• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wait for ATI R520 or Not?

TheOne5533

n00b
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
30
I am buying a new computer at the either this month or early august. I want to know if I should go ahead and buy a comp with a 7800GTX now or if I should wait til august or buy now? I have a functioning computing just figure it's been 4 years time to upgrade.
 
Yeah I was kind of in the same boat as you. Finally upgraded my PC after 3 years or so and decided to go with the 7800. I learned a long time ago to stop waiting for the newest gpu's as something will always come out in 6 months thats most likely better. Even when the new ati part comes out and if its faster I'm sure you will have little to no trouble playing the latest games on your 7800 with more then adequate performance.
 
Wow, this is the 4th 'wait for R520?' thread in as many days. :)

Since we know practically nothing for sure about R520 it's a hard question to answer. Performance, features, specifications, pricing, when we'll see decent availability.......there's too many things we don't know to be able answer your question. As Danks said, the waiting game can last forever - at some point you've got to look at the 'here and now'. The 7800GTX is a seriously quick card and should make you a happy gamer for quite a long time. R520 may end up quicker but you'll still have a seriously quick card in your machine if you go for the GTX now.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the end result whatever you choose to do - video cards have come a loooong way since 2001. ;)
 
i would say wait - even if it is for other 7800 based cards simple because this card is SO new that there are liekly to still be buggy drivers, issues with the cards - NVIDIA lying about it's actual clock speeds in 3d mode...

:D

i would wait.
 
Just wait a bit for a bechmark of both the card and AMR, it could be worth the wait,
 
Just buy the 7800GTX. You'll be happy knowing that you got it when it was the fastest card available, and no one has any idea when the r520 is coming. It could be in August, it could be in November by the time it's available. Who knows?
 
Last I heard the r520 will not be here till September (or later), so you may as well get a 7800GTX. You can always upgrade later, although the GTX already runs everything out there at max settings so there may be little reason to upgrade.
 
MrGuvernment said:
because this card is SO new that there are liekly to still be buggy drivers, issues with the cards - NVIDIA lying about it's actual clock speeds in 3d mode...
Apparently, G70 (7800GTX) is the artist formerly known as NV47 - that might give you a clue as to how 'new' the architecture is! G70 is NV40 on steroids - a great performer but hardly revolutionary. So don't worry about driver maturity, they should be pretty solid for that architecture after this long.

And as for NV lying about clock-speeds in 3D mode..... what would they gain by telling people the clock-speed was *lower* than it really is? Since GHz/MHz is still heavily used in product marketing to tell everyone how fast your product is, I fail to see why NV would try to convince us the G70 is slower than it really is? This could just be Rivatuner reporting the clockspeed incorrectly after all.... :)
 
if you can afford buying a 7800gtx and the r520s when they come out...buy one...otherwise id just w8...dont forget: good things come to those who w8(to a certain extent) :)
 
Mister E said:
lol

not every1 is made of money. and i know it grows on trees, but those are illegal. :eek:

buy now, sell your video card and get some money back and upgrade as needed

better?

the point is if you keep waiting, you'll be waiting for the next big thing forever, computer hardware evolves fast, video cards quicker than other pieces it seems
 
I was in the same boat as you, and after deliberating over it for a long time, I came up with what is imo the perfect solution.

I bought an eVGA 7800 GTX. If R520 comes out within the next three months, I can upgrade (for free, probably) to whatever nVidia launches to compete with ATI (a 7800 Ultra or something maybe) using the eVGA step up program. So even if R520 is >> a 7800 GTX (somewhat unlikely), it is very likely nVidia has a higher clock part waiting in the wings to steal ATIs thunder, which will almost certainly be competitive with R520.
 
coz said:
Apparently, G70 (7800GTX) is the artist formerly known as NV47 - that might give you a clue as to how 'new' the architecture is! G70 is NV40 on steroids - a great performer but hardly revolutionary. So don't worry about driver maturity, they should be pretty solid for that architecture after this long.

And as for NV lying about clock-speeds in 3D mode..... what would they gain by telling people the clock-speed was *lower* than it really is? Since GHz/MHz is still heavily used in product marketing to tell everyone how fast your product is, I fail to see why NV would try to convince us the G70 is slower than it really is? This could just be Rivatuner reporting the clockspeed incorrectly after all.... :)

I prefer that sometimes than a completely new architecture... As we know, that G70 is an evolutionnary product, mostly based on the 6800 design. So, knowing this, how could this G70 drive to problem since it is about the same card? I believe you are more exposed to a plethora of bugs with "revolutionnary" products. Since they are sooooo new, they tend to have a lot of bugs. I am more confident in a 7800GTX since the 6800 has been tried and true than in an upcoming and "revolutionnary" R520 (it has been speculated that way).

Para
 
Parabellum said:
I prefer that sometimes than a completely new architecture... As we know, that G70 is an evolutionnary product, mostly based on the 6800 design. So, knowing this, how could this G70 drive to problem since it is about the same card?
Yeah, I agree 100%. Being a tried-and-tested architecture means mature drivers, a minimum of problems in existing games (and games in development), it's a plus for G70 as far as I'm concerned. The 6800 feature set was ahead of it's time anyway so why not just focus on tweaking more speed from the same architecture with G70 - looks like that approach worked very well for the green machine.
 
Buy the 7800 and dont look back,nobody knows how the r520 will perform and when it will be available. I think Nvidia surprized ATI (and everybody else) with the 7800 release and availablility,I'm kind of wondering what the r520 will be like performance wise. Personally i think the problem with manufacturing process is bullshit and they want to make it availble at launch.
 
I would probably wait a little longer for some more budget orientated cards are released. I'm sure there will be a mid-range 7800 to compliment the 7800GTX just like there was the 6800GT for the 6800 Ultra. And they may overclock well enough to give you pretty much the same performance. I've got an ATI X800XL right now and i dont really think i'll upgrade it till this fall when the R520 shows up and i can have more choices and compare the performance and prices. I could just buy a 7800GTX but i dont really game enough to actually warrant the $550+ price tag. I'd much rather have something in the $300-$400 range.
 
ive been waiting for a freaking years.. i still have a 9700 pro which i got right when it came out at full price
 
burningrave101 said:
I would probably wait a little longer for some more budget orientated cards are released. I'm sure there will be a mid-range 7800 to compliment the 7800GTX just like there was the 6800GT for the 6800 Ultra. And they may overclock well enough to give you pretty much the same performance. I've got an ATI X800XL right now and i dont really think i'll upgrade it till this fall when the R520 shows up and i can have more choices and compare the performance and prices. I could just buy a 7800GTX but i dont really game enough to actually warrant the $550+ price tag. I'd much rather have something in the $300-$400 range.

The 7800GTX might be the midrange card....who knows for sure.
 
coz said:
And as for NV lying about clock-speeds in 3D mode..... what would they gain by telling people the clock-speed was *lower* than it really is? Since GHz/MHz is still heavily used in product marketing to tell everyone how fast your product is, I fail to see why NV would try to convince us the G70 is slower than it really is? This could just be Rivatuner reporting the clockspeed incorrectly after all.... :)


so they can et higher score in bechmarks claiming to have such a low clock speed, what else.

And who said anything about Rivatuner :)

if it is okay to post this:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=396484

i do beleive Viper John is very reputable, now - this is not a bad thing in terms of performance to your everyday user, but the bottom line is - NVIDIA is lying - again. when they REALLY dont need to with this line.

Now i doubt NVIDIA will admit to this, if it is true, but from what was found out - so far it looks very liekly.
 
Back
Top