Warm: Bestbuy Logitech MX510 optical mouse

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
39.99 after 10 dollar IR.

Specs: MX 510
5.8 megapixel, 800 DPI

Original MX 500 specs for comparison
4.7 megapixel, 800 DPI.

The problem with the MX line and not having all buttons function in games seems to have been fixed...or at least that's what they say. The driver is also specific to the MX 510 and cannot be used by other MX mice.

The driver included is the latest one...I tried to update it with the one listed on Logitech, but I get a message that says I have the same driver installed.

So far, all my buttons work in games. I know in UT2k3, my MX 500 had problems with the middle mouse working properly. I always had to hotkey the middle mouse button to a button on my keyboard, but even then it was faulty. I would need to reassign my keys after every game. Same, with the UT2k4 demo. The MX 510 seems to have fixed this problem as all 8 buttons function in games.

Oh yeah, the mouse looks sweet as hell too. The standard metallic gray is replaced by a nice marble red. Supposidly each mouse is unique. The left and right buttons also seem crisper. The mousewheel is also nicer in feel. The buttons feeling crisper may be due to my MX 500 being heavily used and worn.

All in all, 39.99 isn't bad for a mouse. I paid 50 for my MX 500 a few years ago.

EDIT: Taken from some press release by Logitech

The sensor: The previous MX series used a 4.7 megapixel sensor. The MX510 is using a 5.8 megapixel sensor, which means that it is gathering more information and providing greater accuracy and precision. When moving the mouse rapidly across a desktop there is a process of reporting movement. Nearly all optical mice report 7 bits to the 7th power. This means that there tends to be gaps when moving great distances rapidly. The new MX510 has a 12 bit report rate that is 12 to 12th power. With this much detailed information, every minute movement of the mouse is registered as on screen movement. A general user would see this as overkill, but a gamer that has experienced these issues in the past will see the benefits. Many of our engineers who are hardcore gamers have finally made the move from ball based mouse to optical due to this mouse.

More on the 12-bit vs. 8-bit mice:

An improved 12-bit data path allows the MX510 to respond to movements 3x as fast as current 8-bit mice can handle. This benefits high-paced FPS games, allowing for quicker turns and effortless 180's.

Finally our new software allows for all eight of the buttons to be programmed for game specific functions. This has be a long requested item for our mice by anyone the plays PC games.

Wow, great post. Is it the same in physical shape to the mx500? I have 4 of them now, but I would be willing to try the 510 if all the buttons work in the games that I play.

Originally posted by Nomjr
Wow, great post. Is it the same in physical shape to the mx500? I have 4 of them now, but I would be willing to try the 510 if all the buttons work in the games that I play.

Yup, same exact shape as the MX 500. Only difference is the color. The black rubber remains the same, but the one-piece left and right buttons are a marble red color. The finish is also smooth as opposed to kind of rubbery like the old MX 500.

Went and picked it up. All I can say is wow, this thing is really nice and all the buttons I couldn't use now work in ut2k3 and ut2k4 with the software installed. Thanks again for the heads up on a great mouse!

NP. Always glad to share a good deal.

Man, isn't that mouse purrty? :D

i wish the bb by my house would get them in stock. It has been out for like 2 weeks -_-.

hehe. they have been selling them for about 2 weeks. too bad logitech has some deal with bb so only bb will b carrying this mx510 mouse =/

Yeah, I know they were on the shelf two weeks ago because I "sold" one to a girl while I was waiting on my Gig of HyperX PC4000. I probably would have bought one if I hadn't just snagged an MX700, too. Heck, I still might.

As for distribution, I think Logitech will open up other channels in a little while. BB's exclusive deal is on a timer, AFAIK.

Originally posted by BigBen
hehe. they have been selling them for about 2 weeks. too bad logitech has some deal with bb so only bb will b carrying this mx510 mouse =/

Till April
I mean Best Buy has them exclusive till April

They've been selling them more than 2 weeks.. I saw one at Best Buy over a month ago.

The local best buy didn't have the 510s nor the 500s....hell....of all the mice on display they had 1/3 of them on the shelf and in stock.

OK, so is anyone else bothered by this "having to upgrade" to a 510 to get a mouse that will do what a 500 should do. Its BS that in order for your MX mouse to work in games you have to get a 510. I doubt its hardware that makes the 510 work in games, and i'd bet they could do it no problem with the 500 if they just released a driver update.

That being said, for about $10 more, i would consider a 510 instead of a 500.

It's very lame of logitech to limit fixing their broken drivers only to their newest mouse... Definately not a move to inspire customer loyalty.

I heard on another board that they'll release silver and blue colors.

I hope so, the red doesn't match my keyboard and monitor :)

I found a picture on the logitech server of the MX510 in.. blue I think. I'll try and find it again for ya, if it's still there.

Edit: here you go guys. Note that the image is from the official logitech website. No, you will not find a review of this elsewhere, and you probably won't see it mentioned. It's probably still under wraps right now. Cut and paste so they don't know what people are looking at what.

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/3456.jpg

that blue one looks sweet!

hmmm... that gives me some ideas...
mx510_blk.jpg

mx510_grn.jpg

mx510_dual.jpg

hope you see this, logitech!

Back