Wait for iPhone5 or get GS3?

that's why I keep my old blackberries around. they're over 5 years old and still hold a charge for days to a week.

Back in early 2006 I upgraded to a first gen Motorola Razr. I used it for a year and a half an then got a first gen iPhone a couple of months after launch. (that was later upgraded to an iPhone 3G, later an iPhone 4, and now a Galaxy S3)

Earlier this year my stepson's 1 year old phone died.

I dusted off the old Razr figuring it would be OK for a temporary phone.

I was amazed. Even after 7 years the damned thing still held two days worth of charge...

Mind... Blown...

He thought it was hilarious to have a 7 year old phone in like new condition. (I take care of my shit)

that's why I keep my old blackberries around. they're over 5 years old and still hold a charge for days to a week.

Yeah, like I mentioned I'm really kicking myself for donating my old Blackjack. It was a POS, but the battery still had a good charge and it would have worked as a temporary "phone only" device to get me by a couple more weeks.

I still have an old razr I think I saw in my boxes as I was packing up getting ready for a move next week. if I find it today I can send it to you

and google now is crap on a cracker
I haven't tried siri but I did ask who the president of the US was and of China and me and my gf got a kick out of it answering those questions correctly but everything else came up with as a google search entry

S3 will meet and exceed your needs, hands down. This is coming from a long time user of iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S)

=] you won't be disappointed.

apple is nothing but a giant patent trolling whore

well, maybe a step above that. While they are obviously not this huge innovation factory that they would like everyone to believe, they do promote some good, like higher rez screens for example. Yes, apple did not invent higher resolution but they certainly help popularize it to the extent that other manufacturers take notice.

apple = closed system and apple success = competitors will move to systems that are more closed off = consumer loses

apple = patent troll = stifled innovation (which given their history of ripping off the ideas of others and then popularizing them makes it seem like while patent trolling has obvious short term benefits, it doesn't look like a long time winner for the company).

last (and only) apple product i bought was an ipod nano like 7 years ago. purchase was a mistake that won't happen again.

patent trolls buy patents and sit on them without making anything to sell based on the patents and then sue anyone who possibly infringes on the patents they bought. apple patents things and then makes things based off those patents--totally different from a patent troll; even if you disagree with them suing companies they think violate their patents at least they make things based on their patents

Zarathustra[H];1039016543 said:
The phone indicates I have a strong signal, but the transfer speeds are horrendous, to the point of unusable. (been waiting 5-10 minutes for this damned web page to load, and now it timed out and I have to refresh it, type stuff)

To me this suggests that the towers provide sufficient wireless reception, but that the land lines providing the towers with data are overwhelmed.

YES! I have ATT as well and run into this problem whenever a lot of people are gathered in a small space (concerts, traffic on a highway, all of Manhattan, stuff like that). Like you, I figured that the tower gets overwhelmed and starts dropping data. I usually blame all the hipsters with iPhones :)D) but it's really ATT's crappy towers.

To the OP: I would wait. A lot of stuff is coming down the pipeline very soon, so unless you absolutely fall in love with something, hold off. You can always grab a pair of dumbphones to use in the interim - they're good to have around if your main phone goes kaput anyway.

patent trolls buy patents and sit on them without making anything to sell based on the patents and then sue anyone who possibly infringes on the patents they bought. apple patents things that that have already been created elsewhere and then makes things based off those patents--totally different from a patent troll; even if you disagree with them suing companies they think violate their patents at least they make things based on their patents

Corrected for you.

Yes, apple comes out with products for some of the things they patent. Perhaps patent system abuser would be a more technical term, as in abusing the patent system to grant them legal monopolies over ridiculous things. Legal? Apparently so. Sure, the system as a whole needs to be reformed so this can't happen. My hope is that google (because lets be honest, who else is a competitor?) grows some balls and busts out a can of whipa$$ on apple with all their motorola patents.

Still managing to hold out...

Just to throw out another option, how is Windows Phone now? My gut keeps telling me to stay clear after being burned in the past with Windows Mobile on a Samsung Blackjack and the AT&T Fuze. Both phones were horrible, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Anything major that Windows Phone provides that Android or IOS doesn't? Besides being another Microsoft product and my fear of them continuing to treat it like the "red headed stepchild" that they have in the past. Or the possibility of them just chucking the idea when it doesn't pan out like the Zune product line :(

Just got my S3 yesterday and so far it owns. Verizon LTE in my area (Indiana) is also pretty spectacular:

243547420.png

Voice dialing works just fine, directly on the phone and through my BTH, and tethering works very well, I test connected two tablets and a laptop and had them all downloading just fine while making a phone call, and I just tried data while on a call directly on the phone and it works just as if I weren't. Also, the S3 should be getting Jellybean before the end of the year.

I think windows phone has some potential, but I think it's worth waiting a generation or two before making an investment in one.

Last edited:
I think windows phone has some potential, but I think it's worth waiting a generation or two before making an investment in one.

Yeah, that's the way I feel. If Microsoft can prove themselves after a couple iterations of their software, as well as app/development showing that software companies will support it, I'll be more inclined to try them out. Just curious since I see a lot of Windows Phone hype on the Internet...

I'm REALLY looking forward to Windows Phone, but I can't see switchng completely from Android yet.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Windows Phone, but I can't see switchng completely from Android yet.

I find Windows Phone kind of meh.

I played around with a Nokia Lumia 900 a while back, and I wasn't too impressed.

I feel like its a system with little to no merits, only in existence because a big bully of a company is behind it pushing it.

Zarathustra[H];1039124289 said:
I find Windows Phone kind of meh.

I played around with a Nokia Lumia 900 a while back, and I wasn't too impressed.

I feel like its a system with little to no merits, only in existence because a big bully of a company is behind it pushing it.

ive been using a WP7 and honestly I cannot wait to jump this shit ship. honestly the phone was dope for awhile.. but now i cannot wait to go iOS just for the app store alone. not to mention a music collection that is account bound. WP7 has no licensed music. its all one time purchases. do you know how obnoxious that is? this is 2012.. if i buy music i own that shit. i dont pay .99C for a single download thats bullshit.

even android is a significant upgrade from WP7 as they just dont have the developers to support the OS in the APP world. a couple of features are cool like the adobe reader and microsoft word, but nothing I havent used for more then a handful of times.

Just got my S3 yesterday and so far it owns. Verizon LTE in my area (Indiana) is also pretty spectacular:

243547420.png

Voice dialing works just fine, directly on the phone and through my BTH, and tethering works very well, I test connected two tablets and a laptop and had them all downloading just fine while making a phone call, and I just tried data while on a call directly on the phone and it works just as if I weren't. Also, the S3 should be getting Jellybean before the end of the year.

If you think that's spectacular, check this out (AT&T):

242723562.png

Hilariously, this is 2-3 times faster than my home connection...and I pay for the higher speed plans.

I don't see much of a reason to wait for iPhone5. I wasn't a huge fan of the stock experience but put on cm10 and the S3 becomes a beast of a phone. By the way, while cm10 is not officially released, the nightlies have been remarkably stable for me.

243547420.png

AT&T just turned LTE on in my area (central/north NJ) and I'm getting about 40mb down, 25 up. It's great, but so over the top unneccessary.

If you think that's spectacular, check this out (AT&T):

242723562.png

Hilariously, this is 2-3 times faster than my home connection...and I pay for the higher speed plans.

I don't see much of a reason to wait for iPhone5. I wasn't a huge fan of the stock experience but put on cm10 and the S3 becomes a beast of a phone. By the way, while cm10 is not officially released, the nightlies have been remarkably stable for me.

I've clocked speeds like that on occasion (late at night, when not many people are around) on Verizon, but its not the norm.

The norm - however - is still much faster than I need on a phone, except - for some reason - in Everett, MA where I work, where both AT&T and Verizon have the same issue. Good signal indication (4 or 5 bars) but miserable data speeds.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of strange interference here...

yeah... I'm still holding out :) One more day (at least until I can see the official specs).

Of course, my wife is leaning towards the iphone for something "easy and simple" and I'm still leaning towards the GS3. Not to mention, after the announcement, I can go to the store and pick up a GS3 tomorrow afternoon/evening and be done... while if she really wants an iPhone we have to get on the pre-order list and wait another couple weeks :(

haha...nope. I actually want to be able to talk on my phone without holding some beast of a device against my head ;) I've looked at the Note and just could never see myself using it in public... let alone waiting for one that has an even bigger screen....

I am in the same boat right now. I would just really wish there was a windows phone 8 out right now so that I would be able to make a more informed decision but alas.

I was in the same boat as the OP, originally owning a 3GS whose battery life was atrocious. It would get anywhere between 3% and 25% and would just shut down. Restarting it would be a crapshoot, maybe boot? maybe not? Either way, I got fed up not only with the battery, but with apple for being such nazis and AT&T for their spotty service. I was initially going to wait for the 4S, but it sucked. Then the 5, but at that time, I already had owned an android tablet for about a year and loved the experience. So I was looking into the RAZR MAXX and the S3. Then apple completely pushed my buttons and I ditched them and went with the S3 on Verizon. Best decision and I couldn't be happier. Simultaneous voice and data too, even over 3G. My vote? S3 hands down.

Well... I can't say that I was "wowed" by the iPhone release. Of course, with no real information released on processor speed or battery specs (besides 8 hours talk time) it didn't seem to give a lot of deciding information.

Leaving the phone the same width leaves the same issue I have with my 3GS... the keyboard is tiny when held in portrait mode (texting one handed). All the time they spent on panoramic and still photos while recording video... my understanding is the GS3 already does that.

Looks like it will have a better camera.. but it's not like I really take photos with my phone anyways. The extra noise cancellation and audio features do sound nice though.

Will probably end up with both (iphone for the wife, GS3 for me) and then use the 14 days to really get a good feel for how they compare and possibly switch the GS3 if I feel the need (she's pretty set on "I want an iPhone").

I'm in the same boat trying to decide between an iphone5 and a galaxy s3. I am however, done with AT&T. Their coverage has actually degraded so bad where I live the phone is literally unusable. They also refuse to actually try and troubleshoot the issue...engineers and tech support won't call back, etc. I have a work provided blackberry with Verizon that has good signal and coverage everywhere I go. The blackberry is a slow useless piece of shit, so keeping it as my main phone would not be fun.

I know Verizon also has a horrible reputation.... why can't companies just....not suck ?

Granted, it is possible to root the GS3 if you want, what is the feeling of the GS3 on Verizon vs ATT or Sprint? For example, the way they disable the use of Google Wallet and/or their locked bootloader?

Is there anything from Verizon that would not make me want to root the phone.. besides the fact that I think it is rediculous that one would even need to root the phone in the first place?

Also, the "no SIM" issue that seems to be plaguing only Verizon customers? Makes me second guess giving up ATT which my only problem with them has been coverage (dropped calls, weak or no signal on I-10 from Louisiana to Florida, extremely poor coverage in Sugarland, TX where I work).

Granted, it is possible to root the GS3 if you want, what is the feeling of the GS3 on Verizon vs ATT or Sprint? For example, the way they disable the use of Google Wallet and/or their locked bootloader?

Is there anything from Verizon that would not make me want to root the phone.. besides the fact that I think it is rediculous that one would even need to root the phone in the first place?

Also, the "no SIM" issue that seems to be plaguing only Verizon customers? Makes me second guess giving up ATT which my only problem with them has been coverage (dropped calls, weak or no signal on I-10 from Louisiana to Florida, extremely poor coverage in Sugarland, TX where I work).

No reason to not root. TouchWiz sucks. Loading up an AOSP build like CM10 makes the already fast SGS3 even faster. Not to mention being to toss the bloat the OEM's and carriers load up. It's YOUR phone not theirs. Do with it whatever you want.

Locked bootloader has been bypassed...twice. Once with kexec the other by flashing an unsecure bootloader. Google Wallet is still available and usable on Verizon phones. You just have to know how to do it.

Now that we've seen what Apple has done with the iPhone 5, there is no reason to pick it over recent high end Androids.

No reason to not root. TouchWiz sucks. Loading up an AOSP build like CM10 makes the already fast SGS3 even faster. Not to mention being to toss the bloat the OEM's and carriers load up. It's YOUR phone not theirs. Do with it whatever you want.

Locked bootloader has been bypassed...twice. Once with kexec the other by flashing an unsecure bootloader. Google Wallet is still available and usable on Verizon phones. You just have to know how to do it.

Not everyone feels the same way. TW is actually quite a great skin. If you look on XDA, quite a few people actually prefer the TW launcher to Nova/Apex since its smoother. The TouchWiz camera app is quite simply the best, and once again many people on AOSP/CM rom's want it.

Running the stock rooted rom with a few simple tweaks (like remove persistent wifi) is a great experience on the GS3 - all the features, great battery life, and no issues with gps/data that are present on nearly every other rom.

I preordered iPhone5. I've been using Android since 2 years ago. Granted I was on the Google Nexus S (Google exp no bloatware), the phone is still relatively sluggish even to this day. This may be due to the single core cpu. I've installed many roms / kernels and I've had too much random reboots, phone freezes, or what not. So I decided to experiment and get an iPhone5. This will be my 1st iPhone :) Hopefully I will like this, or else I'm swapping back to an Android (Galaxy S3).

I am however, done with AT&T. Their coverage has actually degraded so bad where I live the phone is literally unusable. They also refuse to actually try and troubleshoot the issue...engineers and tech support won't call back, etc.
ATT is horrible. I switched to them from Tmobile a few months ago and have been nothing but disappointed. Their tech support is the worst I've ever seen from ANY company and their service is deplorable. Don't even get me started on their speeds. Tmobile was literally more than 4 times faster. You'll be happy with Verizon's speeds and coverage.

Zarathustra[H];1039136342 said:
Now that we've seen what Apple has done with the iPhone 5, there is no reason to pick it over recent high end Androids.

can't say enough, now this shows who copies who haha.

For those with the Galaxy S3, what is your experience with using the phone outdoors? I've read that there are issues with visibility in sunlight, even worse than previous Galaxy phones.

Also, any problems with battery usage? I know you can get an extra battery for S3 for really heavy usage, but I don't think I'm in that camp ;) Apple seems to be showing some pretty impressive battery performance (11 hours vs 9 hours for the S3 on Engadget's battery test), but I'm already used to charging my phone every night (and actually in the car during commute and even sometimes at work :( )...

For those with the Galaxy S3, what is your experience with using the phone outdoors? I've read that there are issues with visibility in sunlight, even worse than previous Galaxy phones.

Also, any problems with battery usage? I know you can get an extra battery for S3 for really heavy usage, but I don't think I'm in that camp ;) Apple seems to be showing some pretty impressive battery performance (11 hours vs 9 hours for the S3 on Engadget's battery test), but I'm already used to charging my phone every night (and actually in the car during commute and even sometimes at work :( )...

Yeah, the screen can be hard to see in direct sunlight. I don't know if it is any worse than my captivate, actually it might be slightly better than the captivate. I plug my phone in over night most of the time so I don't have a problem. I love the phone btw.

Back