want buy new P4 Mboard Socket 478 :any ideas where to buy?

whiskeykid

n00b
A friend had his Asus P4P800deluxeE mother board stop posting , after some poor diagnosis on my part I picked up a new proc for it and after install STILL no post, found ram stick is bad and it posts now. I have a 2 old year proc.[Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80 GHz
I want to use the old proc we removed for a simple gamer setup rather than toss it . Is there any thoughts about where to find a new Mboard to fit it ?The only place I found for same m-board is e-bay in china and tho new price was $140 they want $160 and up . any other alternative boards still available?willing to go any brand but can't find anything at Newegg and feel may be out of luck as this is being phased out , just want to throw a couple parts laying around together-but with out the m-board with at least a 8xagp graphics interface this dream will fall apart. any idea where to look for either a comparable m-board or a workaround where I don't have to toss the proc out?
Processor Specifications:
Bus Speed:800 MHz
SL6WJ
512 KB
2.8 GHz
478 pin
0.13 micron
Supported Features:
# Hyper-Threading Technology 1
thanx for any advice or help

Thanks for trying to help
but after registering at 3 sites to find austrailia wants to double {almost ] the price of board with shipping, and some canada sites won't take a USA based-Visa card now . and no-one in USA has them in stock . I checked the sites mentioned above best I could .
I am about to give up. I see pentium 3 boards and even more obsolete parts but P4 socket 478 boards with at least 8x apg like I bought 2 yrs ago are scarce and I won't allow the shipping to make it cost much more than a cheep 775 socket m-board. Thanx for trying give this dream wings , it almost flew! , den

Have you checked the For Sale/For Trade subforum here? There are a few people there who are barely getting rid of their 478 mobos. Also, check out craigslist as well.

I decided to make a lot of changes , drop the agp vid card and all but hard drives and proc and go with a newegg buy , I hadn't spotted it before even tho I had looked and took a shot.
BIOSTAR P4M900M4 478 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard and a gig of CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory...
So far the first pci express build was a breeze and with a rebate for the powercolor 1650 pro the whole upgrade was barely over $120.
The happy news is the proc we thought at first was dead on the old asus board has booted and ran solid for days at a time and games are playing with better frames than the APG - ati 9800 on his m-board and the 1950 pro on my APG board .
My experience so far is good, but still have never tryed a micro biuld and find it hard to expect it to last and be stable with all the parts scrunched together and it was cheeper than anything I have owned before .
The 1950 pro apg can't beat a 1650 pro chipset if it's in a PCIe slot and this factor will allow my friend to continue for a year maybe with at most a graphics card upgrade if it lasts for him .
I advised him to get a better job and be ready to skip this dual core year and buy into a quad core with pci2 MB- when he is ready to try to get a bit nearer the cutting edge later .
So thanks for helping my sound out possibilities before this experiment that is gonna drag ME into" pci express world" before the year ends instead of waiting a bit more to sqeeze all I could out of my apg slot . Thats the risk of learning about these infernal machines .

mATX boards are fine. If Shuttles can last years at a time then a mATX board in a standard case will be all good. My previous box (Athlon XP +2400) was on a mATX and it's still running (2-3 years later?), my current box is also a mATX and has been running solid for 5 months now.

Kevin

It games stable and seems to work fine . Only complaint is -to initialize a program seems to take a bit longer than my old asus p4p800e deluxe . Just a feeling, I haven't timed it . Just when I would have rebooted thinking program is crashed up pops the splash screen and once the game started the frame rates from fraps software was hovering around 40-60 frames most times with most settings on high for game of quake 4.So my budget $50 ati 1650 pro 512mg card seems to compair well in PCI slot with my old agp 1950 pro even tho I paid $175 more for the APG card .

Back