Warm: Acer 11.6" laptop $250 shipped

And yet it will sell, Why? $250. People are cheap and will buy anything that is cheap.

"Don't generally see netbooks this cheap"? Pretty much all the ones I've seen (other than those special ones with ION and whatnot) have been around $250-300.

And yeah, this is definitely a netbook.

It's more of an underpowered ultrabook. I didn't know they made a version with a single core APU, but I've got a very similar setup with an i5 470UM and I like it a lot. The form factor is quite nice (less than an inch thick), and you get a good bit of battery life and connectivity options. Makes a great extremely portable machine, though with this CPU power... you're probably better off getting a tablet unless you expect to do a lot of typing or you need an x86 platform for applications.

Build quality is good, but it's not going to feel like an all metal machine. Mine gets a little warm (but not hot) in use, so this would probably be only slightly warm with a fairly quiet cooling fan.

Given that it's an 11.6" higher resolution screen and a real operating system (not basic...), you really don't see a machine like this for $250 very often. $250 will usually get you a similar CPU in a smaller chassis with less battery life and a lower resolution screen.

So I guess that leaves me wondering, what is the difference between an "underpowered ultrabook" and a "netbook"? I kinda thought that was almost the very definition.

This barely even constitutes a netbook, IMO- the processor is a significantly underclocked E-350, which is AMD's Atom counterpart. Going from 1.6GHz down to 1GHz causes pretty sizable loss of performance- speaking from hands-on experience with the Acer W500 tablet. At these speeds, it'll even have trouble with YouTube. :(

Huh, so any chance you could upgrade the CPU? Other than that, the specs are pretty decent.

I did say this was only a warm-ish deal. I know the cpu is slow, but I still think this is a decent netbook for the price.
Last black friday I got a similar gateway netbook for $220 with atom n550 (which is slower than the c-60), 250GB HD, and 1GB ram.

After upgrading the ram to 2GB, the netbook performs well for light web browsing, taking notes in class, and watching youtube videos. This Acer plays videos better, has 4GB RAM, and more storage for maybe $20 more.

Back