War vs Wotlk

Superfly3176

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm in Beta for both, and I'll give my personal analysis.

WoTLK:

I started by making a death knight. Amazing story line to start out as a DK, you acquire talents by doing quests. It's really nifty. I went Unholy right away and got some of the coolest abilities in the game. When spec'd your summon undead turns the summon into a pet, otherwise the raise dead just gives you a uncontrolled pet.

So I was very much enjoying my DK, then they torched the dps. Respectively, my kara geared holy paladin was killing mobs much faster then the DK, as holy spec. I think it's going to be very hard to balance DK dps and tanking since all the trees are "tanking trees"

After servers were down all weekend I was able to get a group for the nexus. I immediately noticed that running out of mana is hard in this game. Between Seal of Wisdom and judgement of the wise mana was returning like crazy.

We wiped once do to pulling 2 packs and one of the packs chain silencing. The final boss in Nexus was fairly original. But, I won't ruin it. I'm not sure that Beacon of light is currently working for paladins or not, it didn't seem to do anything. BoL was taken out of the game, but this is for the better because they just added the bonus of BoL to your heals.

Salvation in its current context was removed to this is ftl. Now "hand of salvation" reduces aggro by 2% every second for 10 seconds. It's pretty garbage imo. However, our kara geared tank didn't have trouble keeping aggro off 2 BT geared hunters who didn't feign.

I have not gotten the chance to do Lake Wintergrasp or anything like that. /Hope for premade characters soon. I've also noticed that players wearing LK Arena set 1 have around 20k health.

Pretty much if you enjoy PvE WoW's still got it and WoTLK seems to be so much better then TBC's.

Warhammer:

All the textures aren't currently in Warhammer. You have to force AA/AF through gpu control panel. In further the game looks wise is pretty good, not AoC good looking but none the less good.

The next thing you notice is combat is slower then WoWs. In pvp you aren't going to be kited to death, sheeped for an entire fight, or stunlocked, etc. A few classes have minor CC's. Tank classes get a knockdown and the sorceress that I rolled gets a frost nova of sorts. It however has a 50% chance to break on damage.

Classes are indeed unique. The Sorceress builds up dark power as you cast. At 100% DP your crit chance is increased by 50%, and you have +100% critical damage. However, you also increase your spell backlash chance by 50% so you do take damage. Taking 200 damage for every nuke is a heavy cost in some situations.

That being said you get a spell to dump all this dark power, it does about 100 damage at full DP. PvP in the game is not a CC fest I can't describe how much fun that is. At level 1 you can queue for non-Open instanced RvR, while you don't have all the moves you do get Bolster which increases your health and such to be more on the level of people you are fighting.

Terrain can be used as an advantage in this game. All terrain not just running in circles around pillars, although I have seen it. There is no gigantic burst damage in this game, spells and such aren't an RNG fest like wow is. In PvP you need to calculate moves more because of this.

At 10 you get a morale move. The sorceress's main cast is around 200 damage, and 450-550 crits. This morale move is an instant cast for 400 damage but you have to build morale to get it (killing & damage). It is also on a one minute CD.

Public Quests are like a god send these are fun if you can get a party. You also get rep rewards when you get high enough.

Renown (think old wow pvp system) - As you level renown you get more gear and renown points. These renown points are for things like resistances, etc.

You also get regular level talent points starting at 11. Similar to WoW talent trees.

Bottom line: If people play RvR (Instanced and Open) is going to make this game extremely fun and worthwhile. If not alot of people play the game is going to be average to above average at best.

Some screens:
warhammer.jpg

warhammer2.jpg

warhammer3.jpg

I usually explain it to wow players as "Imagine if the world were one huge Alteric Valley style battleground and the entire game built around that concept"

I'm not sure whether i like the chicken debuff yet. I hit level 12 and became too high for some zones so I couldn't finish my quests. I'm really OCD about finishing quests and not having to delete them.

Alterac Valley sucks hardcore next to RvR, from what I've heard.

Those screanshots with AA/AF? Tough to tell. They're not the nicest I've seen from WAR, but they're considerably better than most of the screenies I've seen.

WoW's terribad PvP development and expansion + the bigwigs keeping Tom Chilton (Kalgan) in charge of "PvP balance" = why I won't be playing WotLK. "Fool me once, etc, etc". Chilton is a chowderhead who almost single-handedly ruined the PvP in this game (for me, at least).

-S

World of Raidcraft never had real pvp to begin with. When it was left as an open sandbox though I had a lot of fun pushing people all the way back to TM and taking their town or trying to run them out of ours. If blizzard would have taken what we started naturally and developed it, the game could have been great. Instead we got standardized instance PVP :(

I am hoping Warhammer goes back and catches that element but I wont know until I am max level and get a feel for the end game. Atleast I had fun luring people into crossbow range over the open beta.

Awesome writeup!

I've been debating for some time if I want to pay subscription to both games when they are released or only WOW. I don't know if I'd even have enough time to play both games honestly. This writeup definitely makes me want to try out WAR though, thanks for your opinions.

Several questions about WoW for the OP (because I did play WoW to lvl70 and liked both the game and the exapnsion)

Is there any end game in WoW WoTLK other than standard dueling PvP and grinding dungeons for better gear?

I'm not being funny but once I hit 70 in WoW I lost all interest, the moment I was told to get lost because I didn't have good enough gear to run the end game dungeons was when i realised that I'd have to grind X amount to play Y amount, and a game asking a player to do that is BAD, I want to play and have fun, not grind.

The good thing about WAR is that it has the RvR system which is probably about 1/2 the game world from what I can make out so far, there's plenty of fun to be had and since there's a proper sustainable end game it doesn't need to make you grind for hours in order to give you access to the content, you just play and have fun.

I'll be honest, I know very little about WoTLK but I'm wondering if they've fixed all that crap and given it a proper end game?

WoTLK isn't out yet, but from what I've seen the "endgame" is still grinding a tier set so you can grind another tier set.

WoTLK isn't out yet, but from what I've seen the "endgame" is still grinding a tier set so you can grind another tier set.

Am I the only one who see's what's wrong with this?

Don't get me wrong I loved the adventure from 1 to 70 in WoW but guys...either re-roll when you get there and try out other races and classes, or just quit.

This grind for gear is senseless!

Depends on why you play WoW (or any other MMO for that matter). I don't play to be "the best" or have the absolute best gear. Aint gonna happen, as i don't have the time for that. I play to have fun with friends. Some real life, some met online.

To me THAT is what an MMO is all about. Playing with other people.

Heck, as broken as AoC was, i was still having fun playing with my buds. When they stopped playing, so did i.

Several questions about WoW for the OP (because I did play WoW to lvl70 and liked both the game and the exapnsion)

Is there any end game in WoW WoTLK other than standard dueling PvP and grinding dungeons for better gear?

I'm not being funny but once I hit 70 in WoW I lost all interest, the moment I was told to get lost because I didn't have good enough gear to run the end game dungeons was when i realised that I'd have to grind X amount to play Y amount, and a game asking a player to do that is BAD, I want to play and have fun, not grind.

The good thing about WAR is that it has the RvR system which is probably about 1/2 the game world from what I can make out so far, there's plenty of fun to be had and since there's a proper sustainable end game it doesn't need to make you grind for hours in order to give you access to the content, you just play and have fun.

I'll be honest, I know very little about WoTLK but I'm wondering if they've fixed all that crap and given it a proper end game?

Well you still have your standard endgame. You have heroic dungeons, every raid is getting a 10 and 25 man version. The 10 man is going to be about .5 tier gear level behind the 25 man.

Then you have still the honor farmfest that is Instanced pvp. You have arena which will still be a druid pillar hump fest. It's okay though, pvp is getting band-aided again. Lastly you have Lake Wintergrasp which is for all intensive purposes Warhammer Lite. It's only one zone and in War pvp seems to be the primary focus.

Also, in warhammer you have a pvp system thats more closely related to pre-tbc rank system although this is more experience based then there can only be one grand marshal at a time.

Alterac Valley sucks hardcore next to RvR, from what I've heard.

Those screanshots with AA/AF? Tough to tell. They're not the nicest I've seen from WAR, but they're considerably better than most of the screenies I've seen.

WoW's terribad PvP development and expansion + the bigwigs keeping Tom Chilton (Kalgan) in charge of "PvP balance" = why I won't be playing WotLK. "Fool me once, etc, etc". Chilton is a chowderhead who almost single-handedly ruined the PvP in this game (for me, at least).

-S

AV is just a made rush to the boss and cap towers along the way. It's not really RvR at all.

The screens are with forced 8/8, no Multi or super-sampling. I tried to go 16/16 or 8/16, something like that with super-sampaling on and i got about 15 fps. On current settings game runs like a dream. Screens are also shrunk as I play on a 22" widescreen monitor. I'll post more tonight with some more forced settings.

I'm not sure whether i like the chicken debuff yet. I hit level 12 and became too high for some zones so I couldn't finish my quests. I'm really OCD about finishing quests and not having to delete them.

You can finish your quests, you just can't be flagged for RvR or enter RvR zones.

You know I've always accepted the grind for rep and gear at 70 because I never had any other game like this to go play. Just like we all spent hours and hours killing dragons in everquest to gear out our guild. If I could just have the challenge and fun of instances without worrying about the loot that would be pretty damn fun...

Well you still have your standard endgame. You have heroic dungeons, every raid is getting a 10 and 25 man version. The 10 man is going to be about .5 tier gear level behind the 25 man.

Then you have still the honor farmfest that is Instanced pvp. You have arena which will still be a druid pillar hump fest. It's okay though, pvp is getting band-aided again. Lastly you have Lake Wintergrasp which is for all intensive purposes Warhammer Lite. It's only one zone and in War pvp seems to be the primary focus.

Also, in warhammer you have a pvp system thats more closely related to pre-tbc rank system although this is more experience based then there can only be one grand marshal at a time.

So basically no decent end game, fantastic.

And what is the WAR end game? Because I suspect its still going to be another grind fest, otherwise a lot of people would not see a reason to play. Unless you think people would keep logging n and playing every day just to win some RvR scenarios with no reward.

Also does WAR have PVE raid content?

And what is the WAR end game? Because I suspect its still going to be another grind fest, otherwise a lot of people would not see a reason to play.

as far as I know yes it has PvE raid dungeons, but the best end-game (best gear) is from raiding the enemy city
and capturing their leading. Once you get to the city it becomes instanced allowing groups of 75 to raid the city (Pug or organized) and kill 2 high up poeple and capture the king/leader

its basicly a giant 75man PQ where top contributers have the best chance of winning loot, but anyone can win.

And what is the WAR end game? Because I suspect its still going to be another grind fest, otherwise a lot of people would not see a reason to play. Unless you think people would keep logging n and playing every day just to win some RvR scenarios with no reward.

WAR end game is a push/pull fight through the tier4 levels doing RvR, Scenarios, Public Quests, raids and PvE to advance your battlefront and open up the Public quests and scenarios in your enemy areas, then push for their master keeps, once they fall you push for the enemy city which you can sack and burn which opens up several large public quests and if you can complete them, then opens up a fight with the enemy king.

Most of this is RvR based although you can congtribute to the progress by doing almost any kind of fighting, including PvE, RvR, PQ, Scenarios and raids/dungeons.

Essentially it's a cross between WoW's game style and planetsides PvP system, it's built from the ground up to be large scale PvP or RvR, people fighting each other in very large groups.

its basicly a giant 75man PQ where top contributers have the best chance of winning loot, but anyone can win.

75 seems a little dissapointing, i was hoping the city fights would be at least 100+

Oh well, cant judge how fun it is until you've been in one :)

Although I may be a PVE soloer/small grouper... I'm looking forward to diving deeper into the storyline, quests & gear of WotLK. WAR really doesn't interest me at the moment unless it shows itself to be a rich gaming experience.

Although I may be a PVE soloer/small grouper... I'm looking forward to diving deeper into the storyline, quests & gear of WotLK. WAR really doesn't interest me at the moment unless it shows itself to be a rich gaming experience.
His write-up was right... WoW has the PVE.

But, I feel more immersed in WAR than I do in WoW. I really do feel like I am taking part in a huge war, and the fact that my actions can help change the world? Awesomely immersive.

Question: What happens if a city gets ransacked? Do they just have to try and take it back? Im guessing they might get bonuses to help them? It seems like either one faction of a server will get demolished completely, or both sides sit unmoved.

Wow, you think WoW has a more engaging storyline than WAR? I used to spend the time reading all the quest lines and such in WoW, however it just feels like a bunch of children's books stapled together, and the game world does not have much consistency or a sense of urgency at all. If you want to see evidence of this, look at Shattrath where they stapled a few sentences togthers and tada! Horde and Alliance can not hold hands in Shattrath. The biggest city in Outland is a giant care bear zone with horde and alliance making cookies and dancing :rolleyes:

Hrm...I think PQ will dominate whatever PvE WoTLK brings out, and the tome with all the info in it leading through quests which span whole tiers and chapters, I'm guessing will be a lot better based on what little i've played so far.

Cities get ransacked, from what I've read that opens up public quests there which once you've dispatched with the guards etc you can do the public quests etc, I think theres a set time limit for staying in the city before everything is reset back to neutral (the whole tier)

'm not sure functionally how thats done, im guessing people are just ejected out the city much like the way a scenario is ended, someone else who played in the closed beta will need to confirm.

Warhammer lore: http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer.asp

Warcraft lore: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/index.html

Start reading some of us have 20 years on you in WAR lore.
:D

Seriously though there is a story there. WoW quests/lore I gave up on when Aliens crash landed on the Azeroth and Death Knights became a Gnomish Alliance class. Warcrafts story line has become the whore to Blizz's Pimp.

Wrench & ocellaris,

When I speak of storyline... I'm talking about the novels & other media that have built up the Warcraft universe. WoW may not have all of it intertwined into the grand scheme but I enjoy the capacity to see some of it being played out in the game itself. Richard Knaak & Christie Golden have some of the best written novels for the series. If anything, I apply the knowledge from reading the stories & observe WoW which a deeper understanding that some random dolt that runs around thinking that the quest stories are just sentences tied together. Using the game plus the novels helps a lot more for me to enjoy it but Blizz kills a lot of my interest with raiding & other miscellaneous crap.

In terms of Warhammer's storyline... I didn't discount it. I was talking about gameplay, which I'll have to weigh & balance by playing WAR for a bit to see what I think. I may wind up reading Warhammer novels at some point & I do realize that it has been out a lot longer than the alternate. Even W40K seems extremely interesting to me. WAR might be the redemption of MMO gameplay that WoW has shot to the ground for me. The jury is still out, in a matter of speaking, for me to love online gaming again.

Wrench & ocellaris,

When I speak of storyline... I'm talking about the novels & other media that have built up the Warcraft universe. WoW may not have all of it intertwined into the grand scheme but I enjoy the capacity to see some of it being played out in the game itself. Richard Knaak & Christie Golden have some of the best written novels for the series. If anything, I apply the knowledge from reading the stories & observe WoW which a deeper understanding that some random dolt that runs around thinking that the quest stories are just sentences tied together. Using the game plus the novels helps a lot more for me to enjoy it but Blizz kills a lot of my interest with raiding & other miscellaneous crap.

In terms of Warhammer's storyline... I didn't discount it. I was talking about gameplay, which I'll have to weigh & balance by playing WAR for a bit to see what I think. I may wind up reading Warhammer novels at some point & I do realize that it has been out a lot longer than the alternate. Even W40K seems extremely interesting to me. WAR might be the redemption of MMO gameplay that WoW has shot to the ground for me. The jury is still out, in a matter of speaking, for me to love online gaming again.

Alright that sounds good then. I have read some of the Warcraft books (like just when someone gives me the book and tells me to read a few chapters) and it is nice that they try to maintain storylines and such within the game. I do think there is a lot of good story content in there, its just some of the more ridiculous things that crumble that fantasy world for me a bit

I definitely agree. There are a lot of things in WoW that ruin the grittiness of the Warcraft universe as a whole. The novels are rarely silly like many quests & events that the game shows.

I don't think a lot of WoW players think WoW is getting worse and worse, they just need something new like WAR. If you've been playing a game 3+ years..you're going to be tired of it no matter how much updates they do.

As a world of warcraft player, i think Wotlk will be more interesting than War.

This is where you lose me. Honestly, once you get past the giddy "zomg we're getting something new" phase, you realize what a steaming pile of crap they're trying to push over on the userbase. WotLK does not look good at all, imo.

Additionally, since late March Devs have responding to customer issues by saying "yes, we know xxxx is an issue and we're working on it, but it probably won't be fixed until WotLK". They hold over fixes to long-running issues as "new content", forcing you to buy their expansion. Woo hoo!

"Please sir...can I have another?"

It will still be a success, of course, because a) by and large WoW players are too stupid or too addicted to notice/care how bad it sucks, or b) because there are enough players who have quit who will return "just to check it out" that the expansion will easily pay for itself on top of doing good things for subscription rates.

I played WoW until May, when the video card died. A month later, (once the addiction subsided and I had gained some perspective), I realized that the game had pretty much been sucking for a long time now. The expansion looks like more of the same.

I confess, I'll re-up for one month once the new rig is built. I need to talk with old guildies and online buddies whose contact info I don't have outside of the game, draft some people into a WAR guild, and see some of the Sunwell T6 stuff that wasn't in the game when I stopped playing. But I'm drawing the line there. I can't PvP in this game anymore, and PvE has long been stale and repetitive. I'd support a PvP/RvR-focussed game that I can enjoy while they work to expand PvE than play as PvE labrats while Blizz pays Tom Chilton to fuck up WoW PvP more.

I refuse to reward Blizzard further for the craptacular job they've done in tBC and have no intention of paying them for the steaming pile of cow-dung they're trying to serve up in WotLK.

-S

I confess, I'll re-up for one month once the new rig is built.

I refuse to reward Blizzard further for the craptacular job they've done in tBC and have no intention of paying them for the steaming pile of cow-dung they're trying to serve up in WotLK.

-S

so which is it:confused:

As a world of warcraft player, i think Wotlk will be more interesting than War.

I think this is along the same lines of "As a Super Mario Bros. player, Super Mario 3 will be more interesting than Sonic The Hedgehog 2". Some people are tired of WoW, some people never got into WoW in the first place. Wait it out and see what happens... I just wish there was a public preview event or something so I could at least get a feel for the game without pre-ordering something I might detest.

Very helpful write up, thank you.

I'm definitely going to try WAR, i'm curious and i need to expand my MMO horizons (played eve and wow) a bit. It looks cool, and pretty, and sounds interesting.

I will be grabbing WoTLK, more or less for the story. I want to see how things end up with Arthas and what not. I know the pvp will suck, i know raiding will have unique boss fights but will be more or less the same, i know those crazy hardcore people will rape me when i'm farming, but I love my guild and everyone in it, and thats the main reason i play.

We still do fun shit, like raiding darkshire in Blue Overalls, Leather Hats wielding Pitchforks and Brooms. Its great fun.

Am I the only one who see's what's wrong with this?

Don't get me wrong I loved the adventure from 1 to 70 in WoW but guys...either re-roll when you get there and try out other races and classes, or just quit.

This grind for gear is senseless!

Um, you're not grinding for gear. You're trying to get 25 people coordinated enough to kill a boss. When we kill a boss for the first time the first reaction isn't "OMG what loot did we get!" It's "hell yea, we killed him." If you raid for gear then that's your problem. You should be getting gear to raid.

Um, you're not grinding for gear. You're trying to get 25 people coordinated enough to kill a boss. When we kill a boss for the first time the first reaction isn't "OMG what loot did we get!" It's "hell yea, we killed him." If you raid for gear then that's your problem. You should be getting gear to raid.

The % of people who get gear to raid, and not the other way around, is ridiculously small.
Best evidence for this is how really awesome zones, which are still challenging, are virtually empty. Naxx is better than Karazhan hands down, but as long as karazhan has better gear, and, more importantly, the badges, people will stick to kara and not naxx.

I really liked the concept of Mount Hyjal, but I still think that BWL, Onyxia and Naxx are about the best things in wow, and as much fun as Ive ever had in the game. At least they are revamping naxx for wotlk .

I personally know how that is. For a while I went insane with WoW. It is very easy to get addicted and lose track of things. Spent a lot of time looking for upgrades in wowhead, really got into the whole "raid progression" thing- at least till the 2 other officers in my guild and I had a falling out because I noticed they were manipulation DKP...

If only it were that fun after the 23rd time =(

Raiding to raid and raiding for gear are pretty synonymous as you can't do one without the other.

From what ive played Warhammer is a much richer experience, almost exclusively because of the Tome of Knowledge. Every enemy you encounter, each area u come across, each public quest you get can be read about in detail in the tome. You even unlock stories and such as you go along, some of them are pretty good. This is on top of getting Titles, achievements, xp and tactics from it as well.

Ive only played to lvl 13 in war, as opposed to my 70 in Burning crusade, but the start area ive played through is much more interesting and there is much more to do and get in WAR.

The more I read, the more likely I'll give it a go. Warhammer does seem to have a very rich world to it & WAR looks to have inherited the depth for better gameplay through it.

As a raider I will be sticking with wow. What I enjoy most in the game is being challenged, having something that seems impossible at first but with perfect execution it can be overcome. To me sunwell proved that blizzard can still develop great boss encounters that push everyone to the limit without making them unbeatable. It is the pinnacle of raid design(minus the stacking issues) even better than naxx was imo.

Ofcourse raiding is not everyone's cup of tea, it takes time and dedication that alot of folks can not give and thats fine. Though farming requirements are quite low now a days, and they will become even lower in wrath.

On a side note I did have a chance to try out war for a little bit the other day but i was never really drawn in. To me ,first impressions of a game are very important. The starting zone just didn't seem to have that polish and shine that is really needed for me to become interested initially. I am sure the game is good fun later but from my experience early on I could not make that correlation. A recent good example of this would be AOC the first 20 levels where extremely polished and alot of fun, it is a shame they did not maintain that level of quality throughout the rest of the game.

As a raider I will be sticking with wow. What I enjoy most in the game is being challenged, having something that seems impossible at first but with perfect execution it can be overcome. To me sunwell proved that blizzard can still develop great boss encounters that push everyone to the limit without making them unbeatable. It is the pinnacle of raid design(minus the stacking issues) even better than naxx was imo.

By any chance have you done Kil Jaedan? Because that fight take the whole "perfect execution" thing a bit too far :eek: I think Kalecgos, Brutallus, and Felmyst are well designed. Felmyst is likely my favorite encounters in any MMO game. Then Twin is stupid since most guilds do the "everyone stand in this one exact spot" strat to kill it. M'uru is kinda fun too. But Kil Jaedan... Ugh :(:(:(

Back