Warm? Plex for Android $0.99

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Link

It's $4.99 on google play store.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought it when it was on sale from the Google play store and it's been worth every penny. I run a plex server from my HTPC so I can watch movies on any of my computers in my home and my parents' when I visit. Expanding that out to my N7 and phone was totally worth the price. I also visited a friend in another city and we wanted to watch a movie, so I used Plex to Chromecast a film from my home to her TV. It's a steal at this price if you have a movie collection and view it in multiple places.

I bought it, was even more pleased when I paid in Amazon Coins(?). Just the push I needed.

Plex put it on sale on the Amazon store for the release of the FireTV.

I think I paid like six bucks for it a long time ago, a buck is a [H]ot deal.

Great deal on teh app. I'm still on teh fence about the fire TV. I wish it was $75 instead of $100

I have the GP/Android version and it works great. Much better than the iOS version when streaming to Chromecast (disconnect on iOS).

Great deal on teh app. I'm still on teh fence about the fire TV. I wish it was $75 instead of $100

Why not $50 or $25? :)

That's silly. $100 is probably already at pretty much break-even and they're selling them at cost to get people hooked into their content platform.

Last edited:
Huh odd. Never heard anything about the Amazon coins. Apparently I have 290, so freaking sweet deal!

What version does Amazon actually install? Amazon shows 3.2.9.113 while Google Play shows 3.2.12.119. Haven't used Amazon in a while due to this version mismatch issue.

It installs 3.2.9.113. The version on the play store launched on the 3rd and you know how the amazon app store works, wait two weeks and it'll probably be approved by then.

One thing is 3.2.9.113 isn't in the normal release channel, it could have been a special one for the FireTV and they're working on merging them, who knows.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/60585-plex-for-android/page-3

Last edited:
Huh odd. Never heard anything about the Amazon coins. Apparently I have 290, so freaking sweet deal!

ya I had 250 of these magical coins also, awesome deal

I already have free media streaming software for windows and iOS. Is there really no free option for android? And I assume this does the same thing as Streamtome and Orb and the like, correct?

I found out about this through SD and bought it last weekend. The program you install on the PC side seems a bit heavy (a 60+ MB download, if I recall), but the Android side is relatively lightweight (4 MB). I played around very quickly and will spend more time with it this weekend to fine tune it a bit.

I had 500 found I didn't even know about. Used those and got a dollar credit lol.

I already have free media streaming software for windows and iOS. Is there really no free option for android?

BubbleUPNP Streams everything on my media server, which is just a hard drive attached to my Asus RT-AC66U router, to my WDTV Live, using my android phone as remote control. And it's FREE.

I haven't used Plex for android, but I tried to use Plex to do the same thing to stream media files from my PC to my WDTV Live. I much prefer BubbleUPNP.

A while ago i bought the android app for my phone, and bought it again for my girlfriends phone.... then I bought lifetime Plexpass, and now I have the free app on the Android Market. Then I Bought it again for the Fire TV I have now. But thankfully I had 280 coins already.... And then after activating the Fire TV I got 1000 more... :)

Plex is awesome. I'm glad to give back to them, they make a great product.

I already have free media streaming software for windows and iOS. Is there really no free option for android?

Where did anyone claim there wasn't? I use the excellent BSPlayer myself, but I can understand the appeal of the paid apps like Plex -- they've put a lot of time into a nice client/server interface and architecture that is fluid and user friendly. A lot of the free players provide little more than a list of files/folders on an SD card/network share, and its pretty bare.

Last edited:
BubbleUPNP Streams everything on my media server, which is just a hard drive attached to my Asus RT-AC66U router, to my WDTV Live, using my android phone as remote control. And it's FREE.

I haven't used Plex for android, but I tried to use Plex to do the same thing to stream media files from my PC to my WDTV Live. I much prefer BubbleUPNP.

Can you use this to stream your content over the web or just over your LAN? My sole purpose for Plex is to be able to stream my content over the web to my phone or tablet. It does on the fly transcoding on the server side so that all your content is formatted properly for your mobile device.

I think the best features that Plex allows are automatic downloading of metadata information for you all your files. I haven't worked with many free apps that have this functionality a long with a fairly decent interface. I will admit that sometimes I have had issues with Plex not pulling correct covers/posters for specific shows and movies but its rare and you can manually add them if you need.

You can also share your library with your friends that have the plex app too which I think it a neat feature as long as your friends aren't draining your bandwidth all the time.

I use XMBC for anything on my LAN and find it far superior to any HTPC app I have used.

Last edited:
You need a beefy machine for Plex to transcode. My little Synology NAS box is not powerful enough to transcode so I might have to build a NAS box on my own to do this.

Can you use this to stream your content over the web or just over your LAN? My sole purpose for Plex is to be able to stream my content over the web to my phone or tablet. It does on the fly transcoding on the server side so that all your content is formatted properly for your mobile device.

You can also share your library with your friends that have the plex app too which I think it a neat feature as long as your friends aren't draining your bandwidth all the time.

Can stream content from my RT-AC66U attached storage (just a couple of 3TB external HD's plugged into router's usb ports) over LAN or over web, or share content with friends, with Asus AiCloud app. Works like a charm...and, like BubbleUPNP, also FREE. :)

Well I didn't pay anything for plex on my computer and I didn't pay anything for plex on my phone since I had coins that I have no idea where they came from. Even so at $1 how can you bitch and say other things are free. I just don't understand how cheap some people are.

Well I didn't pay anything for plex on my computer and I didn't pay anything for plex on my phone since I had coins that I have no idea where they came from. Even so at $1 how can you bitch and say other things are free. I just don't understand how cheap some people are.

I did the same exact thing. Used amazon coins that I got from some promotion to buy an app that is on sale for 80% off.

I have used Plex. I don't use BubbleUPNP and AiCloud because they are free. I use them because I prefer them to Plex. I've tried many media streaming apps...BubbleUPNP is the best I've used. That they are free is just icing on the cake.

If you have a plex server & an amazon anything (that needs the amazon app store instead of standard google play) then a buck is a good deal..

Triple Dipped on Plex at the normal price (My Androids, Kindle Fire HDX and iThings) and I found it to be a worthy application. I wish Sony would get Plex on the PS4, I won't mind Quadruple Dipping...it's an amazing App and for $.99 it's a must buy.

Plex is a great app, probably the easiest to use HTPC solution ever. But I wish some of the clients had better media support. I use it Chromecast and pretty much every single file is transcoded, audio is always PCM (unless its DD 5.1) and in general it puts a lot of load on my cpu.

My friend has a Pi running XBMC, the setup and UI is much harder than Plex, but in the end he has more media support and less load.

I have 8 HD's

I have an old i5-2400 SB chip running plex in a regular z77 board with a LSI 9211-8i for extra internal ports. I can put up to 12 HDD's in it, plus I can transcode without issues. I think the total cost of all of that is around $250-300 and if something breaks, I can swap it out instead of having to replace the whole board. Granted the power numbers are probably better on that Bay Trail Celeron.

Make sure you have patched up your Asus router if you are using AiCloud:

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...e-been-pwned-thanks-to-easily-exploited-flaw/

Thanks. The "flaw" was that if you were too stupid to turn off anonymous FTP access, someone could anonymously access your router-attached storage. Duh! This was addressed in a firmware update many months ago, turning off anonymous access as a default setting for those too dumb to turn it off manually. Of course, those same people are likely not smart enough to update firmware either. :rolleyes:

Back