Warning: Windows 10 May Auto-Install On Your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen+Shot+2016-04-28+at+9.23.11+AM.png

Windows 10 update message interrupts live weather report

yer... its not pushy at all...

Blame their IT department since they are the ones to setup this machine. Oh well, logic and common sense go out the Windows when Microsoft is mentioned. :D
Not every company has an IT department, some just get the most technical person do be the "onsite" IT. They may have initially had a 3 party come in and set everything up but doesn't mean they support it. So just buy having automatic updates on and getting the stupid KB5583 update screws you until you remove it. Why should it constantly pop up like that saying "Hey install me!!! its free!"

Running insider build 14332 atm myself on the main, was surprised they put out two that close together.

Blame their IT department since they are the ones to setup this machine. Oh well, logic and common sense go out the Windows when Microsoft is mentioned. :D

Oh for fucks sake, how much evidence do you need to see that Microsoft's aggressive update procedure is causing problems for people?

Take your PR bullshit elsewhere. We're sick of it. This product sucks.

Horseshit. Microsoft being desperate to peddle a new version of Windows does not create in IT departments a sense of obligation, or shared burden.

When people have to look over their shoulder for trojan and ambush tactics by the platform holder, there's a problem.

Last edited:
How much is M$ paying you to shill their PR nonsense? Windows is hooked into the NSA mainframe, the Gibson AND reports you to the MPAA! Micro$haft Window$ is pure $pyware!

But seriously, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that video. Their IT dept., "computer guy" or whatever should have simply deployed or configured a group policy to prevent automatic downloading and prompting to install updates.

Let's hear the excuses...

First a obnoxious upgrade shown during a live weather broadcast dismissed by the shills as "the IT dept should have stopped that" without actually seeing the reference wasn't so much this instance but that MS is pushy...

What's the sheeples excuse now?
Windows 10 updates are now ruining pro-gaming streams

That gamers should be playing on an Xbox?

Face it win10 upgrade is pushy as hell, overly pushy

Not only that this is definite proof it will self install and NOT as some sheeples proclaimed user error...

But seriously, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that video. Their IT dept., "computer guy" or whatever should have simply deployed or configured a group policy to prevent automatic downloading and prompting to install updates.

Laughable. Microsoft's desperation to peddle a new Windows version is NOT the burden or responsibility of IT Departments to have to deal with. They didn't ask for that. Nobody did.

Microsoft Auto-Scheduling Windows 10 Updates

Windows 10 has been with us for a little over eight months now, which means there are only about four months remaining to get a free upgrade from an older Windows operating system. As the clock counts down, Microsoft has begun to auto-schedule PCs to upgrade to Windows 10 with or without consent from end users.

so what is the shills defense this is an end-user issue now?

Last edited:

Don't really have one, honestly. They weren't showing this box before, it was a different box that didn't result in auto-scheduling. Now they are doing it.

Well, there's now an option to cancel the scheduled upgrade. If you look at the dialog box in the article...

It says "click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade."

Also, you can revert to Windows 7 within 31 days if you don't like Windows 10.

Are they pushing it as hard as they can? Yes. Are they forcing people to upgrade? No.

The argument before was that it was installing automatically and not even telling you that it was scheduled. Of course, the ethics of auto-scheduling an upgrade are themselves debatable, but it's a new argument.

I will say I find it questionable, though. A lot of computers are running Windows 7 on something like a full-screen POS system where it's possible someone wouldn't see this dialog in time. Not to mention file servers, media servers, and other headless systems that might not be administered on a regular basis.

But as long as the user has a chance to see the dialog, read everything carefully, interact with it, and make a choice... then it's fair. The problem is that there's no guarantee of this with a scheduled update. If someone never sees this dialog and their system updates, Microsoft could be legally liable for that. Software installation involves the acceptance of a new EULA by the user for a reason. Clearly, whoever decided on this didn't consult the legal department. I definitely see the potential for a class action lawsuit here.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft... you guys just had to go out of your way to make me look even more like a fool than I looked after being wrong on some other threads, and prove the Windows 7-on-a-new-computer crowd right before this whole debate died down, didn't you?

Last edited:

Windows 10 has been with us for a little over eight months now, which means there are only about four months remaining to get a free upgrade from an older Windows operating system. As the clock counts down, Microsoft has begun to auto-schedule PCs to upgrade to Windows 10 with or without consent from end users.

Now this one I will agree is 100% bullshit from MS if it is happening. i maintain that previous to this, it was in fact user error that caused it to be installed before. As i've asid in the past, I have 2 win10 machines and my primary remains Win 7 with auto updates configured. To date it hasn't attempted to auto install a single time and I'm riding it out to see if it ever does. However if something like this pops up, I'll absolutely be in the camp of calling this a bullshit move that MS should get sued over.

Also as an aside to the earlier comments on the IT and the news thing. As someone who has been IT for the past 20 something years, we don't ask for lots of things. That however doesn't change the fact that it is our job. Blame for that falls squarely on whoever was in charge of policy for not dealing with that. That statement doesn't mean MS isn't being overly pushy with the update, but it likewise doesn't mean someone didn't fail to do their job.

Blaming the average "IT guy" for not stopping every attempt from Microsoft to force an upgrade is a bit unfair - especially given how often Microsoft has changed things, added new updates and policies, etc. You would spent a lot of time just focusing on that.

I don't know, why don't you tell us?

Blaming the average "IT guy" for not stopping every attempt from Microsoft to force an upgrade is a bit unfair - especially given how often Microsoft has changed things, added new updates and policies, etc. You would spent a lot of time just focusing on that.

Sorry I don't agree with this. Stopping the popup from randomly happening should be a trivial matter for any IT person not trash at their job. There is a monumental difference in how PC's operate in a domain vs not in a domain. If random things are happening on domain machines, that fault lies squarely with IT. If machines used in a position like the one used in this new cast are not part of a domain, that also puts blame squarely on IT. Either way though, I do agree MS has handled this upgrade prompt thing exceptionally poorly. They have in fact been way too pushy with it and about the time I didn't think they could top themselves for badly done launches after Win 8, they quickly proved me wrong with some of the absolutely absurd shit they have done with 10.

Sorry I don't agree with this. Stopping the popup from randomly happening should be a trivial matter for any IT person not trash at their job. There is a monumental difference in how PC's operate in a domain vs not in a domain. If random things are happening on domain machines, that fault lies squarely with IT. If machines used in a position like the one used in this new cast are not part of a domain, that also puts blame squarely on IT. Either way though, I do agree MS has handled this upgrade prompt thing exceptionally poorly. They have in fact been way too pushy with it and about the time I didn't think they could top themselves for badly done launches after Win 8, they quickly proved me wrong with some of the absolutely absurd shit they have done with 10.
Sometimes it isn't that simple.

As an "IT guy" I have zero access to group policy and the domain servers. I'm break-fix. I have domain admin insofar as I can install stuff and add machines to the domain. However, I can't do anything about blocking updates.

Would I if I had access to group policy? Yes, I would (even though we are actually manually updating all the teacher laptops to Win10 because Win8.1 is a flaming turd).

My IT Director is the only one with access to group policy. Do I think that a single person in the organization should have access? No. I think his assistant should as well. However, I'm just an "IT guy".

Sometimes it isn't that simple.

As an "IT guy" I have zero access to group policy and the domain servers. I'm break-fix. I have domain admin insofar as I can install stuff and add machines to the domain. However, I can't do anything about blocking updates.

Would I if I had access to group policy? Yes, I would (even though we are actually manually updating all the teacher laptops to Win10 because Win8.1 is a flaming turd).

My IT Director is the only one with access to group policy. Do I think that a single person in the organization should have access? No. I think his assistant should as well. However, I'm just an "IT guy".

Doesn't change my point. You don't have that level of access, so you obviously aren't responsible and can't fix it. However the person who does have those rights in your case the Director would be responsible. If this were happening on his watch as an example, that would make him responsible.

Wow. Its not Microsofts fault for spamming people with upgrade now bullshit, its ITS fault for not stopping it. That might make sense IF Microsoft told people in advance what they were doing and didn't stop putting details on their KB/updates.

Microsoft would *never* put out a KB that is involved with W10 upgrade nonsense and "forget" to tell IT Admin folks what the KB is for. NEVER!

Saw this on my HTPC yesterday... pushy motherfuckers.

Honestly, I have never seen a case of Windows 10 automatically installing itself that wasn't user error. Have any of you? I hate the fact that I am one of the millions that upgraded to Windows 10 just to stop the nagging, but I don't buy the whole "Windows 10 magically auto-installed itself on my PC" thing.

That 15-minute warning/opt-out prompt usually steals focus from whatever you’re doing, by the way, but every once in a while it might be not be able to minimise a game, you might click away by mistake or a bunch of other things which mean you simply don’t see it. And then bam, a sudden restart and Windows 10 starts installing. I.e. while Microsoft might argue everyone gets fair warning and the chance to decline the upgrade, the reality is that this can go wrong.

Exactly this. Always user error.

Wow. Its not Microsofts fault for spamming people with upgrade now bullshit, its ITS fault for not stopping it. That might make sense IF Microsoft told people in advance what they were doing and didn't stop putting details on their KB/updates.

Microsoft would *never* put out a KB that is involved with W10 upgrade nonsense and "forget" to tell IT Admin folks what the KB is for. NEVER!

The point apparently went right over your head.

Doesn't change my point. You don't have that level of access, so you obviously aren't responsible and can't fix it. However the person who does have those rights in your case the Director would be responsible. If this were happening on his watch as an example, that would make him responsible.

Is it hard to grasp that IT Departments should not have to be on the defense or having to look over their shoulders for rogue auto install bullshit that puts their business at risk by introducing potential incompatibility issues, or have to devote resources to blocking shit just because Microsoft is desperate to market a new version of Windows?

This really isn't a hard think concept. There should be no auto updating of Pro and Enterprise SKU's period, including Malware 10 ever auto installing itself on 7 or 8.1 machines. How is this even an argument?

Last edited:
Is it hard to grasp that IT Departments should not have to be on the defense or having to look over their shoulders for rogue auto install bullshit that puts their business at risk by introducing potential incompatibility issues, or have to devote resources to blocking shit just because Microsoft is desperate to market a new version of Windows?

This really isn't a hard think concept. There should be no auto updating of Pro and Enterprise SKU's period, including Malware 10 ever auto installing itself on 7 or 8.1 machines. How is this even an argument?
To play devil's advocate, a competent IT department SHOULD still be on top of this the same way they should protect against viruses or malware also. That said, pretty much everyone except ManofGod thinks this SHOULDN'T be happening and it's bullshit that IT should have to deal with this issue in the first place because it's invasive to the point of acting similar to malware and being counter-productive for many people. It's just a terrible practice.

Proof please? I do not buy into it just because someone says so but, then again, I do not just simply buy into what the press reports as truth.
Hey speaking of not buying into something just because of what someone says, have you EVER criticized Microsoft for ANYTHING in these forums? You can post a link. It would go a long way towards dispelling your MS shill perception.

To play devil's advocate, a competent IT department SHOULD still be on top of this the same way they should protect against viruses or malware also. That said, pretty much everyone except ManofGod thinks this SHOULDN'T be happening and it's bullshit that IT should have to deal with this issue in the first place because it's invasive to the point of acting similar to malware and being counter-productive for many people. It's just a terrible practice.

Hey speaking of not buying into something just because of what someone says, have you EVER criticized Microsoft for ANYTHING in these forums? You can post a link. It would go a long way towards dispelling your MS shill perception.

More to the point, do I ever criticize any company at all? I must be a shill for all companies than. Sorry but, I do not think it is worth whining and complaining which is what most folks end up doing. Please show me where I criticize Linux, Mac OS, Google Chrome OS or any version of Windows either? If I am going to complain, I will do so direct to the source because, folks around here do not have the ability to make any change.

Oh, also, show me where I said I think this should be happening please? You clearly will not find that but I dare you, go ahead? Accusations without proof is of no value at all. Feel free to accuse me of anything you want but, I am old enough now that I could not care any less what others think. Feel free to get all bent out of shape but I am done with that and was a long time ago. :)

Edit: have you EVER criticized "Insert Company" for ANYTHING in these forums? (Fixed that for you.)

I am of the opinion that the Windows 10 upgrade notifications / pop-ups have been extremely poorly handled by MS.

However, I still don't 100% believe that Windows 10 upgrades are happening without ANY user input whatsoever. So far in every instance I've seen of the "spontaneous" upgrade, there has been either obvious or very likely user interaction in some way.

Usually that interaction is accidental and (due to above point about poorly-handled notifications) difficult to prevent for a normal user, they still clicked "OK" somewhere.

My wifes computer auto upgraded, she wasnt even in the room and when she came back in was halfway done...

It tried to schedule my Win10 upgrade automatically with no option to cancel, only delay 5min/15min/4hours. Clicked install now then declined the TOS, seems to have only delayed it.

More to the point, do I ever criticize any company at all? I must be a shill for all companies than. Sorry but, I do not think it is worth whining and complaining which is what most folks end up doing. Please show me where I criticize Linux, Mac OS, Google Chrome OS or any version of Windows either? If I am going to complain, I will do so direct to the source because, folks around here do not have the ability to make any change.
Fine, here's a quick one I grabbed from a search:

"How about this: There are billions of Windows computer users that disagree with Linux being a good Desktop OS."

I'm not disagreeing with you there, I think Linux has a long way to go on that front. But you're right, you made me realize that your style isn't so much to criticize other companies, so much as to mock anyone who criticizes anything Microsoft.

Oh, also, show me where I said I think this should be happening please? You clearly will not find that but I dare you, go ahead?
Before I post a bunch of quotes, I feel like we should clarify what we're talking about. I've you seen you aggressively defend Microsoft in pretty much every thread I've seen related to it. That tends to imply you agree with their decisions. Is that what you're referring to?

Edit: have you EVER criticized "Insert Company" for ANYTHING in these forums? (Fixed that for you.)
It's not you never criticizing a company by itself that makes you look like a shill. The difference is I've seen you defend Microsoft on poor Xbox practices, Windows 10 problems, UWP, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting I want to say at least 30 times just from browsing general threads. You are amazingly consistent in that if there's ever a thread where somebody criticizes a decision Microsoft makes, you'll mock them one way or another. If I were to defend a company every time under any scenario, yeah, I could see where I'm being perceived as a shill, because it's almost zealot-like behavior then. For example, I've never criticized nor praised Samsung, because I don't know a lot about the company. However if every time there was a thread related to Samsung involved with anything, I mocked people criticizing them every single time, yeah, that would look like I have some sort of agenda.

But hey, let's not mince words. You're skeptical of just how intrusive the Windows 10 push ads are, fine. Let's assume for the sake of argument, they ARE exactly as invasive as it's being reported. Would you condone that practice? Or for that matter has Microsoft ever made a decision you strongly disagreed with? If so, what was it?

You're skeptical of just how intrusive the Windows 10 push ads are, fine.

Not skeptical of the whole thing but, skeptical of what I posted about as being extremely unlikely. I have to see proof of something like that because, as you well know, FUD is typically the order of the day around these parts. As for the rest of the post, I will have to comment on it later. Oh, and I only tend to mock certain folks based upon what they tend to, in my opinion, post as incendiary or constantly bashing comments. I do not tend to see what most post against Microsoft as criticism but just plain FUD.

Basically, I try to enjoy things as they are, not as I wish they might be. (At least as far as computers go, that does make me a lot better at the profession than I once was before I decided to just enjoy them for what they are.)

Edit: Oh, and I am not pleased with them "killing" off the Windows Phone platform, at least in the short term. However, it does not help that, at least in the USA, the biggest service provider, which is Verizon, will not even let the Windows Phones be used on their network no matter what. Now that is how a monopoly actual acts.

Basically, I try to enjoy things as they are, not as I wish they might be. (At least as far as computers go, that does make me a lot better at the profession than I once was before I decided to just enjoy them for what they are.)
Well, that's fair enough. I'm that way with many things, but I see software as something much more malleable. I admit it drives me crazy when things as they are end up being WORSE than what came before (in specifics at least), so when I see defense or dismissal of that, it can get me riled up. For the record, I don't see everything MS doing as bad, just that I definitely see a "one step forward, one or more steps back" approach to many things. Windows 10 is a pretty good example:
Pros:
better DPI handling, DirectX12, small refinements
Cons:
More telemetry junk, far more invasive updating, poor UI unification, way too many anecdotal horror stories from people I actually know (not just random internet people).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back