• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

w00t, back in the game!

dementer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2001
Messages
1,826
well the weather has started to cool off here in Minnesota (19F or so last night) my room test has began to decline for the Über hot summer, it is now getting rather chilly, infact almost cold...

TIME TO START FOLDING FOR THE [H]

I love heating me room using my p4 ;) :D

it gets way too hot in my room in the summer, but when winter come around i can crank it up and heat my room :)

i started it up last night, this morn my room was warm, not all cold and stuff like yesterday morn...

anyways, i am back on the game...

who else is a winter/when my room gets cold folder only?
 
SmokeRngs said:
People turn their computers off? :eek:

If I find out anyone turns off a computer that I built for them I break off the damn power switch and tell them no to touch it again or it will electrocute them.

Oh, and welcome back dementer. :)
 
Dark Ember said:
You can hot wire them? And all these years I've been using a screwdriver... ;)


I like the screwdriver trick, it impresses all the n00bs and wanabees. Plus chicks dig it. ;)
 
pageian said:
I like the screwdriver trick, it impresses all the n00bs and wanabees. Plus chicks dig it. ;)

Damn, I thought I was cool because I used a ball point pen to do it.
 
SmokeRngs said:
Damn, I thought I was cool because I used a ball point pen to do it.


Thats like SO 3rd grade... Screwdrivers and needle nose pliers are where its at! :p

And hot soldering irons
//joking
 
dementer said:
well the weather has started to cool off here in Minnesota (19F or so last night) my room test has began to decline for the Über hot summer, it is now getting rather chilly, infact almost cold...

TIME TO START FOLDING FOR THE [H]

I love heating me room using my p4 ;) :D

it gets way too hot in my room in the summer, but when winter come around i can crank it up and heat my room :)

i started it up last night, this morn my room was warm, not all cold and stuff like yesterday morn...

anyways, i am back on the game...

who else is a winter/when my room gets cold folder only?

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota is where my family lived from 1957 to 1963. I recall "White Forth of July's"! But then I was only a little kid, still, it seemed to snow ALL the time! Isn't it always cold there? LOL.

My Dad was transfered there for reasons I can't remember, but I recall Lake Superior very well. And the big statue of Paul Bunyan and his Ox Blue in St. Paul.

Welcome back to Folding, and a big hello to Minnesota. :D
 
I thought I was the only one who needed to keep his computers on/folding to keep warm in the winter! :p
 
Dark Ember said:
Thats like SO 3rd grade... Screwdrivers and needle nose pliers are where its at! :p

And hot soldering irons
//joking


Don't forget tongue studs and nipple rings. Those work too. :D
 
pageian said:
Don't forget tongue studs and nipple rings. Those work too. :D

I have use alligator clips before, too. Maybe I should get the jumper cables out of the car and try those. :p
 
SmokeRngs said:
I have use alligator clips before, too. Maybe I should get the jumper cables out of the car and try those. :p

Maybe try some blobs of mercury too?
 
Dark Ember said:
Maybe try some blobs of mercury too?

That's a good idea. I wonder why I didn't think of that. Mercury is a bit of a pain in the ass to get, though. I bet I could hit up a local school or something for some. I know way back in grade school we got to play around with some. I'm sure there's still some around for one reason or another.
 
I have a CNR card that I use to turn on the farm... Other things work too; you can moisten your finger and use that if you try enough times. Fun.

I have an off switch, it's called a circuit breaker. :rolleyes:
 
unhappy_mage said:
I have a CNR card that I use to turn on the farm... Other things work too; you can moisten your finger and use that if you try enough times. Fun.

I have an off switch, it's called a circuit breaker. :rolleyes:

About the only one I know of is not paying the electric company. And I'll be damned before that happens.
 
pageian said:
I like the screwdriver trick, it impresses all the n00bs and wanabees. Plus chicks dig it. ;)
How does THAT work? Erm, the screwdriver part, not the chicks that is. How does one turn on their compy with a screwdriver, or their tongue?
 
Definitely a party trick, LAN party to be precise.

BTW: Thanks to y'all for breaking my gloom. I was about ready to shut down the farm and part it out, at least until I read the threads today. Humor. Gotta love it! :)

As far as cold weather folding? I fold 24/7/365, and with the oil prices I'm seeing for this season, it could be that FAH supplemental heat will be the bright spot in my bills. :eek:
 
sac_tagg said:
How does THAT work? Erm, the screwdriver part, not the chicks that is. How does one turn on their compy with a screwdriver, or their tongue?

Temporarily connect the two power pins on the motherboard using your choice weapon, be it your tongue or screwdriver. It will create a temporary short and power on the system. Once you hear it power up, though, pull it away.

I once didn't know which pins were used to power on a system, so I used trial and error. Bad decision. Sparks went flying and burned out the trident card in there.:( Thats one less that will aide the folding effort. Still don't have that system up, must remedy that...

Welcome back, dementer. Glad to have you with us again. Strikemaster, glad you didn't leave us. Just between us, I think the old men here are losing their minds. Makes for great comedy though.;)
 
i fold as much as i can, but in the heat of the summer it gets fuggin HOT in minnesota, and my A/C doesn't keep up with it

i miss my basement were I could OC and fold all i wanted and never got a bit of heat out of it, Aww the nice cold concete I had at my feet...

now I am in a 3rd story room that gets Über hot half the year and Über cold the other half...

got to love new houses'....


edit, oh and by the way, my intel 550 with a mobo that can OC will be here just as soon as intel will verify I work at Best Buy....
 
CBR said:
Temporarily connect the two power pins on the motherboard using your choice weapon, be it your tongue or screwdriver. It will create a temporary short and power on the system. Once you hear it power up, though, pull it away.
I usually use whatever I find lying around that's vaguely metallic. Entertained the daughter by starting her computer on the bench with a Hershey's Kiss.

I don't remember month to month what pins start what machine. Fortunately, 8 of the folders do it on their own after a power outage. It's like a metallic army of the undead or something! Smack 'em down, put power to the lines and back they come, shrilling and moaning "Prooooteeeeiiiins!" through the cooling fans. :eek: :D
CBR said:
Welcome back, dementer. Glad to have you with us again. Strikemaster, glad you didn't leave us. Just between us, I think the old men here are losing their minds. Makes for great comedy though.;)
I'm 48, which is NOT old, regardless of my smart-ass daughter muttering "Denial's not just a river in Egypt, Dad!", followed by a laughingly delivered "Please don't smite me!".

Kids. :)
 
Strikemaster said:
I usually use whatever I find lying around that's vaguely metallic. Entertained the daughter by starting her computer on the bench with a Hershey's Kiss.

I don't remember month to month what pins start what machine. Fortunately, 8 of the folders do it on their own after a power outage. It's like a metallic army of the undead or something! Smack 'em down, put power to the lines and back they come, shrilling and moaning "Prooooteeeeiiiins!" through the cooling fans. :eek: :D

I've used such things as a steak knife, metal file, exacto knife, my fingers, a penny, screwdrivers, tweezers, and even a ps/2 adapter. Interestingly enough, they were all used within a two day period of time. Just make sure that one day they aren't moaning "Braaaaaaiiiiiiiiiins!".

Strikemaster said:
I'm 48, which is NOT old, regardless of my smart-ass daughter muttering "Denial's not just a river in Egypt, Dad!", followed by a laughingly delivered "Please don't smite me!".

Thats ALMOST 3 times as old as me.:eek: Sounds like you have an intelligent daughter. She knows you've already got a foot in the grave.

Strikemaster said:
Yeah, you can't live with us, and you can't kill us.
 
unhappy_mage said:
I have a CNR card that I use to turn on the farm... Other things work too; you can moisten your finger and use that if you try enough times. Fun.

I have an off switch, it's called a circuit breaker. :rolleyes:
well, more acurately miswired psu cables (don't ask...) on the power circuit leading to tripped circuit breakers. really effective power switch;)

Strikemaster's daughter said:
Denial's not just a river in Egypt, Dad!
to which you reply, "There's no such thing as Egypt."


:p
 
Carnival Forces said:
yeah...well.....have YOU ever been there? eh? yeah...that's what i thought... :p
that's what i'm saying. unless you got proof positive, it isn't there. (schroedinger's cat maybe?)

glad you're back folding anyways... personally, i just clocked my main box back ~600mhz over the summer. now it's back at 2.4 and folding (almost) 24/7... just have to get FAH starting at startup... grr
 
Back
Top