Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade (New MMO)

Too bad they don't want it to be story driven and they want to give too much attention to sandbox model. That's not the way I like - sandboxes without story aint my slice of bread.

Ideally they should have Space Marines limited. Human players start off as humans and at a certain level can choose to enter tests to become a Space Marine or enter the Imperial Guard higher ranks. Space Marines are supposed to be 1 in a million elite few amongst the millions of normal humans, but they wont do it like that. :D

Ideally they should have Space Marines limited. Human players start off as humans and at a certain level can choose to enter tests to become a Space Marine or enter the Imperial Guard higher ranks. Space Marines are supposed to be 1 in a million elite few amongst the millions of normal humans, but they wont do it like that. :D

from what i heard, FTP players are going to be Orks. I am all for limiting factions in W40k. A space marine should be stronger than an ork any day of the week. I also would like there to be a bit more narrative than planetside 2 but I love the players are content paradigm shift that is happening in MMOs

from what i heard, FTP players are going to be Orks. I am all for limiting factions in W40k. A space marine should be stronger than an ork any day of the week. I also would like there to be a bit more narrative than planetside 2 but I love the players are content paradigm shift that is happening in MMOs

An Ork should be as strong or stronger than a Space Marine in melee but have worse ranged equipment and vehicles and be stronger than a human. Orks are supposed to be one of the best melee armies in the entire game, so at range Space Marines should win, close up, Orks win unless the Marines have caused enough damage..

It would kind of silly to have it like in Space Marine where 30 Orks struggle against 1 Space Marine, and no one would want to play as a cannon fodder grunt.. :D

It would kind of silly to have it like in Space Marine where 30 Orks struggle against 1 Space Marine, and no one would want to play as a cannon fodder grunt.. :D

I honestly couldn't see myself playing for any other race than Orks. I love them.

In the original game 1 Space Marine = 1.5 Orks if that. :p

It really all comes down to the situation and which orks we're talking about. I mean orks are notorious for being incredibly poor strategists, but if they were to get the drop on the marines you could see some pretty low ratios. The opposite situation would give the marines that 1:100 ratio kind of shit.

I honestly couldn't see myself playing for any other race than Orks. I love them.

I'd want to play as a Weirdboy with the Foot of Gork. :D

Too many games just have Space Marines as a focus (and usually Ultramarines), and they have to be the most boring army in the entire lore though they are popular with new players). Would be much better to just replace them with the Inquisition or any of the other branches (plus the character models would be a million times more varied and interesting :D).

It really all comes down to the situation and which orks we're talking about. I mean orks are notorious for being incredibly poor strategists, but if they were to get the drop on the marines you could see some pretty low ratios. The opposite situation would give the marines that 1:100 ratio kind of shit.

A group of 20 Orks and 10 Marines in melee would be an Ork victory unless the marines got lucky. Shooting would depends on the type of Orks, but they'd probably lose.

Depends, the armies of that Ghazghkull and others were supposed to have been pretty tactical, just the bands of Orks are supposed to be pretty brainless. :D

In the original game 1 Space Marine = 1.5 Orks if that. :p

It hasn't been that way in a long time, has it? Typically when Orks win it is due to vastly outnumbering their Space Marine opponents. I thought Nob = standard Space Marine.

A terminator space marine would give a few orkz some trouble though... Power claw FTW. :)

Seems like a popular trend these days to take popular franchises and turn them into MMO.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, it just hasn't been handled very well. I like the sandbox MMO idea and I like 40k, so maybe just maybe this game will be decent.

So they hired a company with no mmo experience, whose recent body of work is sub-par, who then went out and hired ex-Funcom devs to help out? I don't have my hopes up for this one even though I love Warhammer.

So they hired a company with no mmo experience, whose recent body of work is sub-par, who then went out and hired ex-Funcom devs to help out? I don't have my hopes up for this one even though I love Warhammer.

Essentially, yes. I have hopes though, you don't need a tremendous amount of MMO experience if you aren't building a typical MMO.

The race balance is a bit different depending on if you go by fluff or table top rules.

But as for this game supposedly f2p will be limited to Orkz Boyz and they expect the balance to be around 5 boyz to one Marine.

The free race available to everyone will be the Orks. But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...-40000-Eternal-Crusade-There-Is-Only-WAR.html

Although if you think about it W40k tabletop and Games Workshop is really based around the microtransaction and p2w model anyways :p

Four player factions, Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, Orks, and Fifth AI controlled Tyranid faction.

Third person combat (comparison was to Space Marine and Gears of War).

3 Month campaigns.

Will have vehicles.

More info here - http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/11/warhammer-40000-eternal-crusade-announced-for-2015/

It might be a little difficult for them to keep an audience with ftp players only able to be the weakest characters. I honestly hope it works though

It hasn't been that way in a long time, has it? Typically when Orks win it is due to vastly outnumbering their Space Marine opponents. I thought Nob = standard Space Marine.

It has always been that way pretty much. The Orks also have smaller sub races (gretchin) who make up numbers/meatsheilds. A Nob is better than a normal marine in Melee (attacks more, takes more damage, it's not possible for a non assault marine to kill a Nob in one turn [due to wounds], but a Nob can kill 3 marines).

Space marines are an all rounder army, they are ok in melee, ok at ranged stuff, ok at heavy support (vehicles), Orks are good at melee, ok at shooting and bad at heavy support. If a Space Marine army doesn't shoot effectively enough it will lose to an Ork side, and a natural counter to firepower and attrition is numbers. But that's not why the Orks win in melee, as they can win in melee against proper melee zerging armies like Tyranids, unlike the Space Marines who would have to fall back to shooting. Especially recently now they have more attacks. 5 to take down 1 marine is BS and would never happen, but for some reason all the people making the games seem to ignore the lore and try and make the Space Marines into super heroes, who are part of every conflict, rather than more "Special Forces" kind of things on a larger scale (while Imperial Guard do most of the fighting, though it's the same for Chaos, where there's millions of cultists, and a few thousand Marines, yet it is always Marines vs Marines) :D Space marine was fine because he was a Space Marine Captain, not just a normal Space Marine.

There are lots and lots of bad Ork (and Space Marine) players though, it's just the way it is. So either opponent tends to be easy.

A terminator space marine would give a few orkz some trouble though... Power claw FTW. :)

Depends on the edition. Orks in newer rules can have armor save limiting attacks, so terminator armor isn't that good. Power Fists (Orks have power claws, unless you mean lightning claws?) are slowass and hit last, so in melee they'd probably lose.

A Necron army would be epic!! Always was my favorite on the table top and on Dawn of War Dark Crusade!! Necron Lord leading the way with some pariah's, destroyers following behind with the Monolith behind!!!!

But honestly.. an MMO? :/ I dunno about this... never been big on the mmo scene

It might be a little difficult for them to keep an audience with ftp players only able to be the weakest characters. I honestly hope it works though

If you see most people and how they quit to join the best side, it may work, but there will be a pile of bitching. :D

It has always been that way pretty much. The Orks also have smaller sub races (gretchin) who make up numbers/meatsheilds. A Nob is better than a normal marine in Melee (attacks more, takes more damage, it's not possible for a non assault marine to kill a Nob in one turn [due to wounds], but a Nob can kill 3 marines).

Space marines are an all rounder army, they are ok in melee, ok at ranged stuff, ok at heavy support (vehicles), Orks are good at melee, ok at shooting and bad at heavy support. If a Space Marine army doesn't shoot effectively enough it will lose to an Ork side, and a natural counter to firepower and attrition is numbers. But that's not why the Orks win in melee, as they can win in melee against proper melee zerging armies like Tyranids, unlike the Space Marines who would have to fall back to shooting. Especially recently now they have more attacks. 5 to take down 1 marine is BS and would never happen, but for some reason all the people making the games seem to ignore the lore and try and make the Space Marines into super heroes, who are part of every conflict, rather than more "Special Forces" kind of things on a larger scale (while Imperial Guard do most of the fighting, though it's the same for Chaos, where there's millions of cultists, and a few thousand Marines, yet it is always Marines vs Marines) :D Space marine was fine because he was a Space Marine Captain, not just a normal Space Marine.

There are lots and lots of bad Ork (and Space Marine) players though, it's just the way it is. So either opponent tends to be easy.

Depends on the edition. Orks in newer rules can have armor save limiting attacks, so terminator armor isn't that good. Power Fists (Orks have power claws, unless you mean lightning claws?) are slowass and hit last, so in melee they'd probably lose.

Ah, OK. I think the Dawn of War games have spoiled my WH40k rules a bit. Either that or my damn friend who plays keeps talking about high ranking Ultramarine battles...

Hopefully they implement subchapters and subfactions for each of the 4 major groups.

Always a pile of bitching :D

this may be legitimate. The balance is going to have to be careful to get it so people wont just rage quit because they make the Orks so useless (especially if on average it's 1:5 K:D) that they feel they don't really have a chance, and not strong enough so that the paying to win people on the other team lose too much. If a good Ork player can take out a reasonable Space marine player, then it shouldn't be so bad (though it's still silly). :D

Ah, OK. I think the Dawn of War games have spoiled my WH40k rules a bit. Either that or my damn friend who plays keeps talking about high ranking Ultramarine battles...

Hopefully they implement subchapters and subfactions for each of the 4 major groups.

"You know how you spot a new W40k player? They use Ultramarines." :D

A typical Imperium force is supposed to be thousands and thousands of Imperial Guard (there's supposed to be 500-750k in an army) and maybe 100 Space Marines. They wouldn't all usually be in the same place unless it's some huge battle against some enemy threatening to wipe out their home world. Even then there are only 1000 Marines in a chapter in the games setting (so only 1000 Ultramarines ever) so they wont fight by themselves. So it would be good to have that kind of balance (especially as Space Marines are modified humans and not born that way). Plus Ultramarines are boring compared to most of the other variants.

"we have a top-three performing game in ALL the different stores (XBLA, PC MMO with 14M install, Facebook, iTunes, Google, etc…) We can send the list to you."

This statement said everything I need to know that the game is going to fucking suck donkey dick.

this may be legitimate. The balance is going to have to be careful to get it so people wont just rage quit because they make the Orks so useless (especially if on average it's 1:5 K:D) that they feel they don't really have a chance, and not strong enough so that the paying to win people on the other team lose too much. If a good Ork player can take out a reasonable Space marine player, then it shouldn't be so bad (though it's still silly). :D

"You know how you spot a new W40k player? They use Ultramarines." :D

A typical Imperium force is supposed to be thousands and thousands of Imperial Guard (there's supposed to be 500-750k in an army) and maybe 100 Space Marines. They wouldn't all usually be in the same place unless it's some huge battle against some enemy threatening to wipe out their home world. Even then there are only 1000 Marines in a chapter in the games setting (so only 1000 Ultramarines ever) so they wont fight by themselves. So it would be good to have that kind of balance (especially as Space Marines are modified humans and not born that way). Plus Ultramarines are boring compared to most of the other variants.

There are "supposed" to be only 1,000 marines in a chapter, the chances of that being true is as likely as the Emperor stepping off the golden throne and asking for a budlight.

There are "supposed" to be only 1,000 marines in a chapter, the chances of that being true is as likely as the Emperor stepping off the golden throne and asking for a budlight.

There are only 1000 soldiers in a Space Marine chapter, unless the time period is before the 40k stuff happens when chapters were much larger. After that the Ultramarine limited to 1000 by the rule book they wrote for themselves, and because they like "order" and stuff straying from that rule set is punishable by death, so there are only 1000 and usually fewer than that (though the Space Wolves are different).

I think I mean lightning claws... would a sword or hammer be a better choice with a terminator? I'm only familiar with WH40K through video games & novels, so I apologize for lacking the knowledge.

As mentioned by aeonrevolution, Grey Knights are my favorite, too (so far).

Tyrnaids were always my favorite (my first army) so I'm glad to see them included in the game somehow, but sad to see its only AI.

I'll certainly keep my eye on this. The new style of gameplay sounds as if it has potential but as always, a huge margin of error to fail as well.

edit: sad to see its also being developed for consoles, but at least its next gen stuff

Last edited:
I think I mean lightning claws... would a sword or hammer be a better choice with a terminator? I'm only familiar with WH40K through video games & novels, so I apologize for lacking the knowledge.

As mentioned by aeonrevolution, Grey Knights are my favorite, too (so far).

Depends what you are fighting (and the edition as the rules change a bunch). Power fists (and chain fists) are good against vehicles and big targets, but not so good against smaller enemies (as the are slow), swords are good against smaller medium armored enemies but poor against bigger targets and medium/heavy vehicles as they lack strength.

Hammers and twin claws are pure "assault" load outs, so you have to sacrifice guns to have them, hammer and shield makes the guy more survivable, and good against large/heavy armored targets, claws make them better against multiple smaller targets, or stuff in cover. Basically which is better depends on what you are fighting.

Grey knights are more interesting too. They use halberds. :D

Back