Warmachine: Tactics

baldrik

Gawd
For the table top nerds that know the history of this thing - it looks like Privateer Press finally got tired of trying to find the right cog in the machine that is the video game industry and is going to go the Kickstarter route.

I, for one, am cautiously optimistic.

They just kicked this off about an hour ago.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409030043/warmachine-tactics

03a5302687495fe35a49d27817421a3a_large.jpg

Last edited:
It does pique my interest... will probably think on this for a while before I decide whether or not to throw in.

Hi All,

Glad you are liking what you are seeing. I am the EP at WhiteMoon Dreams and a long time [H] fan/lurker. I'll try to keep up here to answer any questions that I can and you can also get ahold of me via Facebook (Rusty Buchert) as well as twitter @RustyBuchert. We have a really solid team with our Creative Director being one of the original designers of Fallout, key members of the Ratchet and Clank team, and earlier MoHH games.

Hope I can help you out on any info you need.

Cheers

Rusty Buchert

Hi All,

Glad you are liking what you are seeing. I am the EP at WhiteMoon Dreams and a long time [H] fan/lurker. I'll try to keep up here to answer any questions that I can and you can also get ahold of me via Facebook (Rusty Buchert) as well as twitter @RustyBuchert. We have a really solid team with our Creative Director being one of the original designers of Fallout, key members of the Ratchet and Clank team, and earlier MoHH games.

Hope I can help you out on any info you need.

Cheers

Rusty Buchert

Hi Rusty.

A couple questions for you, if you don't mind.

It looks like you have a traditional grid based battlemap. Have you considered a hex based map, or are your rules designed to accommodate full range of motion and attack, including diagonal squares?

Being a D20 system, are the rules being translated to fit the gameworld, or are you aiming for a 1:1 copy of the tabletop game?

Do you feel that moving from tabletop to computer game in any way limits your options, or opens up new possibilities? And how?

Will there be a ladder based progression system for multiplayer?

Are your sculpture rewards based on current miniatures, or unique designs? I see Allison is a new character, what of the rest?

Thanks.

Hi Rusty.

A couple questions for you, if you don't mind.

It looks like you have a traditional grid based battlemap. Have you considered a hex based map, or are your rules designed to accommodate full range of motion and attack, including diagonal squares?

Being a D20 system, are the rules being translated to fit the gameworld, or are you aiming for a 1:1 copy of the tabletop game?

Do you feel that moving from tabletop to computer game in any way limits your options, or opens up new possibilities? And how?

Will there be a ladder based progression system for multiplayer?

Are your sculpture rewards based on current miniatures, or unique designs? I see Allison is a new character, what of the rest?

Thanks.

Thanks for the interest. I will try to answer as much as I can for right now.

We are using a grid based but our system will accommodate diagonal squares. But Facing at the end of movement is important.

We are not doing a 1:1 translation of the table top. We are making some adjustments to make it work well as a computer game. We are working very closely with Matt Wilson to make sure that we are doing justice to Warmachine.

I feel we will be able to do a few things that will help bring the world more to life. First we can bring the Iron Kingdoms to life in the single player campaign with a story driven experience. The fluff becomes part of the experience not just something you read. Things like the relationship between Warcasters and Warjacks and bonds developing over time based on gameplay and usage. We also hope to make it more accessible to people who have never played without crippling the way Warmachine is fundamentally played.

There will definitely be a ladder and ranking system for multiplayer.

The sculptures for the Kickstarter are unique sculpts that are all new characters in the Iron Kingdoms. They are canon and will be playable in the tabletop. The ones in the Kickstarter are limited editions. Once the kickstarter is over these will be the only run of this particular sculpt for them.

Hope this is helpful

Rusty

Congrats. That was incredibly quick.

Are you guys doing the dev work down in CA, or did you move up to WA?

Thanks! We weren't expecting it to go so fast.
WhiteMoon Dreams is based in CA. Our office is in downtown LA.

Cheers

Rusty

Now you just have to hit a few stretch goals - the game will be so much better with 4 factions instead of 2!

w00t, happy to be a part of this kickstarter!

Thanks! We weren't expecting it to go so fast.
WhiteMoon Dreams is based in CA. Our office is in downtown LA.

Cheers

Rusty

Where are you guys in DTLA? I work in the Aon building. If you let me visit, you'll earn a pledge from me. :D

If you can score an interview in LA, I can try to score an interview in Bellevue with the Pirvateer Press guys. :p

Man, This got funded way faster than I imagined. As a Khador player, I would love to see this make it far enough for the Fire and Ice campaign.

I can't remember seeing it, but have they said anything about which Warcasters they're thinking about including? I know they haven't talked about Cryx yet, but I'd love to see Gaspy or Skarre in, even if it's just P Gaspy and P Skarre. Terminus would be cool to see as well, but I don't expect it.

The single player starts you off with a journeyman. The only real casters I've seen so far are Butcher, Sorscha and Deneghra.

Isn't the Bellevue location just like a PO Box and the actual brains behind this game are in Soldatna, Alaska?

Hi all

Sorry for disappearing but i got caught up in our Twitch broadcast yesterday and needed to finally catch up on sleep :). Been a frantic few days.

@Spatan VI i'm talking this over with my boss. If i can do it you will need to sign an NDA. If not at least we can meet up at the Starbucks at 6th and Grand.

@Derangel There are others involved, but we aren't revealing them yet. Sorry... As to the journeyman she is Allison Jakes and the game is actually about taking her through to her ascention to being a full Warcaster. She is going to be canon to the universe moving forwards hence the minis in the rewards. There are also a lot of other canon characters that are forthcoming for the game, the merc solos that we have in the stretch goals are a prime example.

@Thuleman PP is based in Bellevue. We at whiteMoon are in Los Angeles.

Again I will try to answer any question you have on here. You can also reach me on facebook Rusty Buchert or @RustyBuchert in twitter.

Cheers

Rusty
EXec Producer WhiteMoon Dreams

Can you give us a rough estimate of how many jacks/units are going to available for each faction at release? What about Unit Attachments - will any be included?

The amount of units/jacks depends on how well the ks goes. Attachment are going to be a portion of the progression system for the sp experience and we are still working out the details for mp.

Cheers

Rusty

Dedicated server support?

So sick of games that have great potential for online versus mode only to be hampered by non dedi servers. There should be some form of anti-hack. Dedi servers is one step in the right direction.

We will be hosting dedicated servers. As to anti-hack / anti-cheat that is something near and dear to my heart. Back in the day Descent was one of my games i did. We had a lot of problems and were constantly updating for them. My favorite that we did had to do with people over riding the system clock with a much faster tick rate. Basically it allowed them to wipe someone out in about 3 seconds with the base lasers. How we fixed it was based on the fact that they were spamming packets at a rediculous rate. Sonwe updated the game to only take ten packets per second and ignore everything else. Those who tried cheating just hosed themselves on energy at that point. :)

Cheers

Rusty

Last edited:

I didn't say that PP isn't based in Bellevue, I did say that I believe that the creators of the IP (a couple of brothers) are based in Soldatna, Alaska. Is this not the case? Am I mixing this up with a different game?

The creator actually live in southern california. He is a former designer and art director for WotC.

Cheers

Rusty

Attachment are going to be a portion of the progression system for the sp experience and we are still working out the details for mp.

Some friends and I were sitting up at the LGS over the weekend and spitballing how the UA with the SP experience would work and that was the most logical conclusion we came to.

How big are the units? From the videos, the maps seem smallish, compared to the models on a 4x4 gaming table; I have a hard time imagining multiple 10 man units running around for each side.

Maps are being built for skirmishing. The base units are 1*1, jacks fall into 2*2 or 3*3 for heavy. The map in the video was 30*40 spaces. This is the equivalent to a 30" * 40" play area.

Cheers

Rusty

Yea, it's going big. I didn't know that many people were into Warmachine. Though, Steampunk is a pretty big genre these days.

Never heard of it myself. I am however into turn-based tactical RPG's in almost any form, and this one looks like it might be a lot of fun.

Personally I think the turn-based tactical RPG market is MUCH MUCH larger than people think, and that is probably a large part of this games success.

Hi all

Sorry for disappearing but i got caught up in our Twitch broadcast yesterday and needed to finally catch up on sleep :). Been a frantic few days.

@Spatan VI i'm talking this over with my boss. If i can do it you will need to sign an NDA. If not at least we can meet up at the Starbucks at 6th and Grand.

@Derangel There are others involved, but we aren't revealing them yet. Sorry... As to the journeyman she is Allison Jakes and the game is actually about taking her through to her ascention to being a full Warcaster. She is going to be canon to the universe moving forwards hence the minis in the rewards. There are also a lot of other canon characters that are forthcoming for the game, the merc solos that we have in the stretch goals are a prime example.

Again I will try to answer any question you have on here. You can also reach me on facebook Rusty Buchert or @RustyBuchert in twitter.

Cheers

Rusty
EXec Producer WhiteMoon Dreams

Wow, that would be awesome Rusty. :D

I pledged in! I used to play when it was only the four factions. I loved The Butcher warcaster and I painted my army exactly like the 5th Border Legion. I even painted the "5" on the banner on the original Kovnik unit.

Again I will try to answer any question you have on here.

My questions are about the AI. Will the different factions behave differently in combat? If the game is successful, will the AI be updated and improved after the game is released?

Hi all

Well I went ahead and put myself down enough for the Commander package. :D

Hi All,

Sorry for disappearing, had to catch up on work and that sleep thing.

@BladeVenom Each faction and warcaster will behave differently. Warcasters will reflect their personality and decisions will also be the tactical mix they have.

@SpartanV! Thanks! Also still working on sorting things out here.

Cheers

Rusty

Back