want to build more D!!! but have Q?

mq6600

n00b
Ok sooo...since it is getting hotter here in sunny Florida the AC will be on most of the time and my power bill will be higher as well.
This is then the best opportunity to build a few dedicated machines over the hotter months then deploy during the winter.

My questions right now are:
What is the wattage of a Sandy Bridge ( god that's such a weird name) setup around 4.5-4.9Ghz folding bigadv?

What is the best bang for the buck GPU for F@H-both ppd and power wise?( Most would argue that GPU units aren't worth it anymore with bigadv around but hey....science is science it's got to be done)

I'll list more questions as i thinks of them.

Thanks
Max

I think the 450's are about as good as the ppd/w goes

As far as the SB rig, I think CPU only the pull about 200-250 depending on OC and goodies in the rig. Add a GPU and it starts to go up from their.

If your going to try and max the ppd, keep the GPUs out of the -bigadv rigs.

best bang for the buck is cpu folding. if power/heat is a concern stay away from gpu folding. build a couple SB rigs with some cheap p67 motherboards and overclock them to 4.8Ghz with an H50 with dual fans. should keep the temps down and keep you from having to run the AC so much.

I think the end goal is to have the bigadv rigs working year round and run the GPU rigs during the winter for heat( i know it sounds funny but my ac unit is a 5Kw beast...... aaahhhh apartment dwellings). but your right power and heat are my main concerns as i dont want to piss the Mrs off, good thing is she understands my addiction and it helps that I bribed her with a new canon 7d.

BTW... wattage on the SB @4.4 is like 150w +/- 10. Trick to keep low power... Linux installation, then pull the GPU.

I don't have a SB desktop chip but my Xeon E3-1230 (2600k equivalent) is pulling 110W or so from the wall with three HDD spinning in Ubuntu headless. (Running WCG)

wow i think you guys are converting me to a smp folder and the numbers are looking good- 120k-150k ppd for under 600w not bad.

wow i think you guys are converting me to a smp folder and the numbers are looking good- 120k-150k ppd for under 600w not bad.

That is very easy. Both the dual 6164 HE and dual 6166HE rigs I have in FS are folding under 220w each right now using Seasonic 650w gold PSUs. On 6901's they do a combined 190K-210K ppd at ~440w... both have IPMI 2.0 w/ KVM-over-IP and one has quad Intel NICs and the other triple NICs + a LSI SAS2008 controller so not totally stripped down boards even for power purposes.

That is very easy. Both the dual 6164 HE and dual 6166HE rigs I have in FS are folding under 220w each right now using Seasonic 650w gold PSUs. On 6901's they do a combined 190K-210K ppd at ~440w... both have IPMI 2.0 w/ KVM-over-IP and one has quad Intel NICs and the other triple NICs + a LSI SAS2008 controller so not totally stripped down boards even for power purposes.
If I didn't owe a bundle to the IRS I'd be very tempted ....

H.

Back