Warm? PNY RTX 4090 = $1,599.99 @ Best Buy

I bought an FE off of the Nvidia site a couple weeks ago with no issue, I went back a few times and they were still in stock.

You must be lucky. I've looked at the FE every now and then due to the reports about Nvidia being very good with honoring warranty on the FE cards, but it has been sold out every single time I've looked. What I'm kind of confused about is whether it's using a blower style cooler (ie hot air exhausts out the IO plate), an aftermarket style cooler (ie hot air exhausts out the side), or a bit of a mixture of both. It's nice if it's mostly a blower type, because I've noticed a huge decrease in the running temperatures of my NVME drives ever since switching to this Suprim X Liquid from my old EVGA 3080 Ti FTW, while gaming. I think it's around 10C in some cases?

Personally, I would stick to what I said in another topic, PNY's warranty terms and support for consumer grade GPU's is sort of (to me) reported to be sketchy. But do your own research and decide, I suppose. 4090 prices are only going to go up with the trade situation.

You must be lucky. I've looked at the FE every now and then due to the reports about Nvidia being very good with honoring warranty on the FE cards, but it has been sold out every single time I've looked. What I'm kind of confused about is whether it's using a blower style cooler (ie hot air exhausts out the IO plate), an aftermarket style cooler (ie hot air exhausts out the side), or a bit of a mixture of both. It's nice if it's mostly a blower type, because I've noticed a huge decrease in the running temperatures of my NVME drives ever since switching to this Suprim X Liquid from my old EVGA 3080 Ti FTW, while gaming. I think it's around 10C in some cases?

Personally, I would stick to what I said in another topic, PNY's warranty terms and support for consumer grade GPU's is sort of (to me) reported to be sketchy. But do your own research and decide, I suppose. 4090 prices are only going to go up with the trade situation.

FE vents the bottom fan out the back, the top fan (towards the front of the case) is a pull fan, venting upwards. I noticed a significant decrease in my RAM temps with the fan blowing right on them. It is also completely silent. I've had 4 different 4090s in my hands and this one is by far the quietest and best built as far as material standards.

I've RMA'd PNY cards a few times and never had any issue, they're one of the only US based companies and make a lot of OEM cards.

Pny is good. As far as price what did you expect? They're actually going up in price now by the way ;).
Every brand card is going up in price it seems. I've never owned a PNY card personally, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Since this topic is about Best Buy, just an fyi:
1698019931769.png

I think they ship, too. Not sure about warranty though, when it comes to Best Buy open box and Gigabyte.

Pny is garbageware. I mean the previous poster who said "I've RMA'ed pny a few times" should say enough.

and what a joke this card still costs $1600 a year after release.

Over the span of a decade going back to the fermi cards, and they accepted used ones. They’re just generic oem boards so shouldn’t be any worse than the FE except the cooler.

PNY is like... the opposite of EVGA. EVGA went out of business because they had certain principles, meanwhile PNY has been churning out completely average (and sometimes below) cards for as long as I can remember. And they're still trucking.

PNY and Zotac are usually cheaper than other manufacturer's but I don't think I would buy either brand

Everything is going up in price due to the outrageous inflation in the US. We are buying (that's President Biden doing) oil from authoritarian countries when we got trillions of barrels in proven reserves. Plus we are paying interest on 40 trillion dollars!

This is the exact same card I have, and it hasn't had an issue thankfully. 73c at most in an entertainment center with the doors closed in my mITX build. No coil whine either.

PNY seems to have higher brand reputation than Zotac. My previous card was a Zotac 3090 and it ran stupidly hot.

Fortunately, their RMA service is very good, but I would go with almost any other brand if paying big money on a GPU.

PNY is great. Never had an issue with any of their cards. Have PNY 4080 card in my latest build and it’s a quiet / cool beast

PNY seems to have higher brand reputation than Zotac. My previous card was a Zotac 3090 and it ran stupidly hot.

Fortunately, their RMA service is very good, but I would go with almost any other brand if paying big money on a GPU.
Well I can say this, I just bought a Zotac 4080 on Amazon Prime day for ~$950, which is my first time with the brand, and it idles in the upper 20's, haven't seen it above the lower 60's, and it's quiet as a mouse. Only a few hours playtime so far though.

Well I can say this, I just bought a Zotac 4080 on Amazon Prime day for ~$950, which is my first time with the brand, and it idles in the upper 20's, haven't seen it above the lower 60's, and it's quiet as a mouse. Only a few hours playtime so far though.
We bought a zotac 2070 super in 2018 as it was the only kind available for quick shipping and it still works fine, and I think in 2007 my friend bought one and it lasted until he built a newer rig in 2011.

Thank you. Was the 4090 power connector frying issue fixed? Never had a PNY card are they reliable long term? Been buying EVGA since the 8800 GT and they stopped making cards. May just wait for the 4090 Super/Ti or 5090.

Thank you. Was the 4090 power connector frying issue fixed? Never had a PNY card are they reliable long term? Been buying EVGA since the 8800 GT and they stopped making cards. May just wait for the 4090 Super/Ti or 5090.

If you mean the 12VHPWR to 4x8 pin adapter, no, I don't think it was ever really "fixed".

Here are the bullet points from what I know from when I researched this issue before buying my 4090:
1. There are two brands of these 4090 connectors that can come with a card. One is slightly better than the other.
2. Most short term failures are user error. Make sure it "clicks" very audibly.
For long term failure, these are just my speculations but:
3. Don't bend the cables too close to the slot, and especially do not bend them sideways. Try mostly bending it upwards or downwards, and don't let too much stress get to the socket.
4. Try to keep from plugging it and unplugging it too much. ie, if you're needing to remove the card, opt for removing it with the adapter attached. Gamernexus noted that there was some mechanical failure involved with wearing down the connectors.

I think technically this sort of extends to the native cables that hook up straight to the PSU as well, as there have been cases of the cable burning on the PSU side. The TL;DR is treat it gently and carefully. I actually have my Lian Li Mesh 2 door cracked open a decent amount just to accommodate the width of the card to keep from bending the cable. The problem is that Gamernexus and other youtubers mostly tested short term failure, so it's hard to say how long cable stress would take to cause it to fail and other stuff. There are "better" 3rd party cables you can get, but I've heard dicey things about those so I just stick with the OEM.

My only issue with PNY and ZOTAC(and most of them really),is the length of the cards,far too big for my ITX builds,decent price though. 1st world problems.

My only issue with PNY and ZOTAC(and most of them really),is the length of the cards,far too big for my ITX builds,decent price though. 1st world problems.
They fit in the NR200 but there is 0 room left. Or at least the PNY 4090s. They probably fit in the new fractal ridge too. What sucks is you will always be forced to get the 90 degree adapter with these builds.

PNY is a reputable brand especially for reference/NVTTM models and pro Quadro parts. They used to be the NA pro partner for Nvidia, not sure if they are exclusive still or not.

Can’t comment on their gamer stuff like XLR8 but I’ve had to warranty some OEM stuff and had no issues, got one RMA (Titan Xm) brand new in box and was able to sell it as new a few years ago.

PNY and Zotac are usually cheaper than other manufacturer's but I don't think I would buy either brand
I have a Zotac 4090 Trinity OC and had a Zotac 3080 I bought used. No issues with either of them except for a failed fan on the 3080 that I replaced myself. 4090 has no coil whine that I have heard other cards deal with and I can overclock the bejesus out of it I want to.

PNY is a reputable brand especially for reference/NVTTM models and pro Quadro parts. They used to be the NA pro partner for Nvidia, not sure if they are exclusive still or not.

Can’t comment on their gamer stuff like XLR8 but I’ve had to warranty some OEM stuff and had no issues, got one RMA (Titan Xm) brand new in box and was able to sell it as new a few years ago.
well thats pretty dishonest since an rma is usually a refurbished card.

again all the people saying, " I had a good time RMA'ing pny " should really tell you to steer clear of the brand.

well thats pretty dishonest since an rma is usually a refurbished card.

again all the people saying, " I had a good time RMA'ing pny " should really tell you to steer clear of the brand.
It was in a sealed PNY Box that showed the card and all serial numbers, buyer was satisfied it was new in box as that is what the pic and description stated.

I’ve had to RMA plenty of GPUs from nvidia, EVGA, etc. hardware fails and most of these reference models are rebadged from the same factory anyway. How the OEM handles RMA and their warranty is what matters.

I’ve had to RMA plenty of GPUs from nvidia, EVGA, etc. hardware fails and most of these reference models are rebadged from the same factory anyway. How the OEM handles RMA and their warranty is what matters.

Does the 4090 have a real reference model, FE aside? Here's where someone on LinusTechTips did a VRM/power phase meta-analysis of some 4090s:
1699024450404.png

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1461611-rtx-4090-vrm-meta-analysis-and-feaib-comparison/

They say all of them should work just fine anyway, but just something to note. I don't know where PNY places on here since they never added it. Apparently my Suprim X Liquid has a lot of power handling... and yet is capped to 530W max lol.

For my part, I've technically had an EVGA fail for me (780GTX), but I was doing something weird with them (ie Kraken G20 at the time, and zip ties before that), so I'm not sure if I can blame EVGA for that. That leaves my 980 Ti from Gigabyte as the only card I've ever had fail. Gigabyte at first replaced it with a defective 980 Ti, then I sent that back and they replaced it with a 1080 which is still working just fine to this day.

Edit: Well no there was that one 7800GT. I think it was technically failing on me, but never quite did? I think it got thrown away at some point, otherwise I might could still get it to work.

Last edited:
Back