Wal-Mart Previews 'Disc to Digital' Movie Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright, let's hear it...would any of you actually use this service? Personally, I have a huge DVD collection (3,000+) and the majority have been ripped to my home media system. I couldn't imagine using the Walmart system or letting the stamp my DVDs either. :eek:

The new service allows movie fans to walk into any Walmart, where they can present their old DVDs and get permanent access to an online version of each movie that can be streamed from a home computer or a mobile device. The DVDs are stamped with a special ink to prevent further conversion. The DVDs, however, can still be played. Each DVD conversion costs as little as $2

Probably not a lot of us would, but I think it's a pretty innovative service and I think it may catch on if it's well implemented.

sounds pretty pointless too me, BLU-RAY offers this feature for free in most cases and 740x480 is dead :X

Not a good idea, I just rent what I want to see if it isn't on netflix. I have no real interest in watching many movies over and over.

And contrary to what some people believe, there is no actual conversion process. Some videos are available in digital format and many are not. Not every title applies.

So basically you pay them $2.00 to loose the ability to resell your disk. Well, I guess not.. The new user just would not be able to stream it via the walmart method.. What about competitors who do this? Is there a rule that says if vudu goes bankrupt you still can't rip it? seems like it is full of holes. I am just glad I am ripping my own stuff, and saving the $2.00.. Makes my purchase of AnyDVD well worth it :)

Just wait... Ill bet walmart will change the TOS so that you have to pay a monthly fee to access the content that you payed $2 to convert. This conversion is just bait to lure you in.

And contrary to what some people believe, there is no actual conversion process. Some videos are available in digital format and many are not. Not every title applies.

What he said. Nothing is being "converted". Its either already in the cloud, or it isn't.

Wouldn't a Disc Dr. remove the ink in any case? Or, more likely, plastic polish/brasso?

they need to make a database that people can search before heading to the store to purchase the digital versions.

I personally think it's a decent idea. I myself probably won't use the service though.

Seems super pointless, well at least this service. Most people in america have computers with dvd drives, so why not just get some freeware do it from your house and save yourself the hassle/money?

Because most people in America know almost nothing about their computer or what it can do.

Seems super pointless, well at least this service. Most people in america have computers with dvd drives, so why not just get some freeware do it from your house and save yourself the hassle/money?

It takes a lot time to rip a ton of DVDs and upload them to a cloud.

I was ripping DVDs when Divx was an underground name, and there's was a fast motion and a slow motion versions. It wasn't until 2pass was release that allowed you to get the same effect as combining two divx videos.

So no, they can keep their crummy service which puts a stamp on a DVD. So stupid that you pay for this.

I rip all my stuff before I watch, so THIS service is very pointless for me.

My epidemic right now is determining if I want a NAS or a Media Server somewhere.

I guess it's kinda cool for old people. But most people that'd want the digital format in the first place should be able to rip them and stream them themselves.

The main benefit is access to your content no matter where you are and what device you happen to have with you.
You can be at a friends house and access your library on their PC.
You can be out of town and want to watch something on your phone from your library.

I know you can do this yourself with your home PC running a streaming app, but that means that you need to have that machine on all the time, and then you are still limited by your providers upload speed.

what would be cool is if you were able to upload your DVD's to Netflix and have them store your content on your account so that you can access it anywhere.

*snicker* "A special stamp to prevent other conversion..." yeah kind of like the keys that say "do not duplicate"

if a dvd player can still read it, how will that stop a copier or dvd drive...

There are ways to stop 'digital' conversion. But if you allow analog conversion, there's no way to prevent copying.

Ie. this would likely prevent a straight DVD rip, but if you hooked a dvd player's output to an input that recorded rather than displayed, you'd be able to rip just fine.

I used to rent movies on Vudu until I found out they were owned by the major studios. Now I just rip my purchased content to my miniDLNA server.

I love the concept, but hate that it's Walmart doing it.

At least it's a step in the right direction, and I love that it's permanent access to the content through digital streaming. That's what I want. Digital renting so far has been extremely expensive compared to Redbox and local brick and mortar rental stores. Netflix is nice, but I'd rather pay for the content I want and then have access to it forever, like Steam is for games. At some point a company will convince Hollywood that it's what the public demands and that they are losing business to people (like me) who hate physical media for the amount of space it takes up. So despite liking movies enough to buy them, I rent to save space.

What would make a service like that even better would be to have permanent access to updates, so buying the 1080p version means I get access to the 4k version when that comes out in 10 years, etc. I would even pay more for movies (like $30-40). Right now I just wait until I can get one for $10, and even then I don't really buy anymore because of the whole space issue and the fact that my VHS was replaced and I had to re-buy in DVD, and now in Bluray. But permanent access to the best format, forever? I'm in.

What are you all using to rip your DVDs?

I'm looking for software that will allow me to convert my collection to digital for home and auto use.

I love the concept, but hate that it's Walmart doing it.

At least it's a step in the right direction, and I love that it's permanent access to the content through digital streaming. That's what I want. Digital renting so far has been extremely expensive compared to Redbox and local brick and mortar rental stores. Netflix is nice, but I'd rather pay for the content I want and then have access to it forever, like Steam is for games. At some point a company will convince Hollywood that it's what the public demands and that they are losing business to people (like me) who hate physical media for the amount of space it takes up. So despite liking movies enough to buy them, I rent to save space.
Permanent in what way? There's no guarantee this service will be offered indefinitely. Or the deal won't be altered.

Walmart may fall on hard times some day. So if Walmart needs to go bankrupt, what happens to your collection?

The other issue I have with this is when the cable goes out, I crack open the DVD's. If I use this service and the cable goes out, I'm hosed or eating up my data plan for full screen.

The only case I might consider this service is if I had a kid and he had videos I knew he would outgrow but I might want to stream them to a phone or tablet to entertain him from time to time. But there are cloud services that can accomplish the same thing without permanently surrendering my ability to make a proper backup.

Why not just run the DVD through a shredder & then hand the customer a ziplock baggie of plastic chips? Hopefully this program will have a very short life.

What are you all using to rip your DVDs?

I'm looking for software that will allow me to convert my collection to digital for home and auto use.

DVDFab (the free version) for the occassional DVD I have. Not too many of those...

MakeMKV for all my Blu-rays.

Ya know whats funny ? I bet you can find DVDs that are 99 cents that come with a digital version already - which would be less than the $2 price to convert to digital :p

Nevertheless, I'm with the other guy that said I was ripping DVDs when DIVX was underground name - this shit is 10x too late. Walmart is funny, and I hope they die in a fire.

Back