• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wanted good tiny 2.0 computer speakers!

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 22, 2001
Messages
12,366
What are the best tiniest speakers I can get for my computer?

Currently I am just using the speakers that are built into the lcd screen which suck.

I barely have any room for speakers and no room for a subwoofer. What is my best bet? They need to be small enough to fit under the lcd screen.
 
Get some nice quality headphones they are way better than small 2.0 speakers.
 
How small is small enough? Unless you have at least like 3.5" of height, I think you're SOL as far as decent sound goes. And you're not going to get crap for stereo separation that way.
 
You could get a bose wave radio and use the audio in feature. I bought one of the MP3 wave models, man it's amazing. It has a little bit of that equalized sound, but for the size it's amazing...the tonal balance is perfect down at like 35-50 hz and up, it gets loud and it will produce bass that caries all the way across my back yard when I use it on my porch.

Then again...you might not like the price and you wont find many people selling used ones.
 
BBA said:
You could get a bose wave radio and use the audio in feature. I bought one of the MP3 wave models, man it's amazing. It has a little bit of that equalized sound, but for the size it's amazing...the tonal balance is perfect down at like 35-50 hz and up, it gets loud and it will produce bass that caries all the way across my back yard when I use it on my porch.

:eek: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH bose wave radio Hahahahhahahahahhahahha

Man, its one thing to be a soccer mom that doesn't know any better and gets Bose but to recommend the wave radio of all things.
 
well shit.. those hello kitty speakers are hot. i think i'll pick up a pair next time i visit best buy (for my sister of course)




:D
 
BBA said:
You could get a bose wave radio and use the audio in feature. I bought one of the MP3 wave models, man it's amazing. It has a little bit of that equalized sound, but for the size it's amazing...the tonal balance is perfect down at like 35-50 hz and up, it gets loud and it will produce bass that caries all the way across my back yard when I use it on my porch.

Then again...you might not like the price and you wont find many people selling used ones.

he could also shoot himself.

each option sucks.
 
i have those klipsch promedia 2.0, if u look on ebay they got for about $50 new, i recommend them, the sound is amazing for a 2.0 system
 
Svperstar said:
:eek: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH bose wave radio Hahahahhahahahahhahahha

Man, its one thing to be a soccer mom that doesn't know any better and gets Bose but to recommend the wave radio of all things.


So you have never had one?

Lets do a challenge...you find any 2.0 mini speaker you can...bring them over to my house and lets compare them.

Put up or shut up...all I can say here.
 
BBA said:
So you have never had one?
Lets do a challenge...you find any 2.0 mini speaker you can...bring them over to my house and lets compare them.
Put up or shut up...all I can say here.

Okay, where's the technical specifications on the Bose Wave? Funny, there aren't any. Sure, there's dimensions, and weight, but no documented frequency response. None at all.
Funny, that's a normal specification for most speakers and sound systems. Computer speakers are usually around 75Hz to 20kHz.

My B-G ribbon tweeters have a documented frequency response; 2,000Hz to 28kHz.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-735
If I wanted to do microdrivers, I could use B-G Neo8's providing 500-20kHz. It's a little weak on the bass, but acceptable.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-712

The Bose Wave? Come on. Literally, the physics state that it can't have decent bass response. And you're gonna tell me dinky little Bose speakers with no stated frequency response would be superior to Neo8's in sealed housings? And no, it's not just the Wave. Bose doesn't state freq response for the $1,400 901 Series VI either.
Come on. Bose is just snakeoil.
 
BBA said:
So you have never had one?

Lets do a challenge...you find any 2.0 mini speaker you can...bring them over to my house and lets compare them.

Put up or shut up...all I can say here.

Oh dear jesus. YES, yes I have heard a Bose wave radio with its amazing technology which is over 100 years old. The informercials were really impressive when I was 12 I must admit. Funny how they have been advertising it since what, 1991? Yet it maintains this awesome technology which no other speak manufacture can touch. Please.

Bose only sounds good if your point of reference is your stock deck in your minivan or a $100 Walmart boombox.
 
I can tell you for definitely sure the Wave MP3 has almost an octave lower response than the original wave. If it does not produce 50 HZ to 16KHz damn near flat I wouldn't be posting this, but it does, or at least sounds like it does. Indoors AND outdoors. I know of NO ONE who has listened to it who was not amazed. The bass is the most impressive part.

I have B&W DM502 speakers. I have Celestion DL-10 speakers. I have a 300w 12" sub with a sunfire amp. The bose does not sound as good as my listening stereo, or my theatre system, but it sounds better than any other mini-compact system I have ever heard. But, I will say in some aspects, it sounds more evenly balanced than my high dollar systems.

I can absolutely without hesitation say it sounds better than ANY 2.0 style PC speaker made, but yes, the wave is expensive. But in terms of what you get...well, five years down the road I still plan on being able to listen to this $500 radio while my $700 video card will be in a junk bin, so in terms of lifespan, it's a pretty good deal.
 
I could recommend a tinny set of speakers, but if you want anything that sounds decent they won't be tiny.
 
Hvatum said:
I could recommend a tinny set of speakers, but if you want anything that sounds decent they won't be tiny.
Right...............So yeah, i say clear off some space and get just a little bit better, the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 are very good for what they are, a 2.0 system. But the Bose Wave "DOES" sound pretty good, my dentest has one in her office, and it puts out a very clear crisp sound, with very good bass as to how small it is. Then one day, i got to test out a v2 series and it was very good also, and i am sure the MP3 one is even better, but i mean, if you could even find a v1 one, that would be great! And for those people accusing this, I agree most heartily when it comes to Bose's HT and Computer speakers (they are overpriced junk), but this is the ONE thing they got right! and yes it is still a little pricey, but man, its worth it, and i have NEVER EVER seen ANYONE else put out a product even remote;y similer to this one, not even comparible. But thats just my 2 cents................
 
BBA said:
I can tell you for definitely sure the Wave MP3 has almost an octave lower response than the original wave. If it does not produce 50 HZ to 16KHz damn near flat I wouldn't be posting this, but it does, or at least sounds like it does. Indoors AND outdoors. I know of NO ONE who has listened to it who was not amazed. The bass is the most impressive part.

And what are you basing this on. Your ears alone?
Like I said; snakeoil. And a load of crap. Buddy of mine got suckered into Blose, and his number one complaint is the complete lack of range and response at the low-end.
Not to mention, I've never heard of B&W DM502's, nor have I heard them. Bowers & Wilkins website also shows no such speaker. However, I've heard Celestion DL10's, which makes your logic beyond suspect. The DL10's have weak low response. Very weak. The speakers you're talking about are also not half as high end as you seem to think. The DL10's when new cost less than many of the DIY kits I've seen.

Now granted, I'm sure as hell not gonna recommend Orions to the OP. But I'm also not gonna recommend crap from Blose. Nor am I gonna recommend building his own - even though it virtually garauntees better quality and response than most mass-market stuff.
Then again, throwing together two MDF boxes for these would be about the same size and a lot cheaper than the Blose.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-808
:D

Anyways, I have yet to see anyone give the best advice that can be given regarding buying speakers; YMMV. Always will, always does. I like a flat response from 100-28kHz. You might like more low end grunt or more top end. You might find the most expensive speakers out there are tinny to your ears. Listening is subjective. I'm not saying the recommendations are bad - except Blose - but try and find a way to actually listen to the speakers folks are recommending before making a purchasing desicion. Buyer's Remorse SUCKS.
If it wasn't for the space restrictions, I really would likely recommend buying a DIY kit from somewhere, because that's the best you can possibly get. You can get speakers that sound exactly the way you want. But trying to engineer tiny boxes is well beyond my experience, and certainly not something I recommend trying for your first project. (Well, unless you're doing ribbons, but that's a bit pricey and a half.)
 
all in all we all know everything about bose, "no highs no lows ... must be bose"
and with that mentality I got a bit set back when I heard the old gen Bose Companion on my friends office desk. The amount of sound they could put out was impressive, though lacking in the highs, the vocalcs and bass came through pretty nicely. Some music did not come through with all the bells and whistles, but some tracks would grab you off guard and you'll be saying W T F! that cant be!

If it were 2.0 system, limited space, even tho the bose are not SMALL but smaller than a pair of swan's at least, I think I'd deal with it. I wasn't impressed with the Klipsh ProMedia 2.0 for 99bux, though I heard em at bestbuy with a lot of people and background noise all around. I'd like someone to compare the companion 2's to the Promedia 2.0s with normal music, not something bass/treble heavy like rap. See whom wins.
 
AreEss said:
And what are you basing this on. Your ears alone?
Like I said; snakeoil. And a load of crap. Buddy of mine got suckered into Blose, and his number one complaint is the complete lack of range and response at the low-end.
Not to mention, I've never heard of B&W DM502's, nor have I heard them. Bowers & Wilkins website also shows no such speaker. However, I've heard Celestion DL10's, which makes your logic beyond suspect. The DL10's have weak low response. Very weak. The speakers you're talking about are also not half as high end as you seem to think. The DL10's when new cost less than many of the DIY kits I've seen.

Now granted, I'm sure as hell not gonna recommend Orions to the OP. But I'm also not gonna recommend crap from Blose. Nor am I gonna recommend building his own - even though it virtually garauntees better quality and response than most mass-market stuff.
Then again, throwing together two MDF boxes for these would be about the same size and a lot cheaper than the Blose.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-808
:D

Anyways, I have yet to see anyone give the best advice that can be given regarding buying speakers; YMMV. Always will, always does. I like a flat response from 100-28kHz. You might like more low end grunt or more top end. You might find the most expensive speakers out there are tinny to your ears. Listening is subjective. I'm not saying the recommendations are bad - except Blose - but try and find a way to actually listen to the speakers folks are recommending before making a purchasing desicion. Buyer's Remorse SUCKS.
If it wasn't for the space restrictions, I really would likely recommend buying a DIY kit from somewhere, because that's the best you can possibly get. You can get speakers that sound exactly the way you want. But trying to engineer tiny boxes is well beyond my experience, and certainly not something I recommend trying for your first project. (Well, unless you're doing ribbons, but that's a bit pricey and a half.)

You know...I get the impression your completely oblivious to anything but your own opinion. I guess that since you found parts express you have seen the holy grail? (I've been buying from parts express for 6 years, and madisound for over 21 years, used to be my business building speakers for crutchfield and audiophile in Jacksonville)

If hearing is believing...you really need to hear the wave music. Other than that...either take my word for it or shut up because your 'experience' is not very much and you are really just talking out of your rear end about this one.
 
I picked up a Saitek set the other day for $52 at Circuitcity. It's short with a single driver for each channel, and an integrated 3" sub. Yea, I know, a 3" sub, what can that do? Single 1 inch drivers, am I kidding? - no.

The system sounds pretty decent. I have a pretty good 2.1 Creative system and the Saitek come pretty close. Their main selling factor is the small size and portableness of it, but I bought it just b/c it was randomly on sale. I didn't expect it to sound this good, but it does. I brought it home, hooked it up, and within 10 minutes I was heading out with my roommate because he wanted one too.

Back to my point... the Saitek A-250 has a small integrated "sub", but it pumps out impressive sound for the unit's size.
 
Why can't you guys take your arguments over Bose to PM's and just help IceDigger out? Geez...

If you can get the Klipstech 2.0's for $50 off of ebay, they look like your best bet, unless they are still way too big for your application. I listened to a set at BB the other day and they sounded good. If you go to BB, then you can also ckeck out the Altec Lansings and they Logitechs. Best thing to do is listen to them before you order a set.
 
I listened to the Klipsch 2.0's as well. For the price...ok, but not for the sound, IMO.
 
Back
Top