well. No single flat screen can duplicate this effect because reality isn't on a single plane in front of your face when you're out in the real world. Therefore, my answer is no, eyefinity/surround is emphatically NOT a fad.

I could never go back to using a single monitor for gaming with most of my favourite game types, no matter how large.

Back