warm?...HPTouchpad refurb 32 gig $225 shipped--WOOT.com

Been wanting a tablet and I know you can put ICS on it via CM9. Tempting.

The size. (lol) But seriously, if i am going to buy a tablet, it's for pure portability, and when I am holding an iPad, or a transformer, they just feel so large and unwieldy. With their size and cost, I almost feel like an ultrabook would have a better idea, given how much more you can do with one.

I will be starting a job this fall for which I will be doing ~40-45 min a day on a train commuting, and it would be great to have a super portable device with which I can work while riding (and billing the time to a client). Of course the smaller screen size has its issues as well (too small to type normally, less battery), it just seems so much more comfortable in the hand. if it were up to me, I would really prefer an 8" tablet. That seems like the sweet spot. large enough to have a type-able keyboard, but still portable.

The size. (lol) But seriously, if i am going to buy a tablet, it's for pure portability, and when I am holding an iPad, or a transformer, they just feel so large and unwieldy. With their size and cost, I almost feel like an ultrabook would have a better idea, given how much more you can do with one.

I will be starting a job this fall for which I will be doing ~40-45 min a day on a train commuting, and it would be great to have a super portable device with which I can work while riding (and billing the time to a client). Of course the smaller screen size has its issues as well (too small to type normally, less battery), it just seems so much more comfortable in the hand. if it were up to me, I would really prefer an 8" tablet. That seems like the sweet spot. large enough to have a type-able keyboard, but still portable.

I'd say an ultrabook.... or a tablet + bluetooth keyboard

currently have a Dell 13" m1330, Dell Mini 10v (netbook) and a HP Touchpad + BT keyboard...

the tablets work for small stuff (like watching videos, browsing a few webpages)... useful for on-the-go looking up at stuff... but if i want to do a little more, I prefer my netbook (but it's too slow, atom)... an ultrabook wuld be a good compromise, but require you to spend some more $ (that i dont want to spend)

The 9.x" of the Touchpad is noticeably smaller than the 10.1" of the Transformer for me.

I prefer the Touchpad size.

What do you like about the 7" form factor versus the ten?

I'm with the guy you quoted... I like my 7" Kindle Fire more than I liked my 10.1" Asus Transformer, and I loved that one. Widescreen is a lot more comfortable to hold both weight and size-wise (for longer than a few minutes especially) since there isn't as much angular weight that makes it feel heavy (plus it's lighter in actuality). Additionally it's easy to type on as a 7" tablet while a 10.1" is too big to comfortably thumb-type on in widescreen layout, yet a touch small in portrait. Finally portrait mode for reading is way nicer on a smaller tablet, since a larger 10.1" model results in the text having to be jumbo to fill the screen or tiny and scaled to show the whole page by width. A 7" is comfortable for one-handed reading in portrait whereas the larger sizes aren't for me.

Back